Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I'm loving the game. I just wish you could play with one hand. Maybe an option to move the fire button above the controls.

Vertical games aren't comfortable on a 5s when u have to use both thumbs.

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Ha! I think he would like this one! It's on my short list for GotY already. Managed to get to level 3-1 today at work (in the bathroom - I swear, I get most of my high scores in there. Lol).

I reached out to the dev (@Moppin_) on Twitter and referred him to the forum. Hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Can I be honest?

After playing and playing. I actually wish on my iPhone 5s I could play in landscape with the left/right buttons on the left and the jump button on the right.

I'm not complaining by any means. I can't stop playing. But I just feel like my fingers are in the way.

This is a serious game of the year contender for me. I went to the support button from the AppStore and it sent me to the website and the website sent me to Twitter. Argh.

Billy

4. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    No to be stupid but how does everyone hold their phone in portrait when having to use both thumbs. I have a hell of a time without my hands hurting fairly quickly. Maybe I can't play while lounging on the couch. Sitting up so the phone is parallel to the ground is the only way I can play with no discomfort.

5. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    This game will never leave my phone or iPad. It is an absolute classic! Furthest I have got so far is to the water level.

Peeps have been complaining a little about controls on iPhone. They don't bother me at all! But the perfect way to play this game is definitely on iPad!

6. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Gosh this game is hard...

7. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Just cracked the 2,000 gem mark.. Damn this game is good..

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I like the game but the touch controls are awful. Really hope this comes to Vita/PS4 at some point.

9. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013

Huh? Controls are flawless for me...

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Glad you find them that way. Not saying other games with on-screen buttons are better. These work as well as can be expected. The game would be a lot more fun for me with physical controls. YMMV.

11. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Given the publisher I'd bet a Vita version will be coming soon

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    There's an unlockable Virtual Boy mode! This game is a must-have just because of that! :D

13. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Fantastic bit of fun. I'm still not quite sure I know exactly what's going on through all the mayhem, it's a cracking game with excellent controls and aesthetics.

14. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Wow the Gboy pallete is gorgeous ####
    Any one knows what the balloon perks is for?

15. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

As far as I can tell, it just explodes when it comes in contact with an enemy. There could be more to it than that though. I usually pick something different.

16. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    You guys were quite right, this game is really great!
    Can anyone explain me how to select a pallette though? I can only change style, but I'm unlocking all kinds of other things, which I don't know how to select.

17. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    I asked the same question some pages ago, when you're outside the well, just click on the top part of the screen, it will launch the menu.

18. bugsland

bugsland Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    #98 bugsland, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Great looking game and overall very positive.
    Well done to the developers.

A few comments though:
    - I don't find the control very... Comfortable! Sounds weird I know but on an iPhone 6, playing it for even a short period of time (I.e 5 minutes). My thumbs start to hurt! Ok, that might just be me, need to toughened up, etc. But I never really had that problem with any other games before. I have to admit I usually play in landscape mode so that's probably why. And when it is in portrait most of my games play with one hand or tilt.
    - one thing that would work better, but maybe that's just me, would be to have the left right controls on the top left corner and the jump/hit bottom right. That way you would hold your phone fully in your left hand, plus you would gain more visibility down the well! Only positive right? :)
    In fact, the best option would be to let the user put all the controls where they want! That way everyone would be happy :)
    - I would love an option to continue, maybe punishing the player by resetting the score when choosing that option. But I found it just well... A bit boring having to do it all again. I know, it is each time a different world. But what makes me want to progress are 2 things:
    A) power up or skills you improve and that you keep after you die. But I don't see that really working here. Maybe I am missing something.
    B) that's the most important for me: new scenery/monsters/etc. If I could continue and see different graphics that would push me to continue. Keep your power up and go deeper into the well. Loose the score or permanent power up build up. But just keep throwing new graphics to the player. Yes, I could just be patient and grind my way down through better acquired skills. Sure. But that doesn't always fit a more casual gaming approach.

These are small comments/negatives. I found This game worth the price, it is fun, very well crafted.
    I just wish my thumbs were less sore! ;)

19. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Has anybody here dared to play Downwell from an older device like the iPad 2 (or even iPad 3)? While the description says better devices are recommended, I wonder how it fares playing on the lower-specs.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Balloon perk makes you fall more slowly.

In iPad 3 it's way too slow (JB iOS 7.1.2), on iPhone 4S it's fantastic (JB iOS 7.1.2).