Universal Dragon Quest V (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gamingvideo, Dec 12, 2014.

1. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Excellent choice , FFV is the best one, and not even mention DQV

2. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    #62 PoloBaquerizoH, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Excellent choice! Ask Shaun, and DQV

3. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Call me crazy but I have never heard of this nor have I ever played it but it looks very intriguing. If I were to get a Dragon Quest game then which would it be? I would like the one with lots of exploration and free roaming. I'm really thinking to buy this one after having watched the gameplay. Thanks guys.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This one. ;) Shaun even mentions in the TA review that if you should only play one Dragon Quest game, this should be it. I'd highly, highly recommend checking out VIII too if you don't mind the file size.

5. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    ^Does DQ8 run well on Air 2/6 Plus?

Totally getting this either way though! :)

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, I'm on an iPhone 6 and it's certainly not running at 60 frames per second, but it's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from unplayable. :p

7. EvilDucktator

Sep 28, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks. And this runs better anyway I guess?

Not sure which order to play this series in, any suggestions?

8. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Limiting ourselves to what's on iOS at the moment:

I don't recommend starting with DQ1 or DQ2. They really show their age in a lot of ways and I feel they are best appreciated when you've already built up some goodwill for the series.

DQ3 holds up really well for its age, but I think its story beats work best if you've played DQ1 and DQ2. It stands on its own just fine, but it's even better if you've had the payoff set up, so I guess I'd push this one back if you're looking to get the full effect.

DQ4 and DQ5, along with DQ6, have extremely loose connections to the point that it really doesn't matter which order you play them in. DQ5 has a much better story, but DQ4 is pretty unique in how it tells its story.

DQ8 is the looker of the series, and it probably has the best exploration of the lot thanks to its huge overworld. The fly in the ointment is that the mobile version has some framerate issues. To be honest, even in its console form, this is one of my least favorite DQ games, but it's still a lot of fun, and that world really is something to behold.

The DQ games all soooort of follow a similar flow of gameplay. There are a lot of invisible rails that shunt you along the path you need to go for the first half of the game. Then at some point, you get a ship or some other means of travel, and the games become very open-ended, having you hunt for X number of mystic doodads that you can find in any order you please. Eventually, it all funnels back into the endgame.

Since the stories are standalone for the most part and the gameplay actually has very little in the way of fundamental changes through the series, you can pretty much start anywhere from DQ3 on. Normally, I'd recommend DQ4 first, but you like exploring and that one is *really* linear in the early chapters, so... let's say DQ5.

9. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    #69 Shifaan, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Ahh alright thanks a lot mate. How well do you reckon this will run on my iPod touch 5g?? Does it eat a lot of battery?

10. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I'd second this and while I loved playing DQ8 on a console I'm just not getting into it on the iPad. Not quite sure why maybe because it feels a lot more protracted than the others and not quite suited to mobile play.

I'm about a quarter of the way through it at the mo and seriously thinking of putting it down and buying this.....

11. EvilDucktator

Sep 28, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Feedback from the Dragon Quest guru himself. Thanks Shaun :) Alright! :) I'll go V for now then 4 > 8 > 1 > 2 > 3 perhaps. Do wonder what will happen with other ones.

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I originally played the first on my NES, but on iOS I started with 8. The below 30fps didn't bother me at all and it has the absolute best exploration of them all with the ability to eventually zoom to any location you've previously visited. Love that feature! But 4 and 5 have great story telling. I'm personally really excited to dive into 5, but I'm thoroughly enjoying 4 and 8 still. 8 will play fine on the iPhone, but all of them are a bit odd on iPad in my opinion. Portrait is definitely better on the iPhone.

13. EvilDucktator

Sep 28, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks to you too, also useful! :)

14. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    Amen

15. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    I would just add regarding DQ8 that the frame rate problems made me physically nauseous. Sounds like a joke but it genuinely wasn't and actually made me request a refund on the game. A great pity it's such a shoddy port as I'd waited months to play it. Oh well, I'll stick to the 2D games.

16. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    As I'm playing DQ5 for the first time i CANNOT stop thinking about the show "The Hero Yoshihiko". If you never heard of it, it's a pretty funny japanese parody of DQ, or just jrpgs in general.

17. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I swear the game loading screen music and it's always sunny in Philadelphia music are the same.

On another note I find the movement controls pretty wonky. Sometimes when entering another area I go right back to the previous area. I'm at the Cassino now and the story looks like it's picking up. It sure starts kind of slow, at least to me.

18. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    1 question to you fans.. How long does it take to complete the game.. I mean the normal route without going thru all the side quests if there is

19. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'd say 30 hours, give or take, is a reasonable estimate.

20. Borum

Borum New Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Game freeze

Anyone also has the game freeze at beginning of Parting Ways after talking to Harry, fellow slave? Screen turns red tinged.