Universal Dragon Quest I (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    You're reading about the Game Boy Color remake amigo.

2. jesse_dylan

Jun 4, 2014
    How come it's not out? It's 11 eastern time...

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It is out, click the link in the first post. Sometimes search doesn't work well at first.

4. Superatomic

Superatomic Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  5. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Fired up my mp3 rips of the original NES cartridge in preparation. Downloaded but won't be able to play till tomorrow.

6. jesse_dylan

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you! How annoying!

7. scifistephen

scifistephen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 4, 2013
    First rpg I ever played,hooked me on RPGs,an instant buy for me at a bargain price of 2.99

8. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Love how the hero starts off with no weapon or armor, and yet he looks like he's wearing some awesome armor and carrying a sword and shield. Beware slimes!

9. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I would recommend Dragon Fantasy game over this to anyone , but then again it is does cost 8 $

10. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    God this brings back memories. I remember mowing lawns for two months straight so I could save up for a nes and the game I came home with was dragon warrior 1 :)

I do wish they would grab who ever is in charge of gamecenter support from the final fantasy port team and have them explain things to this dragon quest port team :)

11. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Just saw that in towns some items are missing from the weapon/armor dealers. That's kind of a bummer. I used to love grinding to get the best gear. Now it won't cost me as much I guess.

12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Haha yeah, that was changed a couple versions ago to keep people from taking too much advantage of the new gold drops.

13. Atomweaver

Atomweaver New Member

Sep 11, 2014
  14. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
  15. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I love how user-friendly this is on the touch screen (better than some of the other old rpg ports). Are games 4 and 8 in this series also as user-friendly?

I don't remember the story, but I remember the town-types and the slimes.

16. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    If memory serves me correctly, there is a town in ruins south west corner, behind a shop in this town on the ground is edrick's armor, best in the game. There is a iron knight blocking the path who casts snooze on you alot and does 40 odd damage per hit to you.

Back in the old nes days I remember taking low level characters, running from everything all the way down there, successfully running from this guy and looting the armor, at epic low levels heh.

Anyone know if this trick still works?

17. TeeDubya1975

TeeDubya1975 Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Dragon Warrior was one of, if not my favorite NES games growing up, I remember finishing it, before I finished Zelda and it was probably my first real sense of accomplishment in a game. Will always be my favorite NES game. PS I'm 39 lol

18. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I think so, especially 4.. I have no issue at all with portrait mode or the controls.. The framerate on 8 is a bit slow but it's still great.. I've never played DQ before they were ported to iOS.. Now I'm in love with the series and will difinitely buy them all..

19. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Don't know what the hell happened but I was messing around going for Erdrick Armor at level 10. Had no mp but full health I ran from every baddie until the knight. I hit him for 9, he knocked me down to 10hp, I said #### it hit him again and bam he was dead maybe I hit him with a crit but I didn't think so either way grabbed the armor and winged the hell out.

20. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I second this. The controls work great on these ports. DQ8 has had some complaints about the under-30fps, but to have it be such a small file (relatively speaking) and have no other problems on my 5s, I haven't been bothered by the frame rate at all. Also, DQ4 and DQ8 have camera controls, which DQ1 does not. And I've read most people either don't mind them or don't like them. For me, the camera controls work perfectly.