Universal DRAGON QUEST VI (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 24, 2015.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Lets sue DQ on behalf of Dragon Ball.. we're gonna be so rich guys!!

:)

2. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Been playing the Japanese version to death and it's great so I'm glad it came to NA for those who can't speak/read Japanese. Definitely a must buy RPG.

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    All joking aside, I should have the review ready to go for Friday, friends. Just have to get a ways into the English one to make sure everything's working and that they didn't mess with 8-4's localization from the DS version. I just finished off the JP version three days ago, so... good timing I guess!

4. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Shaun do I need to play the 5th first before playing this?
    Haven’t got the time to playDQ5 #

5. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Nah, the connections are super-loose. 4/5/6 can be played in whatever order. It's not a big deal like 1/2/3.

6. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Don't think your kidding anyone buddy!

Unless in your field of work it is commonplace to take 5hours sending a text lol!

7. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Is dragon quest 6 the best of the old series? How does this game compare to ff7 and 6

8. ffxiii09

ffxiii09 New Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Wonder how much longer we will have to wait for Dragon Quest VII. Hope it's not another 6 month wait. Though we will be getting another VII from a certain popular jrpg series this summer that will keep me plenty occupied. And would be cool to eventually get Dragon Quest IX. Just saying.

9. ffxiii09

ffxiii09 New Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Dragon Quest VI is my personal favorite entry in the series however that's a statement coming from a certain acquired taste. The general consensus among fans is that III, V, and VIII are the cream of the crop. It's really a matter of personal taste though. Dragon Quest is not as much of a polarizing series as Final Fantasy has come to be. Each entry of the Final Fantasy series garners much stronger love or hate it mentality from fans. At the same time there is a more clear distinction when it comes to FFVI and FFVII being seen as the best of the series. Where as the best of Dragon Quest can be a bit more ambiguous. FFVI and FFVII left major marks on the industry and are often heralded as being among the greatest games of all time. Dragon Quest VI simply is not seen in any sort of resembling light. It is however an awesome entry in the Dragon Quest series and should not be overlooked. It's a hidden gem with it's own charming appeal. That's what makes it so special to me. Definitely check it out.

10. jcervasio

jcervasio Member

May 9, 2012
    Guys, just insta-bought (as if I could resist). Are we able to quicksave in dungeons? There's just so long I can hide in the bathroom (from my wife or boss).....

11. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    #31 heringer, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    You should play V because it's the best one man! :)

That's true. Dragon Quest games aren't radically different from each other. They follow the same basic template, while Final Fantasy usually try for something completely new with every iteration.

V and VIII are my favorites. V for it's story and VIII for the beautiful 3D world. I've come to really love IX too, and replay wise it's the best one.

I never finished VI though, so I might have to fix that!

I'm really curious about VII though. Are they going to port the 3DS version? That seems unlikely to me, but I'm not sure they would release the PS1 version with the old translation either. I guess time will tell.

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I absolutely love the 3DS graphics. Just looked it up and I'd definitely like to play that version. Hopefully, they'll port that one.

13. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Thanks man great post

14. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thanks for posting the vid! I love watching and listening to these when I edit. Just got this one from the wife earlier today and played it on lunch. Another amazing DQ game for my RPG folder. Can't seem to find a PDF of the DS strategy guide online, and I love using the strategy guides when I come back to these after not playing for a while. So, I ordered it off of ebay. Just wish these soundtracks were on iTunes so I could buy those as well instead of getting them out of the app or off of Dragon's Den.

15. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    I have mixed feelings about this. I've loved the DQ games from the PSX days but I have sadly to say I dislike the ios ports as they are unplayable for me. Playing in portrait mode only is such a hard time on a full sized ipad, I'm sure it would be fine on an iPhone. But I don't use a phone as I simply refuse to have one.

I feel it's a shame they didn't give us the option to change to landscape, I did buy DQ VIII on ios but it was such a pain to play I soon quit playing, if all the DQ ports had a landscape option, I would have bought every game. I guess I cannot be the only person like this? They are losing sales.

A wonderful rpg series. It's a shame not to be able to play them.

16. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah I know, it's just funny. I've been a huge fan of DQ since forever. Not being mean, just poking jokes :p

17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hey guys, I know I promised the review would be up Friday, but I might have to punt it to Monday instead. It was my son's 16th birthday yesterday so I ended up getting little work done, haha. Anyway, hope everyone's enjoying the game. I'll try to make the review extra beefy to make up for the delay. :)

18. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    No worry Shaun
    We’ll not going anywhere
    Congratulation for the birthday #

19. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Wow, that's awesome! I'd much rather read a post like this than a review today. Hope you guys had fun, and he had a great birthday. I remember my parents gave me a key to the family van, money, and a Hot Wheels car when I turned 16.