Universal Drakenlords: CCG Card Duels (By Everguild)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 24, 2016.

1. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Pocket tactcics had aslo mentioned it's not a permanent unlock either. If you fail you have to pay again. Maybe some people will grind that much or fork out the cash. I certainly don't think I can even afford that given that return in investment just isn't there.

Love that this is a small studio and the devs are on here. Kudos for that but I feel like the payment method here is just to aggressively placed on a game that feels like it needs to get a good player base just to stick around with it's obvious competitors. With elder scrolls and duellyst coming out soon I don't think that you're going to find people that want to pay 20 bucks for one card and not even know if this will be around.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    They claim you can earn everything in game but I've already encountered 2 1000 crystal gateways as well as many 100 crystal options in the campaign. PvP matches can earn you ONE crystal if you win. There are the occasional achievements that can earn you a one-time 5-50 crystals (once in a blue moon even 100) and even an ability to auto-earn 25 crystals every 24 hours, but no matter how you mix them up, unless you never buy a booster with your earned crystals, I don't think you'll ever reach 1000 crystals in your lifetime short of dropping some real cash.

Even better, the devs likely intentionally have no 1000 crystal packages in the store, so you'll need to pony up $19.99 for 1500 crystals if you want to ensure you'll have enough since $9.99 only gets you 600 crystals.

3. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I like the game a lot but I think the prices for cards and packs are a bit expensive, especially as they are a similar price to Hearthstone. I feel the prices should be considerably less and then it might attract players who do not want to pay Hearthstone prices.

4. Everguild

Everguild Active Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wow, so much talk! Thanks for getting involved! Let's get to it. First things first:

The Expansion Campaigns are unlocked permanently. Pocket Tactics reviewed our beta build: at that time expansions worked more like an RPG. We dropped this before launch in favour of a pay-once model where you get a set of the cards as you beat the bosses.

Now that that's out of the way. I'll get to talk more about pricing and such bellow. Replies in order of arrival:

Thanks so much for your support! Right now the Arena price is fixed for the moment. We'll be keeping an eye on it.
    As for the daily deals, they are always a choice of three cards you can buy directly.

Let's take a look at the arena rewards breakdown:

12 victories: 2 booster packs, 80 gold, 1 Epic or Legendary card.
    11 victories: 2 booster packs, 60 gold, 1 Epic card.
    10 victories: 1 booster pack, 70 gold, 1 Epic card.
    9 victories: 1 booster pack, 10 gold, 1 Epic card.
    8 victories: 1 booster pack, 120 gold, 1 Rare card.
    7 victories: 1 booster pack, 80 gold, 1 Rare card.
    6 victories: 1 booster pack, 50 gold, 1 Rare card.
    5 victories: 1 booster pack, 30 gold, 1 Rare card.
    4 victories: 1 booster pack, 10 gold, 1 Rare card.
    3 victories: 1booster pack, 20 gold, 1 Common card.
    2 victories: 1 booster pack, 10 gold, 1 Common card.
    1 victory: 1 booster pack, 5 gold, 1 Common card.
    0 victories: 1 booster pack, 1 Common card.

Since we don't reward gems back, we make it easier to get your run's worth: 4 Victories are already worth 150 gems. 5 victories are 2 booster packs' worth.

Apologies for not making it clearer in game: the 1000 gems Expansion Campaigns are new storylines aside of the free campaign. Instead of booster packs, you get two copies of 9 specific cards as rewards, including Epic and Legendaries. Follow this link to check which cards you get in each expansion. Note that you need to unlock the four chapters of the Legend of Kruhh expansion in order.

An, of course, the value you get for any expansion is worth much more than 10 booster packs!

While the investment is comparable, the value you get from it isn't: if you turned the 9 cards (and their copies) you earn in one of our Legend of Kruhh expansions you would get around 3600 gold. Turn all the cards you earn in an adventure wing of Hearthstone and you get around 900 dust. Since we do have similar economies, even if we made an exact Gold-to-Dust conversion, we'd still come out way ahead in bang for buck. This is because you get more Epics and Legendaries.

In closing, we believe the ease of getting your gems' worth in Arena runs, the value you get from Expansions and the many ways to earn free Gems makes for a fair deal. We're of course open to suggestions. Nothing is set in stone.

5. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    #45 nosoup4crr, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Setting aside campaign rewards, the value of which is contingent upon relative rarity/value of specific cards, the rest of the reward structure is out of whack.

Sure, it's easy to say that arena is worth it because of the reward. Yes, it may make sense compared to simply purchasing boosters. But hearthstone is a game which, by rewarding the same currency arena costs, creates perpetual wealth. It literally had the potential to be infinitely more rewarding...and even with average play, the reward is often enough gold to play again while also being awarded dust and some card.

Why is that important? Because without perpetual arena play, we are relegated to simple pvp. We have no other options. And while the sealed deck format is certainly less dynamic than a draft, it's still nice to have options that don't deplete my resources.

Instead, I'm forced to play pvp to gain currency. One gem per game. HS offers 333% of that. I have to play 100 games to earn a pack. HS's number is somewhat prohibitive, let alone yours. HS rewards a free pack per week with brawl, as well. I haven't seen all your quests yet, but so far I haven't seen any with 100 gem value (HS has multiples. But moot point if you have many as well).

And if you were offering a product as polished as hearthstone, with as many options as hearthstone, and the player base and cultural importance as hearthstone, then maybe you could make a few tweaks to mimic their pay/reward structure. But I think you're seeing, in this thread, that being asked to even pay HS money for your product feels unfair to us.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I wouldn't expect you to give the expansion exclusive cards for free, am I right in assuming to buy into the current expansions for real money I'd be expected to pay OVER $50!?

Or does paying the 1000 for Chapter 1 of Legend of Kruhh allow me to get the followup chapters at a discount? Also for 1000 crystal am I just getting the equivalent of a quick mine run or something more akin to the initial free campaign?

I enjoy your game and would LIKE to support you, but even Hearthstone never came close to charging this kind of money for its solo expansions, and they don't have anything to prove at this point (i.e. not a scrappy little development team trying to get a foothold in the crowded TCG market).

7. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I enjoy the game. I respect the dev's consistent replies. However, the prices are too high for a brand new card game from an unknown (perhaps new) company. I refuse to pay these prices on a game that may not exist in the following months. I would gladly pay a dollar a pack or at least provide weekly or monthly deals. I think the single player expansions are too expensive to buy each/every section as well. These are just my opinions.

8. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    This is a very interesting discussion. I have a huge backlog so no need to jump in right away. Cudos to the dev for continuous replies and for the TA community for their constructive criticism.

I just want to say one thing about the arena balance: I play hearthstone exclusively because of arena and with a 6-7win average I do get almost infinity arena runs and for people who enjoy that game mode more than constructed, this is a nice way to keep parts of player Base happy as a developer.

9. Xandrak

Xandrak Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Definitely expensive cards, especially given the lack of track record. I completed the arena run and did get 12 wins but only received Chameleon. I've played against it in the sealed deck several times and it's been useless.

10. Everguild

Everguild Active Member

Nov 3, 2016
    iOS users: An update is available with many fixes, including the starter pack displaying the correct amount of booster packs you get, and a clearer registration screen. Thanks again for reporting these!

Regarding pricing, a huge thanks for having this insightful conversation with us. We hear you loud and clear and we will take another look our pricing and rewards with everything you've said in mind.

11. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    #51 Underwater, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    The constructive criticism nosoup4crr gave, was exactly the reason I came to this thread; he nailed it.

I've been playing the game, and it's been enjoyable, especially the campaign. But mainly the multiplayer arena is not rewarding at all. In Hearthstone, I had to urge to become better at arena, so I could earn gold from it, and buy packs and expansions with said gold. This isn't the case in this game, so f2players (Even the really good players) and low(+medium?)-spenders will run into a paywall after a while.

I'm glad the developers are actively responding to the comments, it's a good sign. And while what I said has been said before, I just want to stress how important this is to players like me. Other than that, the game has some nice aspects like the pack system in the shop, that differs this game slightly from some of its competitors. Drakenlords has good unspent potential, and I hope a future update will unleash some of that potential by fixing the reward system!

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks, that's all I could ask for.

13. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I agree with Lord Gek and the others. I do like this game, and want to keep playing it because I'm getting better at it and my skills improve, not give up on it because I can't afford to get to that point. I think the average player feels this way. Please, devs, don't price your potential players out of your market.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah. I'm even okay with you still making new classes and mines 100 crystal purchases, it's just those 1000 crystal purchases that really hurt.

One possible solution, create a special package, kind of like what they did in Pathfinder Adventures, that completely bypasses the whole crystal economy, and lets you buy the current complete set of expansions for a significantly discounted bundle price compared to the cost of buying all of the 5000 crystals needed otherwise.

15. Xandrak

Apr 10, 2013
    Looks like I need friends for my daily quest. Add me (Xandrak) if you would. If you do it through the referral mechanic we will get a pack each but just through the friend feature would be great.

Thanks!

16. Xandrak

Apr 10, 2013
    #56 Xandrak, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Wrong thread...

17. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Request sent

18. Everguild

Everguild Active Member

Nov 3, 2016
  19. Everguild

Everguild Active Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Today marks one week since we released Drakenlords. We have some news to share:

FIRST SEALED DECK ARENA CONTEST
    [​IMG]

Would you like to play your own deck in the Arena and get a chance to earn 4000 gems? We will be introducing up to 10 player created decks in our next content update. Click here to check how to take part! Everyone submitting a deck gets an Early Bird promo card.

You can also vote on your favourite submitted decks. Community Favourite's Prizes will be given to the to the builders of the 5 most voted decks.

Deadline for deck submission and voting ends 10:00AM (UK time) on December 12th. Good luck!

UPDATED SEALED ARENA REWARDS
    Speaking of the Arena, you might have noticed you get gems back now at the end of your run! Kudos to the Touch Arcade community; this one’s thanks to you:

New Sealed Deck Arena Rewards:
    12 wins: 2 packs, 145 gems, 1 Epic or Legendary card.
    11 wins: 1 pack, 130 gems, 1 Epic card.
    10 wins: 1 pack, 120 gems, 1 Epic card.
    9 wins: 1 pack, 110 gems, 1 Epic card.
    8 wins: 1 pack, 100 gems, 1 Rare card.
    7 wins: 1 pack, 90 gems, 1 Rare card.
    6 wins: 1 pack, 80 gems, 1 Rare card.
    5 wins: 1 pack, 70 gems, 1 Rare card.
    4 wins: 1 pack, 60 gems, 1 Rare card.
    3 wins: 1 pack, 50 gems, 1 Common card.
    2 wins: 1 pack, 40 gems, 1 Common card.
    1 wins: 1 pack, 30 gems, 1 Common card.
    0 wins: 1 pack, 20 gems, 1 Common card.

NEW COMPETITIVE SEASON HAS BEGUN
    Today is the beginning of competitive Season 3 (the previous 2 began during soft launch). Play ranked PvP to ensure a guaranteed prize at the end of the season!

QUALITY OF LIFE TWEAKS
    ● Updated minimum warlord level to unlock Expansion Campaigns: Some players thought the Expansion Campaigns were a direct continuation of the free Campaign. We raised the level at which they become available to avoid this.
    ● Fixed connection errors: You should experience more stable games from now on.
    ● Speeded up animations when starting a match and changing turns: Pace is important. Now you can play faster.

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    If you offered an offline solo campaign (something similar to Spectromancer) for a premium price I would gladly pay for that option.
    I simply refuse to pay money for a online game that relies on a small game developer to keep the servers running. I have been burnt before.
    Just saying, thats all.