Drawing famous characters infringing?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Planetman, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    #1 Planetman, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    IF you draw those movie characters Minions and sell in a card pack as Minions in a fun drawing game is that actually infringement?

No way will they give an individual a licence I suspect which is totally unfair.I have not asked them yet but I asked others about licensing and all said no.I asked Pokemon for instance.

The thing is that someone has drawn the characters from their own creativity and own copyright so whats the law on this?

I could of course use my option of people drawing the characters themselves so this is definitely not infringement but cards pack is way better as I can advertise much better to people.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Do your own research, you lazy bum. In this case, do the obvious and ask a copyright lawyer.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Jeezzzz this doesn't get more obvious copyright infringement. You are trying to sell something use another companies IP.

I am sure they will give an individual a licence if you are willing to pay the appropriate fee/ they don't have exclusivity deals in place.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #4 Vovin, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015

Yeah, but a fee for Minion characters? That could cost quite a few quid.
    And always take into account, if you do not already have a successful track record with such licensing, the likelihood that you can obtain such a strong license is quite low. Copyright holders don't want stains on licenses which are as precious as the Minions are.

5. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1 for this.

I am sure licensing characters (such as the Minion characters) is entirely possible however there will be a cost and a list of demands related to licensing such as how the characters are used and featured in your product (eg: I doubt Disney would allow Mickey Mouse in a violent situation etc regardless of money).Furthermore, I echo what Vovin said regarding staining an IP - they will expect a certain level of quality (so you would need a track record of licensing IPs and using them well).

Anyway, to answer your question, what you described is indeed copyright infringement. You have no ownership over the Minions IP regardless of whether you draw the characters yourself.