Universal Dragon Quest I (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    About 8-10 hours is reasonable for a first time player. Doesn't take me much more than 4 or 5 hours on the remake versions, but I know it by heart.

2. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    DQ 1 and DQ 4 are both the first in their respective trilogies, so it makes sense to release those before 2 & 5.

3. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Yeah but the zenithian games are so loosely tied. Not that the Loto games are much more but they are a bit.

Length is about 8-12 in my opinion like I said previously it's gonna depend on how much you pay attention or if you just use a walk through. Some of the destinations to find things are pretty obscure. But nothing compared to 2 lol.

4. Hero Killer Id

Sep 18, 2010
    Yeah but the zenithian games are so loosely tied. Not that the Loto games are much more but they are a bit.

Length is about 8-12 in my opinion like I said previously it's gonna depend on how much you pay attention or if you just use a walk through. Some of the destinations to find things are pretty obscure. But nothing compared to 2 lol.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I agree. I'd love to see the old graphics next to the new. Dragon Fantasy have that as an option in their game. And it's a lot like Dragon Quest.

6. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Thank you sir :)

7. Hero Killer Id

Sep 18, 2010
    Out of curiosity did anyone else play Guardian Saga a few years back? That was definitely a homage to the original Dragon Quest. I quite enjoyed it even if it was just as simplistic as the game it was inspired by.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/08/05/guardian-saga-review/

8. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    This game will definately be on my phone and possibly my iPad (I just got Baldurs Gate on it, so I may switch up)

9. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I got this when I was 6 with my subscription to Nintendo Power. I played the crap out of this game, zelda, and metroid. I cannot wait for 10:00 tonight.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Guardian Saga was a great homage, I really enjoyed that one. Especially the super difficult challenge dungeon. Really glad to see the original actually on iOS.

11. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nintendo Power was awesome.

It's too bad physical media is in decline. Dragon Warrior had a really great physical presentation, it makes me wish there was at least a scanned instructional manual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I played that I really loved. Dragon Warrior II though was even more amazing. I had both on cart. I bought them from rental stores after they were liquidating their NES games as other systems came out. I played this again a few years ago, and though I still love it there's no doubt it doesn't hold up quite as well as the other games in the series. YES, I think it's a lot better than Final Fantasy (original, NES version), but when you start to add up the locations in the game it's easy to see how overall small the game world is. It's still a solid game to play... and if they knocked down the grinding then it should go by a lot quicker than modern RPG's. But, don't go into this thinking it's going to be epic like DQ:IV. Now that is an awesome game with a whole lot more detail (even though it was the last of the NES DQ games).

13. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I didn't know they were trilogies! I don't think I even remember the first 3. Hell, I barely remember running a shop in one, that's the only memory that stood my test of time lol

14. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #54 curtisrshideler, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Haven't found a scan of the instruction manual, but this Nintendo Power strategy guide is pretty awesome!

http://50.7.161.234/998ajxYxajs13jAKhdca/Guides/Dragon%20Warrior%20Strategy%20Guide.cbr

And this map.

http://50.7.161.234/998ajxYxajs13jAKhdca/Guides/Dragon%20Warrior%20Map.rar

And this Explorer's Handbook... which might have been the manual. It's been 23 years since I had it on NES, so I can't remember.

http://50.7.161.234/998ajxYxajs13jAKhdca/Guides/Dragon%20Warrior%20Explorers%20Handbook%20(1989).cbz

15. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Hey guys, should I get this game?

16. RedBlueFire

RedBlueFire Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Best ipad gaming news for the year. I have amazing memories playing this on the NES Nintendo over 20 years ago. Can't wait to play it!!!

It's a very chill relaxed rpg, for those new to the whole dragon quest thing, don't expect this game to be very deep lol, but it's sooo much fun.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  18. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    This will be a no-brainer purchase, this was one of the first, if not the first electronic RPGs I ever played other than Ultima IV in the computer lab. Can hardly remember anything at this point beyond that I played it all the way through twice in a matter of a few days.

19. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #59 curtisrshideler, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Of course. It got me reminiscing and totally excited for tonight. I should have posted the pdf's I made, but I just opened all those jpgs in Preview on my Mac and hit print, pdf, save as pdf, and I'm now reading them both in the Kindle app.

"The success of the hero is limited by one factor alone, and that factor is you. For you are the Dragon Warrior!"

20. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Great game,I think this was my very first RPG on NES before FF