Universal Dragon Fantasy - (by The Muteki Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 24, 2011.

1. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    that would be nice, however it seems like devs bother only with jrpg or krpgs for iphone.

2. crashfaster

crashfaster New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Yup! A lot of the 8bit-ish iPhone games I've seen don't look too great on the retina, but Dragon Fantasy looks *fantastic*.

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Decided to pick it up. Couldn't be less sorry. :)

The random battles are still not my thing, but thankfully you can click through them very quickly here and thus far they have not gone beyond a minor annoyance at worst. The combat itself is fast, simple and enjoyable.

With that out of the way though, everything else I've so far experienced is damn near flawless. Graphics, controls, music, the overall design, everything is streamlined as closely as seems possible to that ideal where there is nothing that begs adding and nothing left to take away. This game is so clearly a labour of love, it's almost indecent.

Really glad I took the plunge (thanks psj.) Kudos and best of luck to the folks responsible for this; we needs more efforts as committed as this one on the app store.

4. Bryan @ Muteki Corp

Bryan @ Muteki Corp Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    President, The Muteki Corporation
    Really all I just want to say from the bottom of all of our hearts @mutekicorp, thank you all so much for the kind words so far.

We strived so hard to stop ourselves from going crazy with features and just deliver a simple, solid, enjoyable experience, and it's great to hear we have done just that!

And there's so much more to come with this game still...

5. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    So it's like Minmae only a bit more complicated?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Not only is the hero sporting the same hair (lol)/beard combo that I've had for the last 3 years, the game's also retina? Wai helo thar bought. :3

7. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Adam @ Muteki Corp Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Thanks for your kind words! The game really was a labour of love... when I was a kid I used to scrawl maps down in my sketch book and dream about the day I would make my RPG. Finally doing it is a very exciting, encouraging, and humbling experience :)

8. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    Since some people have asked about length, and I can tell you that the game currently takes about 6 to 10 hours to beat based on average playtime from our testers on their first play-throughs.

I want to let everyone know - this game is something I've been working on for a long time, and I've written way more story than what is in Dragon Fantasy right now. We will be doing content updates where more of the story unfolds.

The first content update will have Prince Anders as a playable character while he uncovers some of the mystery of the curse of Wester and the origin of the Dark Knight. There will be new dungeons and monsters, and Prince Anders is more of a black mage than a straight up fighter. Although... he has a heal spell too, so maybe he's a red mage. He does wear red, after all :)

9. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Glad I bought this one

It's a nearly perfect 80s/90s era RPG game. I really appreciate the controls - they are simple and intuitive. I see myself missing a lot of work time today due to this game.

10. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    Awesome :) I wanna see more bald heroes out there... Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop was awesome and bald, there needs to be more guys like him! With DF, I was getting tired of seeing the same generic 16 year old hero over and over again... wondered what happened to them when they got old and fat ;)

11. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I also like that you start out at level 11.

12. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    This game is awesome!

I played as a beta tester and really love the feel of the game. Great sense of humor, great art, and great variety of monsters/environments.

Going to pick up the full version and use it as my "waiting in line" game at PAX. :D

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Totally agree! As long as there's a complementary beard, bald is...just bad ass. XD It's always awesome when you get protagonists in games that don't conform to what we're used to nowadays.

14. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    Oh that reminds me! Anyone who's going to PAX, make sure to check out Crashfaster's show! He's the man behind the music in Dragon Fantasy, and I think he's gonna play some DF music remixes live! Tell him Adam sent ya! :p

I wish I had gotten tickets to PAX :(

15. Robin/P1XL

Robin/P1XL Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Congrats on the release guys, been looking forward to some competition from Dragon Fantasy and Guardian Saga, and I haven't been disappointed :)

16. Faucett

Faucett Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm a huge old-school RPG fan, so I was excited to see this. Its fantastic! Excellent graphics and music, and I really like the controls.

My only issue would be with the previously mentioned framerate when walking around - it bugs my eyes just a little bit. Not sure if this is something that could be addressed in an update.

Regardless - an excellent game, happy to have it!!

17. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Just grabbed this! My iPad computer is on the blink, though, so who knows when I'll actually be able to play it. :(

Dave

18. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    #58 Adam @ Muteki Corp, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks Robin! And hey, I didn't discover Minimae until about two months ago, but when I did I DEVOURED it! I loved how simple it was - you guys really distilled RPGs down to the core essence, but it was still incredibly addictive. I even added the ability to tap the battle window as a quicker way to attack after playing Minimae :)

I hear you are working on a sequel... if you ever need a beta tester... ;)

19. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

This game loads incredibly slowly for me. No text, battle commands or in-battle monster sprites appear at all.

20. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    What gen is your iDevice? Also, may want to do the turn off/on trick just to be sure. I've had no problems.

Adam - thanks again for this great game! Between this and Guardian Saga (and Mage Gauntlet hopefully soon) this is a very good time to be a retro iOS RPG gamer. By the way I've found a couple of typos - how do you want them reported? Through iTunes, this forum, or email? While I'm on the subject (and seeing one of them right now - this old lady in the inn in Lakehaven says "She told me when I was very young that it has been the most magnificent castle in the world." The "has been" should probably be "was".