Universal Dragon Quest IV (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Thanks for the response Shaun, it was interesting to hear the differences between DQ and FF from your point of view. Your review for this game was perfect, and I am REALLY enjoying this game at the moment.

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    That does it then. As long as they can hold off on another DQ for a few months, FF5 will be my next purchase. Thanks! Also, these DQ reviews are so elegantly written, I seem to keep revisiting them in between plays. Thanks for sharing the love.

With Autumn coming up and my continued play through of Chrono Trigger, I'd love to read a review from you on that one! Did you ever write one?

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I've written a lot about Chrono Trigger over the years, but nothing I can really point you to. I'd love to do something about that sometime. And thank you always for the kind words.

4. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Love me some Dragon Quest. I really would like to see the Loto Trilogy (first 3 games) get some love and a shiny release on iOS. I've played through Dragon Warrior so many times it was my first RPG. But while I have the Dargon Quest 1/2 Gameboy Color game(which definitely made them more playable) we never got any of the Super Famicom remakes. I think those are long over due.

But I'm really just glad that we got 5 and 6 at all. Now please give us staties some DQ X.

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    #165 smegly, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me sort this out.

I'm in "Chapter 6" and I'm stuck on the Pioneer Town aspect. I've consulted some guides, but it seems like, while I have the right people in the town to make it grow, they aren't doing so (the buildings that they are supposed to make aren't there) and the other NPCs that I'm supposed to get aren't there to find yet.

So far I have:

-Hoffman and the nun at his house outside of town.
    -The Frog, of course.
    -Rocky and Adrian, who have a house.
    -Rocky's friend, who has an item shop.
    -A house nobody seems to live in, day or night.
    -The treasure-hunting couple from the sidequest cave; they just stand outside.
    -Prelvis and his buddy, who I think has some interest in the church now.
    -The dwarven priest who has a little altar set up outside. I should note that there was no hint regarding him; I just happened to find him.
    -The woman who is now running an Inn. EDIT: and her dog.

One problem is that supposedly these people should have triggered more development to the town than they have, so I can't help but feel I'm missing someone farther back in the process, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The other problem is that the only hint pointing towards the next NPC is that it's a weaver, which I haven't been able to find anywhere. The guides say to get a slime in Strathbaile, but it's not there yet.

6. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I'm partway through Chapter 2 - I'm extremely surprised by how modern the game feels. I'm not sure how much of that is from improvements introduced by the remake, but if I didn't already know that it was an NES game I could swear this was released on SNES around the time of something like FF5.

7. ElPumo

ElPumo Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Author
    Harrisburg, PA
    Shaun, thanks for the post comparing FF and DQ. Didn't know much about DQ series other than ages ago I played one (don't recall which) and didn't like it as much as the FF games at the time.

I'm quite enjoying playing DQ IV on iOS. Only complaint would be finding doors in the villages!

8. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The guide you're using is probably for the DS version. Among the 400 words I ended up cutting from the review to get it down to a manageable size was noting that, for whatever reason, the pioneer town quest has been changed to require you to find a lot more people to progress. I don't feel it's a positive change, but that's probably what you're running into here.

9. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Must admit I'm not loving the portrait and control setup. It just feels a bit weird, maybe down to the fact that I'm not used to playing an RPG in this kind of format.

I don't think there's anything specifically wrong with it and I know there'll be plenty of people that like it but I'm not keen.

It's still an ace game tho and worth every penny.

10. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I've heard that the PS1 version had a considerably beefier pioneer town system. I'm not sure whether that was ported into this version or not. I'd figured something would be different from the DS version since there's no "tagging" aspect, but I didn't understand that part to be critical in the first place. I'd kind of be surprised if this port got all that much attention to redoing that part of the game though; it's rather impressive if it has.

I'll see how it goes. I don't mind the idea of just exploring and building the town by trial and error since DQ4 has such a fun world to explore, although if there's just one little key change that was made from DS version, I'd feel a little silly being set back so much time cycling through all the towns-forgetting the ones I can't zoom to frequently--in the game until I happen to run across the next NPC in the sequence . . . if there is a sequence.

11. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The PSX version of the town is quite different, yes. I think it's the best version of that particular element.

12. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    I already played Dragon Quest VIII, and never play this one before, is it worth to play this for 15 bucks again even tho I already played DQ8?

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Depends on how much you enjoy these kind of games. For me, I never want them to end. So I enjoy grinding through battles and exploring way more than I need to just to make them last longer. I'm only 33 hours into DQ8, but I got this one anyway (as a gift from my wife). So now I'm playing both.

So, if you enjoy the beautiful RPG grind, and love meeting and experiencing new characters, then you'll probably enjoying doing it again in this one. I love DQ8 a little more, but I've put almost 30 more hours into it. I'm sure DQ4 will pull me away from 8 more and more.

14. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I honestly don't think whether or not you've played DQ8 should have much bearing on whether or not this game is worth it; they are different games.

15. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I was enjoying this..

Until a friend saw me playing and said 'oh Hells bells, how can you play something so bloody ugly looking'.

You don't want to know what he said when I told him how much it cost.

And since then I've not played it.. I think he put me off :(

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yikes! Don't tell him I happily paid $40 for the DS version and $100 for the PSX version, which both looked just like this except lower res.

Play what makes you happy, Mene, whatever your criteria may be for that. Too many choices and too little time to bother forcing something that isn't doing it for you.

17. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    If your friend saw you driving a 67 dodge charger, would they call it junk or a classic?

I believe that's the mindset we need with these jewels :)

18. tommiyu

tommiyu Member

Aug 3, 2014
    I remember the old classics especially ff 1 2 3 and DQ games had the fact that u could accidentally walk to a place with monster many levels above you and you realize that only after the first hit on them... But it's too late...man that's exploration haha

19. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #179 Aventador, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    I would get Dragon Quest IV and Dragon Quest VIII if both had landscape mode, otherwise a no-no deal, I can't enjoy RPG on iPAD in portrait mode.
    On other hand, FF IV,V and VI were instant purchases as they have landscape mode :)
    I have no problems to pay any price if port uses iPad screen to full extend.

20. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Something that Eli said in a recent post really resonated with me and I wanted to follow up on this.

I have always loved RPGs and the phone has been a boon to have something portable but I can never escape the feeling that just because these games can be ported that they're a particularly good fit for mobile gaming.

I've never played a DQ but the FFs are time sinks and seem to be best enjoyed with long stretches of gameplay to enjoy the story.

Life just doesn't allow that now with a job and family and I suppose I would enjoy a game with all the RPG elements but not the length. When a game boasts of 40-80 hours that's just a deterrent to me as I know I'll never see the end of it.

Eli mentioned that DQ4 was able to be enjoyed in shorter bursts. Is this everyone's experience of the game? Is there another good RPG series on IOS that would fit with shorter sessions?