Universal Dragon Quest IV (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ElPumo

ElPumo Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Author
    Harrisburg, PA
    Since this one has sound I'm picking up my first iOS DQ. Looks like Fnial Fantasy Dimensions, IV, V, VI go to back burner for now...

2. DarkestFlash

DarkestFlash New Member

May 29, 2014
    Thank you very much

3. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

Shaun, how would you compare this to how I feel about pitbulls? :p

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    they both involve a lot of pain if you handle them incorrectly

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    One big difference between this and FF, at least from IV and on, is there is a lot less direction and event scripting. You often get somewhat less than obvious event flags from talking to seemingly random NPCs or there's no event flag at all, just the expectation for you to figure out what to do. In Torneko's chapter in particular, I think I probably got through it more by just seeing what was available to do than having a clear idea of what steps to go through to advance the plot. For example, I got the goddess statue before I ever actually talked to the guy who wanted it. Most RPGs aren't like that anymore, so it's refreshing to me.

6. mnq4ever

mnq4ever Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Yes the nes one, also a reason why i didnt get the ds one, but yes i would like that extra hours of gameplay

7. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Just started playing this.. Is there a quest list? Like telling u what to do next? I feel kinda lost even playing as Ragnar..

Do u need to feel like this throughout the game?

8. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Sorry for the big question, but thank you for the response!

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    There isn't a quest list. I kinda mentioned this a couple posts up. I like it personally, but no, there isn't the kind of hand-holding many would expect.

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I've found some good walkthroughs for other games on GameFaqs, so it might be worth referencing them every now and again to help move the story along. I actually copy and pasted one faq/walkthrough into my Pages app, so if I ever get stuck it's only a click away!

The faqs/walkthroughs for DQIV are here:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/942422-dragon-quest-iv-chapters-of-the-chosen/faqs

11. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Explore and find things. That's the beauty of classic rpgs.

No dumbed down quest pointers and hand-holding.

12. AjaxJump

AjaxJump Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Played this on the DS years ago. One of the best portable RPGs I've ever played.

13. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Stupid question but how do I load a quick save? Haven't saved in a church for an hour, been quick saving, died and went to title screen but continue adventure and continue suspended adventure are both an hour behind.

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It should just be "Continue Suspended Adventure". I just tested it and it worked for me.

15. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Ok been doing some explorations.... The random battles really pissed me off lol.. No diff from ff series though.. I just wish they implemented auto battle... Too early to give review.. But 5 stars is a bit too much IMHO..

16. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Kids nowadays... if you have AUTO battle.. why not just let the computer play the whole game for you?

No respect. (channeling the Dangerfield) No respect!

17. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013

Thanks, you're right. For some reason the level and time played into isn't changing on there and showing only 17 health on character sheet when loaded. Thankfully, it lies.

18. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Lol u can don't use it...

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#139 Anotherkellydown, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    So the consensus is to play this on an iPhone rather than an iPad? I have an iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Edit: Just read Jared's GOTW article. Sounds like iPhone is the way to go for this one. Plus, being able to play on the go is great. Sometimes I wish my iPad wasn't wifi only :(

20. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    It's been such a long time since I last played this but I've just picked it up and before I start playing it again can anyone remind me whether the level you get in each chapter with each hero carries over to when you all meet up again?

I've been racking my brains and I just can't remember how it worked on the DS

Ta