Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. pimago

pimago Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Odd. Game often says I've unlocked a pallette, yet when I go to the STYLE menu, all I can select is the default option.

Enjoying it so far though, even if I rarely get past the first stage

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Style and pallette are two different things. To change pallette open the menu by pressing the upper part of the screen when waiting at the scene before jumping into the well.

3. pimago

pimago Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ha, well spoken.

5. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, wow, what a piece on Downwell. Intricacies revealed. *****
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/16/9550205/downwell-is-the-best-game-ive-played-in-2015

6. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    So, I went ahead and bought the game.. Wow, I was wrong with my initial pre-purchase impressions .. This is a fun, and super challenging, game.. While it is not of the vein that I usually play, I am quite fond of it, non the less. It is good to break out of, thus expanding, ones ideology from time to time, and this game serves as that reminder for me. I can see myself playing this game a bit each day, trying to go 'just a bit' deeper..

7. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Well I made it to 4-1
    I don't think I'll beat it, considering how lucky I was to even get there.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Devolver hinted at this game coming to PS4 and Vita on twitter the other day. That would make me super happy, having the game with physical controls. I see the potential for sure, but really can't enjoy this game with touchscreen controls. YMMV.

9. poopguy69

poopguy69 Active Member

Nov 14, 2015
    The sale helped me pull the trigger on this one. I'm so glad I did!! What an incredible game! It's very challenging, but the game has a considerable amount of depth for a platformer. Combos are key in the catacombs. This is probably my GOTY right now...

The only thing that bothers me is the portrait orientation. It's a totally understandable choice, but I find it a little too cramped on my iPhone 5s.

10. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    I'd like to play in Portrait mode (mini-2), but it is only in landscape as far as I tell..

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Lol I wish I could play in landscape on my iPhone! Let's swap!

Billy

12. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    Deal!

13. BlingBlang

BlingBlang Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I run into weird low frame rate issues every so often in my runs. I am using an iPhone 6s+. At first I thought the game was slowing down for my benefit so I would die less while on low health but that doesn't seem to happen consistently. Any ideas?

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    iOS version? JB or non-JB? When do slowdowns happen? If it hasn't got to do with the game but with the device, try the standard: close all background apps, reboot device, etc. Nonetheless, some of the slowdowns are on purpose to imitate old 8-bit systems and the slowdowns they suffered when too many things were happening at the same time.

15. poopguy69

poopguy69 Active Member

Nov 14, 2015
    I may be wrong, but I thought the game intentionally drops frames when you take a hit. So not only does it help you escape danger, but it's a nice throwback to the NES era.

16. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013

Mine does the same thing, 128gb 6S Plus

17. BlingBlang

BlingBlang Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I am running 9.1 non jailbreak 6s plus. This seems to happen when more things are happening on the screen. If this is a "feature", we need an option to disable it.

18. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I did it.
    I beat the game.
    With only 1 HP left.
    It may have been on floaty but that's good enough for me.

I'm taking a well deserved break from this for a while :D
    Happy Welling!

19. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Ha, I said about landscape on iPhone about 4 pages back. I'd even give up a bit of screen real estate on the sides.

20. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Congrats man, can't past the water stage.. Shit hits me and I don't have a clue where it comes from lol.. Or I drown ####