Universal Drag'n'Boom (by Ankama)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by UltraBanaman, Sep 12, 2017.

1. UltraBanaman

UltraBanaman Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2017
    Artist / GD @AnkamaGames
    France
    What a crazy week-end !

Hey salut !

Thank you for your kind messages. What a crazy weekend for Drag'n'Boom (and for us).
    Thanks to Apple's Global featuring, a lot of players have discovered the game around the world and the feedbacks are very good so far.
    So much emotion when reading the comments here and on the different App Stores worldwide. I saw a video in Russian, and even in languages I can't identify ah ah.
    We made the choice early on to have no text in the game (except very well known game related expression like, "go", "game over", etc), using only pictograms and sounds to communicate. This helped making it universal. With the video game media I feel so lucky to be able to create experiences for people from everywhere.

I said that I will tell you the story of the game. Let's begin:

Chapter one:The pitch of the game:

At the beginning there was no Dragon at all. My first idea was about a romantic archer, student of Leonard da Vinci who attacks castles to draw portraits of princesses while they are asleep. I presented it to my boss, they smiled and said ok :) the name was "Les forteresses de l'amour" in French (Fortresses of Love in English I guess). Here are some pictures which illustrated our presentation:

[​IMG]

As you can see. At this time the name was just the name of the gameplay mechanic... you Drag and... Boom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued in touch arcade forums :)

2. Calm

Calm Member

Sep 18, 2017
    So no iCloud support? Any plans to include it?

3. Sarok

Sarok Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Thanks Billy! Glad you're enjoying it :)

When we added the option to remove ads, we faced the question of what to do with the daily gold button, but Loïc and I quickly reached the conclusion that if you have paid for the game and support it us that way, you should see no more ads, no matter if it's opt-in or not. Although it seems there may be a bug when just having purchasing it, I'll look into this!

We store player progress in iOS Keychain, which is then sync automatically to iCloud by the device. I didn't encounter any issues during my tests, but don't hesitate to let me know if you do please!

4. Calm

Calm Member

Sep 18, 2017
    #44 Calm, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Nevermind,I sorted it out. This really is a good game. So satisfying to see the carnage unfold in slo mo! Will there be plans to include skins for the dragon? Or like other environments? I can't honestly think of ideas to improve in terms of gameplay since it's perfect already.

PS. THIS should have been the game of the week hands down. It's fresh, it's unique, it has a good IAP model, and most of all, it's fun!The game of the week was all hype, sadly.

5. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Hmm! I did find it, but on my iPad it's sort of hidden.
    "New Games We Love" shows 15 games on the front page, but if you click "see all" there are two more in a list of 17... one of which is Drag'n'Boom.
    Oh well. Seems to be doing well regardless.

Really enjoying the details about the history and development of the game. Looking forward to more.
    I'm also hoping this exceeds all your hopes for success so you can add new ideas and content. If you come up with more, I trust it will be fun stuff.
    Long live the tiny dragon!

6. GalDrogo

GalDrogo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Hi somehow i cant post screenshots lol. But its long range cluster bombs. IIRC 4-5each shot. Crazy powerful.
    However my go to fireball is still the shotgun type.:)

7. GalDrogo

GalDrogo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Hi Devs!! Took me 3 days. I grinded on lvl10, using Shotgun blast. So 1k+ gold each run which takes less then a minute # LOVE THIS GAME

8. UltraBanaman

UltraBanaman Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2017
    Artist / GD @AnkamaGames
    France
    Hey salut !

Chapter 2 : Art Direction Quest

As I said, I draw a lot on paper to find ideas. Today not so much words. Here are the pictures :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued on touch arcade forums...

9. swordofsilence

swordofsilence New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks devs for making the game - I've been enjoying it! I would love a toggle to turn on/off the 30 FPS cap.

I was contemplating buying the ad removal IAP, but I've heard that devs actually make less on that then people just watching the ads. For selfish reasons, I'd enjoy the IAP, but I'm curious if I'm actually better supporting the devs by not buying it. Maybe that depends on how the IAP is priced. Thoughts?

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Very fun game. Glad I picked it up!

11. Gigi26

Gigi26 New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    please continue with your postmortem, love the art direction chapter

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I'll second this!
    Seeing all the potential designs for the dragon etc is really interesting!

13. Blankito

Blankito Active Member

May 29, 2015
    The game is great! I love it! Actually wouldn't have expected the controls to work so smooth!

14. Earvin19

Earvin19 New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Drag'n'Boom Sound Problems

WHAT A GREAT GAME BUT A FEW PROBLEMS WITH THE MUSIC!!! PLEASE FIX!!
    I like to play some of my games with background music of my own yet this game pauses any background songs :( so I would really love it if you guys were to allow this. Also another problem is when I mute both sound effect and music in-game there are still shooting sounds... it would be much appreciated if these were fixed and would just make my experience of the game so much better that it was. I really love this game except for these missing features so Please fix these...it would be really appreciated... Thank You!

15. Sarok

Sarok Member

Sep 12, 2017
    The price for the No Ads IAP is 1.99$ (or 2.29€). Because we tried not to be too aggressive with advertisements, it's probably better to buy the No Ads option if someone would like to support us. In any case, thank you for even considering this :)

Thanks for the feedback, you're not the only one who mentioned this and I apologize for the poor user experience it creates. I've started looking into, but it may not be easy to prevent the game from disabling the device sound as it seems to be a recurrent bug with the Unity engine. I didn't give up though and hope to find a solution for the next update if possible.
    We also find out too late that some sounds/jingles were not correctly muted as you noticed, we already fix this for the next update.

16. Sarok

Sarok Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Chapter 3: Here be dragons

Chapter 3: Here be dragons

Well Loïc already spoiled a bit the dragon, but let me backtrack a little, because the story of how we arrived to have a dragon in the game is worth mentioning.

The initial pitch was mentioning a romantic archer guy. Easy to say, but designing the character was much harder, especially if it was to be displayed on a small mobile screen within a large area of a level, so Loïc was struggling a bit to find a design he was happy with.

Then one morning I arrived a bit later than usual, he was already there with an even bigger smile on his face than usual. He had wrote a roadmap on our whiteboard, and at its top I could find this
    [​IMG]

That was the nickname he gave to our controls, except he had added an "O" at a clever position. "Dragon Boom", "Drag-n-Boom" he told me a couple of times, so excited having found that pun. We love playing with words at Ankama, and I immediately loved this.
    There was also a cute little dragon next to it. I'm certainly not one to say no to dragons, but more importantly it would be much easier to design it and have it remain visible and identifiable even at a smaller scale.
    His design as a little ball also quite helped for the physics, as he's fitting in a simple circle shape, making it slide with no problem.

[​IMG]

There are a lot of games with dragons though, when picking one as the hero of our game, we knew we would need to make the game unique in a way to be able to stand out among all those games.

By the way the dragon has no name officially, but we often nickname him as "the little terror" when talking about it.

17. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Still enjoying the background on the game's creation. I'll look forward to hearing how things have been post-launch, too.

Good to see the positive review from TA.

I just had to quickly post a comment on the review over at 148Apps, as it seemed quite dismissive. And I'd hate for anyone NOT to give this game a try just because they read a 3 star review. Too much fun to miss at no cost!

18. UltraBanaman

UltraBanaman Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2017
    Artist / GD @AnkamaGames
    France
    Hey salut !

Thanks HelperMonkey for the message on 148Apps :)

What a nice week for Drag'n'Boom ! the game did well, and we are so excited with Romain because it means we can imagine new content for an update. New sheets of paper to doodle, nice ideas but we won't spoil you here.

I read you want to see more pictures about the art direction quest. Here you can see different dragons, mobs and backgrounds roughts.

Chapter 4: Digital roughts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you want to see more things about the production process ? To be continued on toucharcade forums...

19. aib.nihan

aib.nihan Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Indie Game Developer
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    this is o much fun to play

this is o much fun to play after a long time im feel good for this game :) but I think you need to guy's rethink about the pause page because if i pause the game then im confused how to continue this game and it make mistake to restart the game.

20. UltraBanaman

UltraBanaman Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2017
    Artist / GD @AnkamaGames
    France
    Level Design

Hey salut !

After the Art Direction, I wanted to show you the Level design process. We worked with tiles. With these tiles we buit rooms and finally we merge rooms to build a level. That's why we can create a procedural random level at the end. We combine random rooms with an index to say if it's flat, up , down , arena , start room or finish one. I am not sure there is still people here. Is there ? do I continue to post stuff ? Tell me please :)

Chapter five: Level Design.

[​IMG]