iPad Draw Race

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Devilishly Good, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    itunes link - 99 cents

Draw your racing line and speed - Race and drift your way into a world league leader! Get behind the wheel of a real racing innovation on iPhone: Drawrace introduces a completely new type of game-and control mechanics, which will keep you hooked time after time. In 20 different race tracks, try to draw the best possible driving path and the optimal speed for the path – and watch how fast you are able to race through the tracks. By playing, you continuously learn how you could try to improve – and the improvement is continuous as there are many good ways to pass the tracks, and eventually, it is your skill that decides your success! In addition to 20 closely designed, fun and challenging tracks, you can also race against all other players around the globe over the network mode – or if you are playing with your friends, you can immediately test who has the best racing tactics in an exciting hot-seat multiplayer mode.

DrawRace introduces:

* Totally new "Draw and Drive" control system never seen before
    * Realistic driving model with skidding, braking and gas control
    * 20 unique, closely designed racing tracks for all the game modes
    * Single player races against computer, your own best drives and against the next driver in the global and national league
    * Networked multiplayer mode for racing against other drivers anywhere around the globe
    * Global and national leagues for network mode
    * Local hotseat multiplayer mode for 2 or 3 players
    * National network league in over 70 countries
    * Exclusively at iTunes app store!

RedLynx is an award-winning game developer for multiple gaming platforms, based in Helsinki, Finland. RedLynx’s best known games are Pathway to Glory (selected of Best Mobile Game of 2005 by Mobile Entertainment Forum), Reset Generation (among others, Pocketgamer 2008, 10/10 points), legendary RedLynx Trials-series with over 20 million unique players so far (web and PC, e.g. Acegamez 10/10), and as the latest success case, Monster Trucks Nitro for PC/Mac & iPhone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Wow... interesting gameplay :D

3. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I am intrigued.

Anyone TOFTT?

4. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

i'lll be nice:

5. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    So this is made by the same guys who did flight control? Nice! oh wait,... no, it's not them????:rolleyes:

6. k1ite

k1ite Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    Pharmacy Technician
    Loma Linda, California
    #6 k1ite, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    Wow such an amazing game. What you basically do is draw the best line throughout the track and see if you can beat the opponents racing line. seems you can play up to three players as a "hot seat" mode where each person draws their own line and compete for the fastest time.

So far the amount of tracks is a lot and hopefully they will continue adding more or if possible let us create tracks. I wish there was a way to customize the car some how even if it's a fresh coat of paint but this is a new release so we will never know.

For people that enjoyed games like Flight Control this is a nice diversion if you are into racing. Mind you everything is automatic after you draw the line so if you wanted to control the vehicles once the race starts that is a no go.

Ran the game on 3.0 with a Iphone 3GS

7. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    I just bought the game and spent some time with it. It's rather fun and I definetly got my buck's worth. The game reminds me of Firemint's two games, having the Flight Control-ish art style and addictive gameplay and Real Racing because it has cars and you really need to slow down during the corners otherwise you'll skid and lose speed in Draw Race. (I know it's silly to compare a 9.99 game to a 0.99 game but I just thought I'd share my views) It also reminds me of TaxiDrive, because the draw path style is the same. I agree with k1ite that they should add a track building mode.

8. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I did five races already and I enjoy the game a lot. You need a lot more than a fine line to win the race. The speed with which you are drawing the line determines the speed of your car, hence the way it handles itself in turns and lines.

For example, drawing a very fast line on a straight path and not slowing down in the following turn will cause the car to drift a lot in the turn. You'll lose a lot of time this way so you need clean lines and careful speed adjustments.

There is a national and a global leader board which is always a nice incentive to play again and again and get the best time.

really nice surprise for 0.79 euros and there's a ton of content that could be add in future updates if the dev follows this game up.

9. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    So, for those who have it, how is the online multiplayer?

10. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    that's cool, but do you control the gas and braking at all? I think that would add some element of skill like Slotz Racing.

11. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    Nope, you have a speed bar at the top of screen which shows well, your speed, but the only way to control it is to draw your line quicker or slower. This said, if you you stop going forward (speed line going close to zero) your car will do the same. No control on the brakes at all however.

As for online multiplayer, from what I tried it seems to me it's like Aurora Feint: you race against the ghost of some player in the leaderboard. Yeah, I hate you Finnish guy!

12. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

looks interesting, downloading now

13. Johannvonstranovic

Johannvonstranovic Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Salt Lake City, UT
    +1
    went to itunes and saw your five star review there as well, so I had to get it. Great game, thanks for the impressions. Those interested in this game may be interested in a secret project that I've been working on. We are getting close to releasing details, toucharcade will be the first to know:)!

14. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

I have a problem with network - connection through wi-fi is always broken - does anyone have the same?

15. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    only connected by cellular network, sorry I can't check wifi here.

16. gottaa

gottaa Active Member

Just got it, and iPhone 3G to iPod v1 on the same wifi and we can't connect, only tried once though and the pass mode thing I think makes it abit more fun, Once you get the top speed movement locked in I found it much easier to control it, as it doesn't track your finger speed above a certain speed, it just logs it at "max speed", so then when you think you slow down for corners you aren't actually slowing down.

Great fun though, and a fun control method, reminds me of my primary school games with a pencil and a sheet of A4 and having draw races, though this way it tracks the off course stuff better :)

17. Grouick

Grouick Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    It is really fun, I'm playing it with a friend in a 2 players mode and it's hella fun.

Loving it atm and best 1$ I spent.
    We need an international championship :D

18. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Awesomesawse

I really think this is an innovative title. During the beta test, I played through every single track. When I saw it drop this morning, I bought it immediately, just to support the developer. It's one of those games that you want to play "just one more time" and, luckily, there are tons of race tracks to allow for that. The tracks are presented in a top-down view, much like the arcade racer, Super Sprint. This game gives new meaning to the phrase "getting the best line around a corner", because the player literally does just that, by drawing the most efficient line for their race car. Speed is controlled by how fast the line is drawn, every step of the way. I may have more comments after playing through the release version, but for now, just know that this game is an absolute steal at 99 cents.

19. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Herefordshire, U.K.
    Same here, whenever I try to submit lap times to server, it says network error and to try again later...Seems their servers aren't working yet, which is a shame. Will leave it 24 hrs before posting a review on the app store highlighting this.

20. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Strange, it's working fine for me. I saw Zincous on the leaderboards too.