Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    You can get a power up which lets you eat enemy's bodies for hp

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Couple of questions: The ending is easy to get to when you play 2 rounds? What do you mean "play 2 rounds"? It's a roguelike, don't you only get to play 1 round?

And you say in this post that the boss is after world 4-3, then below you say there are 10 levels in the game. This confuses me. Do you mean there are 10 worlds?! Because if the boss was after 4-3 that would mean there are at least 12 levels + a boss...?

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #163 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    The iPad version is better suited regarding buttons, but it sucks on my iPad 3, so I only have my 4S to play it in, which is even harder than on a 5 or 5S due to the shorter screen.

On the other hand, even though buttons appear a bit separated from the bottom part, you can touch the very bottom edge of the screen to play. I hide the onscreen buttons and mentally divide the bottom part of the screen in three: left part to move left, center part to move right and right part to shoot/jump. This works quite well for me.

I always die on 2-2 or 2-3, so yeah, it's hard... Very hard. And I'm still in normal mode. I don't want to think about hardcore mode :D (this reminds me of FTL difficulty).

Forget about the hackers, go for the normal scores. Oh, and you can also set your own combo objectives ;)

4. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    #164 Quazonk, Oct 17, 2015
    Man, am I playing the same game as everyone else? Combo system? Huh? Is there a combo counter somewhere that is showing up for everyone but me?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the counter above my head lol

5. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #165 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 17, 2015
    Oh yes you are, but you still haven't discovered all of its secrets (me neither, mind, but this one yes).

A very brief description of combos: instead of shooting white enemies, jump on them. This reloads your ammo to kill red enemies. If you are capable of jumping on 5 enemies/kill 5 enemies WITHOUT stepping on a platform, a small 5 will appear on your player's head. That's the combo counter, which increases as your combo increases. The only exception to stepping on a platform is falling directly inside the circle next to the doors which lead to side-rooms. That doesn't count as a platform and you have the combo number on your head, which means that after collecting whatever there is in the room, you can continue your combo. I think that side-stepping on walls doesn't count as platform and maintains the combo system, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

EDIT: nice to see you found the counter, you just had to look up a bit :D

6. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @Eirik: I'd also appreciate a landscape option to play on my 4S, although I hope this new view doesn't affect performance. I'm still wondering how on Earth can this game run so well on my 4S and suffer so many slowdowns on my iPad 3. Is it because of the definition of the tiles used in one version and the other? If so, why not use iPhone tiles on iPad 3 and below? (Or even iPad 4, which I've read doesn't perform well either).

7. Deckard74

Deckard74 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I did actually think the same thing as you at first, there was a guy who had a very similar username to Maglor but as far as I'm aware you can't have the exact same TA username as somebody else so the cat is back!

8. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    @Eirik,

Will you guys update the game with new content? Something like an (unlockable) endless/score attack mode with leaderboards would be nice.

9. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Wow, now knowing about the combo system (now the floaty style makes so much sense), the game opens up even much more. Damn, everything is sooooo good. Still thrilled after so many sessions.

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I have to admit, I don't get all the hype surrounding this game, it just seems so repetitive, and starting over from cavern-1 after a long run seems extremely frustrating. I mean, it's the same mechanic and also doing the same thing over and over. I dunno. I'm possibly missing something, each to his own taste.

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    @Eirik,
    Any hope for MFI controller support? The controls work pretty well for me (for the most part) but I would have so much more precision with a controller.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I see this one as the baby Slayin and Knightmare Tower never had. Somewhat similar progression to Slayin, and with a fantastic angle in the mechanics of KT.

13. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    What I liked in Knightmare Tower was the persistent upgrades which eventually helped you in winning the game. So it gave a feeling of progression, you always improved your skills, which was rewarding. Here, from what I see, there are no persistent upgrades so that rewarding progression is gone and we're left with playing the same routine again and again.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I finally beat the game the ultra-easy way,
    by installing it on the iPad 3, where it's veeeery slow, and playing in ultra-slow motion until the end, getting many 25 chain combos to increase my lifes
    because I'm too bad at this kind of games. The game is fantastic, incredible progress of the stages and must be very rewarding when you beat it normally. I'll continue trying to beat it as it was intended though, because it's an amazingly great platformer, fantastic for semi-short play sessions.

15. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    I usually hate these games, 8 bit retro, as there is too many.......so if i can love this game, well its a no brainer. The dev deserves every bit of success and to make it premium what a guy, as they could have gone freemium with this but chose not too, so i hope they reap the rewards.....so far the game is flawless for what it is.

16. moppin

moppin New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    #176 moppin, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Hi, dev here.
    I'm glad that you're all enjoying the game! :)

I'm really sorry about the game running slow on devices not in the recommended devices list, AND also on iPad 4 - That was an oversight on my part, I thought iPad 4 could run the game so I included it in the list but turned out it couldn't.
    I have tried my best at optimizing the game but simply could not get it running on older iPads... I won't be able to fix that, and as such I will be removing iPad 4 from the description and instead will rewrite into iPad Air or later.

I'm aware of the problem with playing the game on iPad Mini 4 where the game boots up as the phone version, with the buttons and HUD centered. I am looking into this and hopefully will have fixed it with the next update.

Also, super strange note, but Eirik that appeared in page 17 of this thread is not the actual Eirik Suhrke that worked on the game with me. I have absolutely no idea why the guy (talwar?) is trying to be Eirik, as he doesn't seem to be trying to cause any trouble, but rather just acting as a really polite dev.. Super weird!
    In any case, we decided to add COUSIN TALWAR to the credit roll in the next update ;)
    The team had a good laugh on this, so thanks talwar!

17. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Ding ding ding

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Will the real dev please stand up? lol.

19. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    hello, Moppin. thank you for this amazing and truly special game.
    also, talwar is for sure pretty nice little dev!
    lol.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Hey Moppin, several things:

- In the Spanish App Store description you should add "recomendado" after the minimum device specs, because on the 4S it works excellently. I don't know if it performs as intended or not, but I don't suffer many slowdowns.

- In the Spanish App Store, where it says "poco" (for "well") it should say "pozo".

Also, why is it that it performs well on the 4S and bad on the iPad 4? Wouldn't loading the iPhone version tileset on the iPad 3-4 allow for a smooth experience on those devices? It's the first time I see a game perform well on the 4S and bad on the iPad 3...