Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Mfi support would be awesome.

2. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Guessing pixel art isn't your thing huh? Perhaps "hideous" isn't the right word.. Maybe it just isn't your style.. I love the graphics personally.. To each his own ##

As far as the gameplay, wow.. I could see myself playing this for a long time.. Fired it up for about ten minutes and had a blast.. Love the shoot and recoil mechanic.. This game hits all the right spots for me

3. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Hey guys,
    How does the game control exactly?
    And could anyone tell me what makes it so fun?

4. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Plan to buy this but then Apple Store goes down. Suck.
    Can someone confirm this ?

5. Geertyy

Apr 15, 2013
    Yes, it's been down for me all day. Sucks really bad on a thursday :(

6. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    You got a left right button on the left of the screen and a jump button on the right of the scrren

What males it fun is the fast paced gameplay and tight control you have 4 health point at start and you could got to this area where there are items that give you more firepower(shotgun,multiple bullets,lasers,etc)
    and also at the end of a stage you can choose 1 from the perks

You can also unlock color and other things that I dunno of since I only got to play it like 15 minutes today

I totally dig this !!

7. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    i played for a while, excellent game. I unlocked several new palettes of colors, but don't know how to change them. I can change style, i unlocked Manual for now, but don't know where you change colors.

8. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #48 Qwertz555, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    The controls are incredibly tight and spot on, really. You have the left-right buttons down in the left corner (Devs, thanks for the invisible option), a shoot/jump button in the right corner, as well as a short and a longer jump (hold the button). The usual layout, but no option to switch them, as far as i've noticed.

Fun...lol, difficult question with an "each to his own" answer.

Do you love a gorgeous pixel style, a frantic highscore chase and powering up yourself?
    You can pace your descent yourself by stopping and planing ahead a bit, depends on what and how much your jumping and shooting. Ahead of you are many different powerups to choose from as well. Lots to learn to help your personal play style. So the replay value is immense.
    Let me put it this way: If you like auto-battles or other inactive stuff with no skills needed, then this game might not be for you.

I'm only twenty minutes in and still overwhelmed how this game is tailored for me.

GOTW

Edit: change the palette while on menu screen. Tap top right corner, change with left-right buttons, choose with shoot button.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Best way I could describe this is Ridiculous Fishing meets Dandy: The Candy Alchemist

10. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Hell yeah spot on

And great music

11. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Damn, thanks, don't know how you could find it, even now that I know where it is, there's absolutely no clue, or am I blind ?
    Anyway I could put invisible buttons and gboy color, very nice, thanks again.

12. Geertyy

Apr 15, 2013
    Wow, that all and what others said sounds great.
    I also really liked ridiculous fishing, if it's really like that, awesome! :)
    I'll probably check it out when the appstore is up again for me.

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    This game is INCREDIBLE!!! Personally, the coolest arcade platformer in years. Everything just feels right! And I'm playing it on my 4S. It's running perfectly fine. Reached level 2.2 in my first run and I'm pretty blown away by how perfect everything feels. Music, style, animations (!!!), love the main character's movements. Upgrades and random levels make this a keeper. And it's damn addicting. Seriously, one of the very best games I've played in a long long time! It's such a joy!

14. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    This game is truly fantastic, but I wish it had a cloud save feature!

15. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #55 Duke12, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    You can tap any top part of the screen it seems

16. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Does this support controllers? Also guys, is there a good site or anything for a list of controllers out there or anyone have experience with a good controller? I want to invest in one but don't know too many or what's the best..

17. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    So good Jesus Christ this game is perfect

18. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    You also really need to know Dandy (sidescrolling shooter) with its many different (some hectic) enemies behaviour to feel/dig in to JCho's post:
    "Best way I could describe this is Ridiculous Fishing meets Dandy: The Candy Alchemist"

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This game is great bro, you'll love it!

20. bhornburg

bhornburg Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game looks amazing, can't wait to pick it up :)

I'm curious, why when you click on this game (in the iOS app) it goes to the game info page, where it shows it has a two star rating, however if you click on comments it shows TA users have universally given it 5 stars. Also, if you look at the app in the App Store, it currently has a solid 5 star rating.

I'm just mentioning this because the info page almost always has this messed up average score that makes games look like they have low scores (once again, this is in the touch arcade app that I'm seeing this). seems like this could negatively impact developers, since I usually just glance at this page when new games come out to see if they're worth checking out. I personally think you should just get rid of the "average" score on the info page and put the touch arcade score, people will see the App Store score if they click through to download it or want to see more about it on the App Store.