Dragon Age Origins, Oblivion, or Fable 2?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Osmiral, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    So I'm thinking about getting a new game to play on my Xbox 360 I was thinking of seeing if there was an awesome action-rpg with realtime combat almost fps like combat except with melee weapons, magic and all that other good stuff in fantasy rpgs, I was thinking between Dragon Age Origins, Oblivion, or Fable 2? Which is the longest (no expansions)? Which has the best Combat? and which was your favorite? Thanks.

2. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Dragon Age origins. Durr.

3. Osmiral

Nov 19, 2009
    I went with Fable 2, I was watching some combat vids, and Fables looked the best, Dragon age's looked like turn-based-ish with it's pause and play attack and you were kind of a person in the sky just directing the people you played, Oblivions looked ok, but not great, Fables looked like exactly what I was looking for, the perfect blend of melee, magic, and ranged weapons.

4. Rezur

Rezur Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Oh my god, I was just about to tell you to get anything but Fable 2.

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I've only played Oblivion - Dragon Age and Fable are too fantasy-based for me (please don't flame me).
    I don't like all the magic, dragons and nerdy shit. Oblivion is nice because it's nice and varied and more or less lets you go your own way. And it actually feels half realistic (which is what I like).
    It's up to you with which game you choose, but you can't go wrong with Oblivion.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I agree to an extent, but the one thing that killed Oblivion for me was the monster's rubberband leveling. One of the pleasures of playing an RPG is getting powerful enough to wipe the floor with monsters that used to be able to kill you. In Oblivion everything is constantly catching up with you, power-wise. There was also a bit of a rinse and repeat quality to dealing with the gates.

For all that, though Dragon Age ended up being too linear and limiting for my taste. I haven't played Fable II, so I don't know how it compares.

7. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'll get a lot of hate for this but whatever, I couldn't stand Dragon Age. There I said it. It took about 45 minutes to get to one battle, which fine, there's quite an in-depth story, but once the action did start pouring in I realized this game was on rails. I mean seriously, I couldn't jump off the first bridge leading to the first village?! Sad. You can of course admire the view as long as you want.

In contrast, my first go I had with Oblivion I probably spent a good couple of hours just killing rats in caves, collecting shrooms, and outfitting myself with random rags and decayed armor I would steal off of goblins, trolls, or human corpses/skeletons. This obsessive tangent only worsened once I found a torch. It is a completely engrossing RPG. To give you another example, my friend fired up her save and showed me that at a certain point in the game you could spend hours competing in Roman style arena duels. Which is cool on the surface, but even better when people start interacting with you differently once they realize you are that bad**s who maims fools just because.

8. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    Seems like the OP has already decided, but Oblivion (as the only one I have played of those) works pretty well on the xbox, and the Game of the Year edition is pretty cheap. Talking value for money, you can't go wrong, as the game is massive, with lots of content. If you have played Fallout 3, you will know what you are in for with Oblivion.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Oblivion would have been the best bet. A five year old can beat Fable blindfolded with both hands behind his back.

10. Rezur

Rezur Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    I didn't have to wipe the floor with the monsters in Oblivion - they just killed themselves by attacking me thanks to 100% reflect damage on my armor. I also had a set of armor I use to equip before I had 100% reflect that made me completely invisible. I was also able to jump like 60+ feet in the air. So yeah, I was basically a god in Oblivion.

This wasn't the PC version by the way. No mods here.

11. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Dragon Age is one of the best games I've ever played but if you want it, get it on the PC because controls are much better and graphics are sharper. It had an amazing story and I loved the strategic combat.

Oblivion was pretty cool but I somehow didn't like it, if you're going to get one of these games I'd probably get Oblivion because Fable is nothing special and Dragon Age is best played on PC.

12. Osmiral

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm having a lot of fun playing Fable 2 right now, but Oblivion is definitely going to be the next game I get.

13. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Harsh OP your missing out on some game. I have completed dragon age 3 times, half way through rice more and have a bunch of early games. It's so brilliant. Great story, characters, talents, tonnes of items to equipment use. There is lots of strategy involved which makes some battles. Also why go fable 2 if 3 just came out and is meant to be just like 2 but improved.

And I do love me some oblivion. It's a game I have played loads aswell.

14. synther

synther Well-Known Member

Oblivion sucks for ****ing life!

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Says the guy who plays Eliminate and Tap Tap.

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Your location sucks.

17. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Everyone is hating on Fable II but it really wasn't that awful of a game... and III is even better. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's better than DA:O (As I logged in like 60+ hours into that game w/o Awakening) but it's still a good game. And as much as I liked Oblivion, I didn't lol. It was a great game, just couldn't get into it as much.

18. IcarusFly

IcarusFly Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Music teacher, administrator of a home for abandon
    USA
    Hey just to list another game. I haved played all three and for me each has it's charmes. I enjoyed DA:O for the story and strategy, I like Fable because it was just easy to pick up and play, and Oblivion was just never ending stories and loot drops. Recently I have been playing Arcania: Gothic 4 on pc. It has it's bugs (both the kind you kill, and that drive you nuts), but I have really enjoyed it. The combat is just so fluid that it makes every battle fun. The voice acting is just downright funny, but I didn't find it annoying. And the story was actually semi-interesting. Not many loot drops but there is some crafting. You definitely want to wait till it hits the bargain bin or get it used, but it is a great little gem (probably only last you one weekend, though I have put around 15-20 hours into it and am right around the end.) just a heads up, and try the demo first.

19. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I played the Demo for it and am amazed at the world. You can literally go anywhere it's so huge lol.

20. Tg43

Tg43 New Member

Jul 23, 2012
    topgamesforfree
    Role-Playing games