Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Wow I'm loving this game. The controls are super tight and the shooting mechanics are so satisfying... It plays wonderfully on my iPad Mini 2.

I wish the Gboy palette had more contrast to it, it's kind of hard to see and differentiate stuff.

Could someone explain the combo system and gem high systems?

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Combo system: fall on enemies, kill enemies, fall on more enemies: all adds +1 to combo, but DON'T fall on platforms, as it breaks the combo.

Gem high system: I don't know, I just see like a red deja-vu of myself when I'm on a gem high...

3. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Thanks for the info. Too bad I can't play it on my iPad :(

4. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Though i still suck an unexpected big time in this brilliant GOTY contender of mine, i keep playing whenever i find a spare minute. And yes, of course, it gets a crampy thumbs experience after ____ (fill in) minutes, and maybe only an iphone 6plus would solve this problem on a little screen, more or less.

Eli's spot on review mentioned the only little flaw this game has on the little iphone screens...

@Devs (ahm, are they here yet?)
    Have you thought about the possibility to cut off the life/gem counter and therefor have the exact needed amount for the thumbs to not obscure the screen on the bottom?
    To see your lives/gems, simply pause the game, or when you're in a shop, it automatically shows up for you to know what to buy (more lives etc.)

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Downwell for iOS and My 2 Cents:
    (I'll get back to doing the My 2Cents videos soon. I was just trying something different.)

Ok. I wasn’t going to write about Downwell because I’m sure people are probably sick of hearing me talk about it, but I just wanted to at least give “My 2 Cents” on the game.

The first thing everybody is probably going to notice is the visual style. To be honest, when I first saw the screenshots awhile ago, I wasn’t impressed. I absolutely love pixel art, but I’m weird about it. I can really love a game just because of the pixel art and it can also make me not like the game because of it. I know, I’m weird. It’s hard to explain. Once you start playing Downwell, you end up loving the artwork. The little details that are added, the homage to old school NES games, it’s all there. You find little things like changing the color palette so rewarding. (Back to that later.)
    The premise of this game is basically your character falling down a well. I won’t get into story details or anything. That’s a pet peeve of mine. I’d rather find out the story for myself in games. I kind of like going in blind when I start a game.

Anyway, so I guess you could call it a “downward platformer/shooter/roguelike”? I don’t know, but the object is to get to the bottom of each level while shooting enemies and parts of the well with your “GunBoots”. Yes, GunBoots. They are pretty self explanatory. During your travels down the well, you will pick up gems, find secret rooms and stop at little stores to buy power-ups to help you along your way. In between each level, you are given a choice out of 3 upgrades for the rest of your run. The cool thing is that these upgrades can all be stacked in different ways depending on your run. So each run is totally different. Also, I should add that once you die, you start over from the beginning again, so it’s all about stacking the perfect upgrades and trying not to get hit (obviously).

That’s one thing I like about this game is that no two runs are the same. The levels are procedurally generated. So add that to all the different upgrades you can stack and it’s like a new game each run. The other thing that’s cool is the gems that you collect are added up at the end up each run and once you collect enough, you are rewarded with different (permanent) game styles and color palettes. I won’t go into detail on the color palettes or game styles either. Some of them are a pretty cool surprise.

As far as controls go, they’ve worked perfect for me. You have a left button, right button, and your shoot button. It can get a little frustrating during the harder levels because your thumbs are kind of in the way sometimes. With your character traveling downward and your thumbs at the bottom of the screen working the controls, your thumbs will block things once in a while. Other than that, the controls work great! I’m not sure if having the controls at the top of the screen would be the quick fix or not. It seems like it would be a little awkward holding the device then.

Oh, and the soundtrack is really good by the way. Beautiful chip tune music that really brings out the nostalgia feel to the game.
    I’ve had a blasty blast with Downwell so far. It’s easily my GOTW for sure. I’d have no problem recommending this game to anybody that’s a fan of shooters or platformers.

Well, that’s My 2 Cents.

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Nicely said brother. And I agree. There's no way I could hold my device with the controls at the top. I'd feel all weird about it. It would be really awkward. And I hate tilt. They should just let us put it into landscape.

Billy

7. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    BTW: Is it just me, or do the little "blob" enemies make you think of Sega Genesis controllers?

Attached Files:

8. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Started streaming down well if you want to see some not the best but very fast play and combo heavy play. =]

9. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

#109 Puke Aces, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    An addition to the combo system.

8 kills = 100 gems
    15 kills = 100 gems + 1 permanent bullet
    25 kills = 100 + 1 permanent bullet + 1 hp

Don't get any higher as I had gotten a 100 kill combo but there was no extra reward :(

Oh yeah cute ending btw and hope this helps :)

Edit: hard mode is hard :) and it works on iPad mini 1st gen (although it seems I'm moving at kero blaster speed) it's still enjoyable and so much still left to do!

I personally hate world 4 :) just saying :)

10. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I got to 4-1....pretty brutal, but great for building up combos.

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Cute ending? You made it to the end? I officially hate you. Lol

Billy

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    There's an ending?!?!? WOW!!! Time to get back to playing :D

13. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Inbefore flood of endless mode requests " self included"

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
  15. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    #115 Tulki, Oct 16, 2015
    I'm torn... this game is awesome, but it's physically painful to play on an iphone 6. The controls just don't work in portrait here. It hurts to control the game the way it is, and I'm kinda surprised it got a 5* review.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay really is 5*, and it feels fine on an ipad mini. But the controls are physically painful enough on an iphone 6 to warrant dropping a whole star in my opinion. I wouldn't be as annoyed if it had icloud or something so I could transfer progress to an ipad and binge on it at home without my hands cramping up.

If there was a way to play the game in landscape without everything looking too small it would totally solve this and make the game a GOTY contender for me.

16. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Agree there's a little delay (like half second) when playing on the iPad 4. ;(
    Damn it, I'd like to play on my iPad, since I find the controls more comfortable.

17. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

The ending was easy to get to when you play 2 rounds :) the boss comes around after limbo (world 4-3) so be prepared to see a horrifying beast when you get down there :)

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    #118 your personal robot, Oct 16, 2015
    I play this game (and use the keyboard) with left thumb and right index finger. No fatigue, great even on my iPhone 4S and I write faster than people using autocorrect :D

19. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Started streaming down well if you want to see some not the best but very fast play and combo heavy play. =]

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    4-3, mmm... I got to 3-1 (underwater) once, but got killed. My 4S is at 5% battery, flat due to playing Downwell for the last 1.5h. Amazing game.