Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I take the catacombs very slowly. For some reason it's very easy to be hit when jumping on ghosts from the side. Don't worry about combos if you have knore and fork. Eat all of your victims!
    As for water stage, I generally ignore jellyfish unless they're in my way. Try to jump on most squids or they'll rain on your parade. Literally.
    If there's too many squids falling down don't be afraid to slow down and let the them pass. Jet pack is great for this.

I hope you like doing combos, because the 4th world makes them compulsory.
    I am by no means an expert- me winning was more luck than skill haha
    Good luck!

2. BlingBlang

BlingBlang Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Is there a dev on here? Can someone confirm the frame rate issue?

Also, what is the bar meter right under my health meter represent?

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    If you fill up that meter while having full health, you add a heart to your potential max. In other words, if your health gauge is 4 and you fill up the meter below (by gaining additional hearts) then your health gauge will become 5. As for the frame rate issue, I think it's an intentional slowdown after taking damage.

4. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    how do you unlock styles? I get that palettes are unlocked as you collect gems.

5. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    The same way. Eventually you will unlock a style when you level up instead of a palette.

6. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Yussss finally beat Downwell with full health. Also just reached 1,000,000 points. This game really crept up and became one of my very top contenders for GOTY this year.

Onto the hard mode...

7. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    First Wayward Souls and now this? Ridiculous :eek:

8. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Dude, how did you do that? I can't even get past level 4-3. What is the last level BTW?

9. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #409 Quazonk, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Oh, man. 4-3 IS the last level before the final boss. You're almost there, 5-1 is the boss. The boss is a bastard the first few times you play him, but his patterns become recognizable fairly quickly. Just a matter of dodging his triple-fireballs and killing the enemies he spews out as soon as they spawn.

A few tips: Working up your health and your charge are suuuuuper important. I found the "reverse engineering" perk to be really helpful here, because it allows you to shoot a gun module once to reshuffle. Each time you change guns, you're rewarded with either one health or two charge. So the more you change guns, the better....it just works out much easier if you're using guns that you have good control with. My favourite guns are the standard machine gun, the puncher, and the triple.

Second, combos are huge, too. The only stage that I don't recommend you chase combos too much in is the Catacombs. Too many surprise enemies that can hurt you, particularly those little dudes that throw bones in the air. Those guys are real combo killers. During the Aquifer and Limbo levels, I'm pretty much in combo-mode the whole time. I purposely break my combos after 25 too, since a 25 combo will reward you the same as a 100 combo, and obviously more completed combos = more rewards.

Another extremely helpful perk is the Knife and Fork. If you suck at combos, the Knife and Fork is your saviour. You can travel slowly down the well, killing enemies at a leisurely pace and eating their bodies for health (until you get to stage 3 and 4 where a little more speed is required). Every 4 "OMNOMNOM"s is a maximum health upgrade, so typically with the Levitate style, I'll start the game with 4 health but usually wind up with around 12 health by the end.

The Levitate style is the one to go with if you want to build combos, it's more floaty and allows you to descend a tiny bit more slowly than the other styles, which can be really helpful.

Another tip is just try to avoid allowing enemies to get above you. Try to kill everything (especially stuff that will chase you and is quick moving) on the screen as you descend. Probably 80% of the damage I take is because I passed by a bat or a ghost who flew down and hit me on top of my head.

I also always like to save my money for the "curry" item in the shops. This boosts your max health by 1, but is expensive. The only time I buy +1 or +2 health in the shop is when I already have a couple of health points and need either +1 or +2 to get to the next max HP.

What else...the Safety Jetpack perk is great for combo building as it slows your descent once you're out of bullets to "fly" with, the "Member's Card" ensures you won't miss the shop on your descent as it moves the shop to the beginning of each level, and the Laser Sight is pretty essential for beating the boss, since it increases the range of your shots and allows you to stay a little further away from the boss' fireball-spewing mouth, while still inflicting damage.

Hope this has been helpful, and really hope that the mobile app doesn't turn this post into a single run-on paragraph :D Good luck!

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Good stuff, Quazonk. Thanks for the tips.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #411 ColeDaddy, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Thanks for the helpful feedback Q! I didn't realize I was so close to a clash with the Boss! You got 12 health? Geez...I think the most I goT was 8

12. TreeHouse

TreeHouse Active Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Anyone else get a burn in of the background on the screen after long play sessions (like over an hour or so)?

It's usually at the top left of mine and it had me a bit worried as I had a cheap plasma back in the day that ended up with some hellacious burn in due to gaming sessions.

13. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Naw not me

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Me neither. I got a yellowish section in the screen on my old iPhone 4 where the sim was, which got more yellowish when I played intensive games like Asphalt, but this hasn't happened to me on my 4S.

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Great tips, well put together. Pro stuff^^^^^^^^

16. blakedamon

blakedamon Member

Sep 7, 2014
    #416 blakedamon, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    I'm currently experiencing the slowdown as well. I'm on an iPhone 6s+, 128 gb like some of the others and running 9.1. It usually happens when I take damage, but not always. I agree it is when a lot of action is happening but it certainly isn't intentional. I had the 6+ and upgraded to the 6s+ and I never saw this on the 6+. It's really bad and lingers for a long time. The only way I seem to be able to get rid of it is to go to home screen and back, but that is gettin really old. I find myself playing less and less which sucks.
    Also, no problems running any other games so far.

17. kaizenkoh

kaizenkoh Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 23, 2015
    Chief Evangelist
    Singapore
    Congratz on being the runner-up for this year's GOTY! Really enjoyed this game too.

18. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Yea it's a awesome game

19. EZ Ice

EZ Ice Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Apps
    Tropical Island Pirate Hangout
    Looks like one of those games where you just tap through the levels as the weapons just blast the screen with fx. Is it really fun, or just flashy fally?

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Its fun man.