Universal Dragon Quest VIII (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2013.

1. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Omgomgomgomgomgomg!!! I might pass out!

2. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Square enix must have been listening to the podcast when Eli was talking about the dragon quest games on the watch list.

3. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    Wait is this real? Its not april 1st or something. I hope it doesnt have online only or something crazy like that.

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Glad this is finally coming to the US.:D

5. Davidprimer

Davidprimer Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Do you need to play this game holding your iPhone vertically? Why would they do that?

6. benadvanced

benadvanced Active Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I agree that feels a bit odd. Also does anyone know if this is universal with cloud saving? If it has that it is a instabuy for me. Queue the cat.

7. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I won't be buying this , how do they expect to play normally while holding a freaking iPad vertically for longer time ???!

8. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    all those screenshots are iphone screenshots. Is this proper univerasal or will it just be crummily upscalled on my iPad Air? I'm a huge dragon quest can but I'm not playing this thing on a crummy iphone screen

9. Cause007

Cause007 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dude, the game was on 3DS. It's probably transferred using its (near) original aspect ratio.

10. Flynn Taggart

Dec 9, 2010
    VIII was never released on 3ds you are thinking of VII.

11. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

This port is from PS2 version.

12. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Those screens and the handful of Youtube vids I've watched of this port make me hesitant to pick this up. I've never played DQ VIII but a butchered port doesn't seem like a great way to experience it for the first time. I'll wait for impressions to see if it's better than I expect (I hope it is).

13. Flynn Taggart

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm honestly probably going to buy the damn thing anyway. They haven't released a DQ game over here in YEARS and they're probably going to use poor sales of an unhyped roughshod port as an excuse to further this trend.

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Designed for the Japanese audience, who greatly prefer portrait mode with one-handed play. Most likely due to it being the easiest way to play when you're standing on a train.

15. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    125 hours on the PS2 version... oh yes, this will be mine tonight :D

16. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    will 1.8gb be enough to install it?

17. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Out on the PH store! $20 is a steal for a game like this. But am still on the fence since i got a TON of "backlogs" in iOS games. Heck, i even haven't finished Dead Space yet and that was bought a couple of years back. Also, i'm still into Monster Hunter, and i just got Battleheart: Legacy. But still...really really tempted to pick this one up

18. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    #98 Styrixa, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Should be. The PS2 version I think only had 1 disc, so that version was less than 800 mb. Hopefully this version has bonus content, but I can't imagine it being a gigs worth.

And I'll add my excitement too. I love the series, and VIII was by far the best, especially the character development and voice acting. I especially love Angus and "Charm-less".

I don't know about $20. I'll probably wait for a sale to bring it closer to $10. It's $12 used on Amazon for the PS2.

19. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    now i can understand why most of top japanese games dosen't leave their store, becouse ppl outside japan don't know to appreciate their quality games made for gamers
    i don't know no gamer that plays games before symbian/android/ios era and has ever complain about the price tag of any game he enjoyed, or complain about the game playin position
    when we have iaps we complain about iaps in premium games, when the game has no iaps ppl ask the devs to add iaps for diffrent reasons; game is to hard, can't unlock that, can't find that... please add some iaps to buy stuff without even playin ...
    even my japanese akita-inu dog start barking when she saw the DQVIII thread ...

20. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Just to confirm...yes, this is vertical only. The one-hand play feature is nice on iPhone but completely doesn't work on iPad. I'm sure two different orientations wouldn't be that hard to program in - especially with a $20-$25 game (perspective here - PS2 classics are $10-$15 on Playstation Store), but you won't get it.

I'm amazingly hyped for this as it's one of my absolute favourites, but I've played around with the Japanese version and the port really leaves a lot to be desired.

Buy with caution.