Universal Dragon Fang Z (by Toydea)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Aug 3, 2020.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    If they are cheats, they really aren’t “necessary”. Game is challenging though.

2. nanl00127

nanl00127 Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Can't be 100% sure, but there's a pretty good chance the IAP fangs are the same as regular ones. Haven't gotten that far in the game yet, but I was able to get a Golem fang drop on an early floor for comparison against the IAP Chocolate Golem fang. They have exactly the same stats (just different appearance).

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, so they're alternative skin fangz, probably skippable as I don't recall them being a thing in the other ports, but MUST get the extra dungeons ASAP!

4. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    oh sorry, I wanted to notice about only for fangs.
    if you wanna try more dungeons out of core game, you need to pay some.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The same DLC costs $3 more on Steam and Switch. Again, even if you buy all the IAP, the game is cheaper on IOS and Android.

anthony78 and solarnya like this.
  6. nanl00127

nanl00127 Member

Dec 26, 2014
    The cost of the game on Steam is $25 +$8 for each of the 3 DLCs, so the cost is $49, almost as much as buying the iOS base game ($10) plus all three DLCs ($5 each) and every single DLC fang ($1 each, 25 total), which is $50.

Mind you, this applies mainly to the US. If you happen to live elsewhere in the world, the Steam regional pricing might be cheaper (it's cheaper in the HK Steam store than in the App Store, for example).

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Only 8 fangs listed in the App Store and only 2 DLCs, for a total of $23. Don’t know where the list is in the app itself.

8. nanl00127

nanl00127 Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Once you get past the Starter Dungeon and into the sort of "hub area", you get to choose from the two main story dungeons. Before you enter them, you have the option of bringing items into the dungeon, which brings up the list of all the DLC fangs.

The DLC dungeons aren't available until you beat the 10th floor on the harder of the two main story dungeons. At this point, you can head to the map to the right of the hub area to buy/access the DLC dungeons.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Actually there are 3 $5 DLCs. I'm not going to bother with the Fangz, as I'm pretty sure they're all findable in-game (even if not using the IAP skins), so I'm in just shy of $25, and as a fan of its PC and Switch ports, I know what to expect.

10. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    i hate when game add an auto button battle, just for that i won't buy this.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If anybody was put off by the initial release defaulting to Japanese, since the update the other day it will default to English in appropriate regions.

I'm not sure what you think this button does, it really just takes a move for the player, either a step down a hallway or maybe an attack to a random adjacent foe, but I'm not sure if it can use any of your skills or inventory items and I doubt it ever is making the most intelligent move on your behalf. It is certainly NOT resolving an entire multi-round combat with an opponent via a single button press.

Ijipop likes this.
  12. AltsKev

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    Ok thank, every run is different ? or its a story driven ?

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    They actually handle this pretty decently.

There are a few kind of forced bits of "story telling" when you first start the game, when you meet some NPCs wandering the dungeon and each boss the first time, but they're easily skipped through and will never repeat (once you chat with an NPC in the dungeon they're whisked up to your hub stage) and when you re-meet a boss in later runs, they don't bother with the dialog again.

As far as levels in the various dungeons themselves, they're all pretty randomized other than in a specific dungeon you'll tend to meet a specific sub-set of monsters on any given level and what items drop is probably tied to the dungeon (not necessarily any level gating, like certain items not showing up until you reach floor x, but more like some items can simply be never found in your current dungeon). The only exception being that Boss Levels will tend to have set layouts but still do a lot to randomize the placement of items and monsters other than maybe the boss on each playthrough.

While I think you're stuck with one very generic character without any inherent skills, the equipment you find and fangz you decide to equip will make multiple runs even in the same dungeon feel pretty unique. Also, besides the main story dungeon, there are some optional dungeons (even 3 more available via DLCs) that each offers their own unique twists on basic mechanics as well as have their own sets of monsters (while there will likely be some overlap between the various dungeons on the monsters you find, some might only show up in a specific dungeon).

I just had a blast with one of the DLC dungeons, "Cave of Fangz". The dungeon is based around 1 really basic tweak. In this dungeon the odds of general items being found in the dungeon are reduced but the odds of fangz dropping from besties slain are greatly increased. So why finding basic things like healing potions will be a struggle to come by, you'll have more fangz than you can handle!

AltsKev likes this.
  14. AltsKev

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    Thank a lot for your time and all this description. This help me a lot.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No problem, I have issues with heavy story stuff in my roguelikes. I like to think of them as a replayable board or card game. There is little more annoying in a game with perma-death to be expected to sit through the same little story elements EACH time you replay the game. I'm okay with a skippable opening cinematic to set the stage, and maybe something at the end the first time I clear a given dungeon, but otherwise, get out of my way. :p

Collin and AltsKev like this.
  16. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    This game is a gem

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I do love it and have nothing but praise for this latest mobile port which really takes advantage of its touch UI. The Switch port was also really well done but the PC port came off very half-assed (to me, the most obvious example of this is that although the game allows you to easily save and exit the game from your current run, there is NO WAY TO EXIT THE GAME from the hub or title screen short of the ol' F4).

I sure hope more DLC dungeons are in the works as they've just recently made these mobile and 3DS ports. The section where you buy the DLC certainly hints at more DLC to come with the empty cells in the hallway where you select your DLC dungeon, but I haven't seen anything new in this regard since the third DLC was added to the game back in April of last year to all of its available ports.

18. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Question: the boxes you pick up is there stuff you can take out of those And if so, how? are they supposed to be used for putting stuff in? I’m confused...

19. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Yeah I have been confused too.

As far as my knowledge go. The boxes « extend » the number of items you can carry. And most of em’ must be identified because they all have a 2nd purpose. For example one auto-identify any object you put into it. All of the boxes except one will give you back your items once thrown onto a wall. One will send items to the warehouse. I never found that warehouse but it must exist somewhere.
    Anyhoo check this page!
    https://dragonfang-z.fandom.com/wiki/Boxes

20. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Awesome thank you! And yeah I feel so dumb cause I can’t find the fabled warehouse anywhere either!

Ijipop likes this.