iPad Dragon's Lair 30th Anniversary - (by Dragon's Lair LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Well I bought it, but this really was a nasty/greedy move on the developers part for sure. It is identical to the prior ios release, only it looks much better. Again, they should've just updated the existing file. They'll do the same thing with Dragons Lair II...

After emailing Digital Liesures and calling them out on their abandoning my beloved Space Ace, they said they're going to so the same thing as seen here.

I believe the iPhone only version was intentional and wouldn't expect a universal update. Not when they can sell you another iPad only version. /facepalm

2. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    But both iPhone versions of DL and DLII were EA releases, right? I don't think they could have update the old version in that case. Im thinking of when the game Gesundheit left Konami and had new versions released, and more recently R-Type... Also, it's not identical if it "looks much better" :D

Still it would have been nice if they had a launch sale or something for the owners of the old version. The iPad versions (and the iPhone version of Space Ace) were already released by Dragon's Lair LLC, not EA, so I'm thinking those wont be re-released and just see updates. I am hoping to finally see an iPad version of DLII!

How much better *does* it look from the old version? And is the widescreen just cropped from the full screen version?

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask but I've just played this along with the HD iPad one and they are the same - except this one has game centre leaderboards (for arcade 3 lives) and achievements (like complete the game with the move guide turned off and die via asphyxiation the bedroom scene). I'm playing on an iPod 5th gen and it's full widescreen. Personally, I think it's three English pounds very well spent as I used to travel 30 miles each weekend for me and my pals to play this and now I've got a widescreen one that I can carry around with me. If you've never played Dragon's Lair then you'll probably hate it and if you're happy with what you've got on iPhone or iPad then it's probably best to stay away. I don't mind paying £3 for a little piece of personal and video game history on my chosen device.

4. Protoman

Protoman Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    So why do other apps update for free?

5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    My guess is because they can afford to? Or alot of times, an update fixes something that should have not been wrong to begin with?

But it's totally the perogative of the developer to release a new app if they think that their efforts have warranted it. Then it is up to you as the consumer to buy it or not.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I wish the Control System wouldn`t be as bugged as it currently is. As soon as I reached the Room with the Princess the Game became unplayable since it simple didn`t react over time to any of my Tabs.

Therefor I can honstly only warn everyone to stay away from the Game till someone at Digital Leisure Inc. gets their shit done since screwing up a Game that does strangly work if it comes to the HD Build seem to be for me...

[​IMG]

7. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I suggest a hard reset on your device as the game controls flawlessly for me and I've had no such problems. 1 star rating? C'mon now...

8. iamheffe

iamheffe Active Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I totally remember playing this in the arcades. Once at a Chucky Cheese after spending (gasp) 75c and barely getting anywhere an older kid walks up, sticks in a quarter and finishes the game. I watched in total disbelief and awe. It was the greatest thing I had ever seen at the time.

That was the arcade culture; how far you could go on one quarter.

9. magicmikezero

magicmikezero Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Does this happen to have icade support? #

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its frustrating but i can see why devs might 're-release' an app. Often an app is just 'dead' regarding sales and then everyone wants a 64 bit update, i can see why devs wont do it as it doesnt make financial sense. Its great when some indie devs do, perhaps they want to keep their market happy but for some bigger companys it just doesnt make sense sadly.

Thats why i'm totally happy if an app came back as a 64 bit app and i had to buy it again. Would rather do that then miss out on metal slug/cave games which wont get updated sadly.

I wonder if in 6 years time we'll go through the same talk but with 128 bit apps ;)

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dude, you're replying to a 4 year old post. XD

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Arrrgh i never normally do that. Is it a sort of 'bug' on the forum then as it appeared on the first page of threads high up (so i thought someone had replied).