iPad Dr Awesome... REVEALED!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by superbad, Nov 20, 2008.

1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I dont understand the game play but it looks cool. LOLZ

2. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    That looks ****ing sweet. I'll buy it, looks funny too.

3. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Its like an updated version of Virus featuring cool characters, animation, and a different form of enclosing the infection. Sure there are other features but its still the same concept as Virus from what I can tell.

4. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    This game looks stupid. No no, i'm not impressed, not impressed at all...

5. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    WTF? Are you serious? This isn't like virus at all....i bought virus(sucked balls) and this isnt anything like it from what i can tell. Virus' objective is to fill up the screen, and do you see screen filling?

6. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Looks like a cool take on the old Qix game... could be fun...

7. The Lab

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    #8 The Lab, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
    True that in Virus you fill up the screen, which is a form of containing the virus and with Dr. Awesome it seems you contain the virus by cutting it off from, I don't know? some place it seems to be roaming around in.

Basically Dr. Awesome is Virus-esque on steroids. Repackaged with cool new features and Virus that shoot laser-like things at you. It also seems you get to pick from a list of your friends you want to infect, unless I'm mistaken on that part... But I really don't want to bother looking at the video again. (Correction: I looked at it again... and still seems the same to me).

I was hoping for an RPG with a Manga feel to it.

8. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Wow if you think this has anything to do with virus then leave toucharcade now n00b. They are completely different. The only thing they have in common is that they center around a virus. It is not "virus-esque" or anything of the sort.

9. The Lab

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Am I really, the only person here that doesn't think that this has the same purpose as Virus?

I like the fact that the game has a story with it, but the objective is still the same. I do see there the difference, but again do I really want to try and contain more viruses?

I love the artwork and characters but I was just hoping for a better use of them. So much props with that side of the game and the feature of using your contacts on your iPhone/iPod Touch, but as in purpose I still felt there was more that could have come out of it.

Not a fan of Virus and find myself a bit disappointed with Dr. Awesome.

I guess I fell into the hype that the screenshot gave and the name Dr. Awesome.

10. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Disappointed

I was hoping this would be a rich medical investigative game along the same Hollywood reality vein of "House"–sort of like the CSI Miami game but better. Not impressed by Neil Young crew as yet:(

11. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #12 Carlos-Sz, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
    It seems an improved Bix alike game. Cool graphics.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    to be fair, it will probably be priced cheaply.

arn

13. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Just disappointing

This doesn't look "awesome" at all.:mad:

14. correct I already own bix though which I like.

15. mek

mek Well-Known Member

it is more qix (think firetail) than expando (virus)

if u dont always have to start from level one then it might be good

16. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Probably people can like games with the same concept as this (iXonix, Bix) which are on the App Store right now, but because this was so hyped up people are disappointed. I don't really care because I like the concept (I did get Bix and I liked it) and just like arn said, it'll probably be at a low price anyway. Besides, right now (actually in December, not now) the only thing ngmoco had a chance of disappointing me with is Rolando, which I've been waiting for for a long time, but it looks like I'll be getting my $10's worth so I don't have anything to worry about anyway, right?

17. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Disappointed.

Its a clone of an old arcade game but i can't remember the name. Looks like a $1 game to me. Someone mention this having a storyline? That wouldn't work for me at all. Its an arcade, having a story is not going to make doing 50 lvls of the same thing "fun". Its like Pacman having a story, big deal.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    This just in from Neil at NGMOCO

"Dr.Awesome - 24 hours to save your friends. It's done. Next up, finishing up Dropship"

It's all done so it should be coming soon!

19. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    This game looks great. It'll also likely have that extra layer of polish ngmoco has been putting (or working with devs to put) into their games.

IF any game has proven that a simple game mechanic + funny and fun story can work, it's Puzzle Quest. This looks like the medical equivalent.