Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Deckard74

Deckard74 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2012
    No, Shaun Musgrave has verified that the post made by Maglor in the Downwell comments is indeed the one and only feline!

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    This game is awesome. That MUSIC. They just absolutely nailed the 80's NES-era chiptunes in this game. It harkens back to the days of Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden for me. The low bassline over the main melody, and the harmonies that kick in every so often. I seriously would buy this game just for the music.

The gameplay is fast and frantic, and a lot of fun. Runs are usually really short and I wish they were a little longer before the difficulty really takes off. I also love pixel art, but I wish this game would've turned them up just a touch. The colour palette is very limited no matter what style you choose, and my problem is that sometimes amidst the frantic action I sort of lose track of where my character is until I get hit, since I'm the same colour as the environment and most of the objects/effects etc. Hopefully it's something I grow used to enough to not have it contribute to my failure the more I play the game.

Great effort by the dev anyways, 4.5 stars from me.

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
  4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    For me the best colour palette is the original one, since it distinguishes enemies:

- White ones: jump on them to kill them.
    - Red ones: shoot them, because you'll lose a life if you jump on them.

I really wish the other palettes did this too, but not all of them do.

5. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, really? Nice to see him back, in that case. But what was with the comments below the cat saying that there was someone else who had just adopted his username?

6. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
  7. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011

Thanks VBF, I'll bet you had the same little soft spot I did for the "VBoy" colour palette. Too bad it's terribly confusing to use in-game since there's no distinguishing between enemy types :p

Sidebar: I just got my Red Alarm NFR demo and Wario Land NFR demo carts in the mail to complete my 16-game North American Virtual Boy set! Had to express my glee to somebody and I figured you'd appreciate it :D

8. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Wow. Just wow. I wouldn't have given it a second look had it not been for the TA Review and everyone's comments. Sometimes its a good idea to follow the leader. Love this game!

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Cool! Nice to see VB still has followers aside from me. Now for the Japanese collection and prototypes :D

Downwell wise, as you say, it's a pity that distinguishing enemy types is so difficult in vboy mode, but it doesn't matter. The game is so amazing that it sucks me in baaaad :p

10. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Any guide on this game? Power ups are cryptic and what's the gem high do

11. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    I was going through the devs Twitter and saw he made it mostly using game maker, that being said I love this game. My highest combo so far is fourteen using the levitate style.. So I'm not great at it but it sure is fun. I personally like the aqua palette more than the original because it's a little less harsh on the eyes. My thumbs have been cramping too on the iPhone 6 but if you reach out to moppin on Twitter he's super responsive, he's already replied that he'll consider adding landscape rather than portrait. I think he's also going to nerf the knife and fork power up

12. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

Alright! Finished hard mode! :D too bad there's nothing after this :(

13. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    So I was ready to give up on the game because playing on the phone was difficult. I just tried it on the iPad and holy smokes it's a different game. Easily goty contender if more levels or an arcade mode is added. It really does feel like a different game with more screen real estate. Loving it now.

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Bought a PS4 recently with a bunch of indie goodies and this game has made me forget completely about them.. Binding of Isaac, hotline Miami, axiom verge have all taken a back seat to this awesome little game.. It's so addicting..

15. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #155 Duke12, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Interestingly suddenly game lost all its sounds for me -.-

Edit: lol, right after writing this they magically came back

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    You finished hard mode with the hardest style? That sure is hard... :D

17. DerDree

DerDree Active Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Really like this game. But is it only me or do you lose quite some view space because of the buttons in comparison to the pc version? I mean that you cant see as far down because of your fingers which means that the pc version would be easier.

Oh and is there no sync between ipad and iphone?

18. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I die every time on 1-3. Been playing for days at a time. And I die at level 1-3. I suck. Wow, I die, simply die. This game is hard right?

19. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

Hue hue hue I just realized that there are leaderboards :) I must dominate them! (Although I spot some hackers in the highest combo section) more speedy runs await! :D

20. talwar

talwar Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Can u gain back HP if how then how????
    Also any tips as i am new to the game