Universal DragonSpear-EX (by Game2Gather)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anotherkellydown, Feb 4, 2022.

1. naghihimutuc

naghihimutuc Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Okay, weird female human bodyparts-specific physics aside, the game is eye candy. I have a little issue about slightly floaty fight physics but everything about the game is on-point. It’s a premium beat-em up game with 6 different characters, a slightly interesting backstory which kind of opens up slowly (one of the characters is apparently a prince, the girl I’m playing supposedly was the leader of some defunct mercenary group, etc) and there’s some character customization involved.

Also, I’m not sure if this will change in the future but the gacha mechanics, well, you grind and you cannot pay your way through it. No paywall. You just… play. Playwall? :D

It’s a beautiful premium beat-em-up game with f2p bells and whistles and absolutely none NONE nada zilch nyet walang hangups of f2p bullshit. You just pay once and play.

GET IT.

2. You can grind for equipment, but there is no point in doing it as the main game are the online raids where you get… exactly, the endgame gear.

The art is heavily “inspired” by Vanillaware‘s “Dragon’s Crown”, but in al honestly, I prefer the fast pacing fighting in here.

Also, As @metalcasket pointed, this was an iOS freemium game that was ported to pc and now, back to iOS. Actually, last year they launched it in China as a free gacha game, so I’m surprised they decided to put it in the west as a premium one. I’m happy they did!

The gameplay is like a mix of Dragons Crow and Dungeon Fighter Online, but cheaper.

For me, this is the best release in ages.

LiQuiD and naghihimutuc like this.
  3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I’m even enjoying this. I usually avoid these games where every screenshot has women with unrealistically large “assets” (not that it isn’t pleasing to look at) because I assume they’re all similar free-to-play gotcha grind fests. On top of that, when I see tons of virtual buttons in the bottom right, I feel like the controls will be way too complicated. This is.. not that. The buttons are easy to get used to and I’m really enjoying the fast paced combat. The graphics are really great too. I’m very early on, but I don’t regret my purchase one bit. I picked the Pirate Gunner chick. She’s pretty awesome!

houseofg and naghihimutuc like this.
  4. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Anyone? Bueller?

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No Backbone support.

6. I’ll try it as soon as I hit home.

7. My 8bitdo SNES 30 is not working neither.

8. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    Appreciate the responses to the controller question! I should have specified that I have an Xbox Series X controller. Anyone have an Xbox controller and can confirm or deny Xbox controller support for this game?

9. gaberaph

gaberaph Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    So I just saw a Reddit post about the game where someone commented on how there is no controller support yet! Maybe in an update? Fingers crossed! Still getting it now tho

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So is the gameplay decent ? Is it like an updated golden axe kinda thing ?

One player scrolling beat em up ? Very tempted

11. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    Thanks for your response!

gaberaph likes this.
  12. Anotherkellydown

From the 5 or 6 stages I’ve played it’s just a town hub where you can do all kinds of upgrading, and linear map with stops for the different stages. You move from left to right beating up bad guys while trying to get as long a combo as possible. It’s more of a beat-’em-up than an RPG but it definitely has RPG elements.

Anyone know how to free those damsels in distress in one of the first few stages? If it’s something you can do later on then don’t answer that. I’m sure that’s the case - that you have to return there later with an ability that lets you free them.

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #33 L.Lawliet, Feb 6, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    From what I understand, freeing them doesn't do anything except trigger some dialogue between them and the character. Certain characters will free them while others won't. Later you'll see tied up goblins and only certain characters will free them. I guess it's based on their personality. So far it seems the Pirate girl won't free anyone apparently. It's a cool touch even though it doesn't really do anything gameplay wise.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  14. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I've been playing a ton, also grinding online. I now know that people drop out of the longer online stage party room, and want to grind the short stages for easy drops. It's irritating but whatever.

My favorite character is definitely the Fighter. Then second is the Sorceror. I've tried out every character and played each one a bit until decided those two to invest most of my time in. I've been unlocking cosmetics and changing the skin of my gear to make myself look as cool and flashy as possible. I join lobbies and always get jealous when I see some level 50 with crazy looking skins / gear. Despite the fun gameplay, I think it's the unique cosmetics that really make this game special.

And after some many hours I got a pet to drop. It was a pain but I got the first two raid pets. The first one is particularly troublesome because of the longer stage and people rarely willing to do that stage (dropping out of the lobby). Actually my biggest complaint so far is there's no stat tracking. I'd love to see enemies killed / raid attempts / time spent etc. The usual stats. Unfortunately there's achievements and thorough encyclopedia but no stats.

Here's my current look:

[​IMG]

15. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    My 11 year old daughter and I are enjoying playing this together , I’m about a level 35 now I’m enjoying playing as the Gunner but I’ve tried several characters so far. If you see a Repulsa in the raid lobby, that’s me :) a question about the vanity, does anyone know how you get most of the really cool sets In the category “Special” ?

16. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    That's nice to hear!

Looking at the Special requirements it seems you need to unlock the corresponding stage on "Gap of the Abyss" and grind for the items. You can see the requirements by attempting to buy them. I'm sure you probably know already but you need to S rank an entire campaign area to unlock a new "Gap of the Abyss" raid. So it may take some time but it gives you something to work towards. Hopefully that helps!

17. Anotherkellydown

Thanks for the answer about the tied up girls. That’s pretty interesting how it depends on which character you’re using!

I wouldn’t mind joining up with you for an online match sometime today. I’m sure I’m way behind you in stats but I’ll do some more playing when I get home and try to level up a little. Is there a time that works good for you? I could just DM you here? Unless you’re talking about stages that I haven’t got to yet… I haven’t tried the online play to know anything about it. I’ll give it a whirl here in about an hour and a half. Just DM me if you’re interested. Maybe we could get @gaberaph and/or @Repulsa in on it too. :)

L.Lawliet likes this.
  18. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Sounds like fun! I'll message you / post in this thread if I'm online. I'm watching the Pro Bowl but I might get bored while watching it heh.

Also you level up on raids super fast. They give out plenty of xp. A full team can wipe a boss in like half a minute. We can make lobbies but I'm not sure if it kicks you out of a private lobby since it kicks you after a game in a public lobby. You might even eventually find it easier to just play with randoms since it's fairly quick. (But nothing beats playing with friends)

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm online for a bit right now!

20. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    What is your user? And what raid level are you grinding? I’ve been grinding Spirt Island trying to get the pet, the raid boss level after that is really really hard even in a party of 4 levels 30-50 it’s really hard to beat