Universal Drag'n'Boom (by Ankama)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by UltraBanaman, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sarok

Sarok Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I'm the guy for the technical questions! :D

You are the first one I see mentioning it, you have a good eye! It's indeed not running at 60 fps. From the tests we did at the beginning, we found it was draining the battery way too much at 60 fps (although there was no optimizations done at that time). So I capped it at 30 fps and to be honest we never really thought or felt the need to go back to 60 fps.
    If this becomes an issue that players mention often, I probably could look into it again to offer an option to cap the game at 60 fps maybe, but it would require testing and potentially implementing more optimizations (and the things left to optimize are not the low hanging fruit anymore, so it would require quite a bit of work)

Would you say the current framerate prevent you from fully enjoying the game ?

2. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I would say yes because I want to see the cool stuff I just did at 60 FPS (throwing myself around and firing 360 no-scope). But it is not worth it working on this feature just for me. Maybe you can add 60 FPS without doing the optimizations and mentioning about it in the patch notes. You can touch and hold version number on the options screen for 10 seconds and it switches the framerate.

3. TempleRacer

TempleRacer Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Got to play for 10 minutes today. Really enjoyed it!!

I was actually bummed that the mechanics seemed too fast, for me to enjoy. Then I realized the time control. Nice!!!

4. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Man this game kicks a$$!!!! Bought the ad removal to support. Game is just fantastic and agree with the consensus of this thread.

Keep up the awesome job, now, back to playing

5. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Definitely have to check that out. I just started my third semester studying Game Development at AAU. I used Unity a bit last semester.

6. terang

terang Active Member

Feb 18, 2017
    #26 terang, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Love this game ❤️

7. GalDrogo

GalDrogo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Fantastic game.
    Any chance of seeing more vibrant background in an update? You know the standard medival fare?
    Yeah I "bought" the game just after tutorial too.
    Oh for those who were wondering, the Infinite Stage after Stage 50 does not imply endless run mode. Its a randomly generated stage that you can play infinitely.

8. GalDrogo

GalDrogo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Hi Devs.

I have unlocked every fireball available. Noticed I am still leveling up, sortof. 210 now. Is there a hidden fire skill beyond 200? Future updates/content? I was expecting probably flamebreath as a lvl200 skill #

9. UltraBanaman

UltraBanaman Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2017
    Artist / GD @AnkamaGames
    France
    Wow !

Hey salut !

Thank you all for your messages.

We had a good news recently. Drag'n'Boom is featured by Apple on the App Store in in a lot of countries.
    We are both humbled and excited that so many people play with our wild dragon.

Are you kidding me ? Do you know how much time it took to design all this stuff! :)
    Joke aside, congrats for reaching Level 200+ Around how much time did it take you ? And what is you favorite fireball ?

[​IMG]

I read you liked I share creative stuff with you. We'll have a lot of things to show you in future posts.

Attached Files:

10. Amesiu

Amesiu Member

Feb 3, 2016
    So good!

This game is so good! And dragon is very cute too^^ Animation and control is super fun:D

11. terang

terang Active Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Can you give me the screenshoot what 200 look like? # im on 134 now, i cant wait any longer hahah

12. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    No mention of this game on the front page of my US AppStore?!
    This is so much fun.
    Does Apple hate fun?

13. HelperMonkey

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    So I was enjoying myself, just spamming explosive fireballs on the hapless little people, and noting how SATISFYING the erupting destruction was in slow motion.
    And then I played the nighttime level.. And I thought "What if there were LIGHTING effects with the fire?!"
    Ooh! Ooh! You wonderful friendly Devs... Can we get lighting effects with the fire? Boom! Flash! Woo!

(LOL. Can you tell I like your game? I really hope it does well for you. My favorite fireballs so far through level 60 are the short-range shotgun blast and the the high speed triple burst. Both unlocked fairly early, both hard to beat. But I do plan to unlock all of them!)

14. Sarok

Sarok Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Well, I've started looking into it, and I believe that implementing it in an unsupported way like you suggested might just work! Thanks for the suggestion, if it makes it into our next update, I'll keep you posted here :)

Thank you for the your feedback, and I confirm that you can't go wrong with the "shotgun" like fireball, it's one of my favorite as well!

About the lightning effects, I believe we talked about it with Loïc during the development, but it was one of the (many) things we had to put aside because of the schedule and time left. But I admit that having more interaction with the environment would be great, definitely something to keep in mind!

15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    So I finally had time to sit down with this game. After 2 minutes of playing I purchased the no ads. Yea it's that good.

There's something so satisfying playing this game. For starters the controls are effing perfect. Whatever dev designed them should be given a raise. It's so well implemented you don't even need a tutorial and yet you can easily control every aspect of the way that dragon fights and moves without even thinking about it. I absolutely love it!

The level designs are fun and upgrading the dragons fireball is fun as well. Even though I paid for no ads I find this game so much fun I've actually watched the opt in ads for coins. I don't mind this at all.

This game definitely gets Billy's seal of approval. Well done devs. It's a damn fun game with damn awesome on screen controls.

Billy

16. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Yeah, I got this game on release day, it's really fun.. There is just something super gratifying about shooting the castle guards in slow motion multiple times. Total Fluidity..

One thing I wanted to mention though, is that the opt-in ads were removed once I bought the no-ads iap. Now, I just have free chests to immediately open instead of watching videos. The chests stack, so it's like 3 or 4 chests back to back and then they are gone, only to return again after a few hours. Easy Money. Works for me.. :)

Another great example of FTP done right.

Thanks, Devs, for the free chests and the cool game.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #37 LordShad0wz, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    You know what. You are right. I went and restored the purchase and yea now it's just chests. That's funny. I thought it was like other games. I guess it was just wonky. Thank you very much for posting this or I wouldn't have even known lol. That makes it even more worth the money. The No Ads button turned white now.

Really well done devs. Seriously. I'm a fan.

Billy

18. Calm

Calm Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Please, please tell me there is iCloud support...

19. HelperMonkey

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    #39 HelperMonkey, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Even though the US AppStore curation seems to have ignored this game for any kind of feature, I'm so glad to see it's still received more than a thousand reviews, and almost all giving five stars!
    (And #3 on the free charts right now, I see!)
    Congrats to the developers, and I hope the success continues.

20. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #40 JohnnyClash, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    It's been featured in the 'New Games We Love' section since Thursday.. In the US

Attached Files: