Universal Dragon Quest I (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    This looks right up my street but after buying IV and VIII I promised myself not to buy another unless landscape mode was an option.

So as much as it pains me, I'll skip.

2. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    thanks.

3. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I guess it's a dumb question, but here it comes: I have played some RPGs and some JRPGs, but never a Dragon Quest. Should I begin with the first one? Or should I begin with DQIV or DQVIII and play the first later?

By the way, are each Dragon Quest non related stories like Final Fantasy series?

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Glad the price is 28 years old too!! Was expecting another $18.99 game so I'm stoked.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The stories in available DQ games are isolated so you can pick up Dragon Quest anywhere. In terms of plot and game design I think you're better off starting with Dragon Quest IV on iOS (unless you want to be frugal and give 1 a try first). Dragon Quest VII is really good, but the iOS port is not ideal. Dragon Quest I is an epic game that I'm excited about revisiting but it has less personality.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'd also say to start with 4. DQ1 is something best appreciated when you're very young or already in love with the series.

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    This is a nice surprise, can't wait to pick this up tonight.:D

8. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    It was in the neighborhood of $54.99 when it came out for the NES, which is over $100 in today's money. $18.99 would be a deal, that's less than $9 in 1988 money. Inflation calculators are cool.

I'm enjoying picking at DQ8 in my free time, and I LOVE the portrait orientation. It's so much more comfortable playing with one hand. I'll probably work backwards if/when I ever finish this. DQ1 is going to feel laughably crude, like Final Fantasy 1 simplicity, but maybe I'll actually finish it.

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I can't believe it's $2.99. Do they think it's trash?

10. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It was free for the first while in Japan. It's just a really short and simple game. $3 is pretty much exactly right, even taking prestige into account. You could start it in the morning and be finished by tea time.

11. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Yay!

And I just finished Dragon Quest 4 yesterday, what perfect timing. I've played through the original around 4-5 times a few in NES and a few more on the GBC version. So excited to finally get to relive this with updated graphics.

Actually a little disappointed that they upped the exp and nerfed a bit of the grinding although if I remember correctly you had to grind more for gold than exp anyway.

As for the person who asked where they should start I would say 4 as well. 8 is an awesome game but it's longer than hell around 70-90 hours and it wasn't quite as comfortable as I hoped. Part 1 will take about 8-12 hours to complete depending on how much you pay attention to clues or if you just follow a FAQ. But it's a much more bare bones game limited story and very nonlinear. 4 took roughly 30 hours to compete has a much more fleshed out story and characters. So I would start there. If you enjoy that then I would go to 5 and 6 if they are translated soon. And if you really like the series go back for the original trilogy.

12. Crazyleo

Crazyleo Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Unemployed
    ON Canada
    IRC, the first three DQ titles were connected (2 being a sequel to 1 & 3 being a prequel to 1)

I too will be getting this as my love for JRPGs started with DW1. :D

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dragon Warrior is the game I never thought I'd be playing on a handheld device lounging around the house. Now... where was Eldrick's Armor hidden again?!?

I wish when classics were updated with more modern graphics that there was a toggle for "new" and "old" graphics.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Square Enix really has an odd marketing plan to release Dragon Quest 8 then Dragon Quest 4 and now Dragon Quest 1; it certainly keeps one guessing what will come next.

15. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    DQ2. That's the only one left of the ones already released in Japan. I bet DQ3 will be after that, then 5 and 6 while they figure what the heck to do with 7.

16. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Since they are still debating a DS/3DS Relase of 7 I wonder if we will get it at the same time. If it is released on IOS will the price point match the 35-40$ you would pay for a DS game.

Thankfully I have a PSX copy but would gladly buy both a DS and IOS version.

17. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, DQ7 is a monster. I think I sunk over 250hrs into that game on my PS1 and didn't complete the main quest. I'll have to look and see if I still have the save data on one of my old PS1 memory cards. Ahhh, those were the days.:)

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So far none of the Square Enix iOS releases have strictly price matched platforms they were ported from, although none were as new as the Dragon Quest VII remake. Fingers crossed we get VII remake on iOS eventually, despite being Japanese only and 3DS "exclusive" so far.

19. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Can someone guesstimate how many hours of gameplay DQ1 has? Love you guys....... A lot ..........