Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
  2. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Mine.Finally!

3. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    First thing I bought from this weeks line up.

4. rtificial

rtificial Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    I believe it's iPhone 5 and above. I've been waiting on this for quite awhile and enjoy it. Also lawl @ heart shaped balloon power up.

Time to spam up some 5 star reviews on the App Store #

5. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Bought. Played for thirty minutes and I'm in love.

6. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    There are so many ideas packed into this deceptively simple looking game. Health or battery slots for changing weapons? You'd be a fool not to. One power up that allows you to consume enemies for health? Hey, why not, they're trying to do you in.

Not typically a fan of virtual buttons, but the ones here seem just right on an iPhone 6 Plus.

And the app icon is perfect.

7. CoreyFox

CoreyFox Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Hmm. Ipad mini is not supported.. I know its an older device, but I was thinking - of all games?

8. rtificial

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    Lots of game changers in this. Various guns, random power ups in caves or after you finish a stage. I just unlocked the arm spin man that changed frequency of shops. I've unlocked 2-3 colors already too

Protip: don't touch any enemy that's solid red.

9. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    From the video it seems to look hideous and has the usual mobile one-trick pony gameplay. Looks like a game programmed in BASIC if you guys know what that is.

Too bad nobody makes free demos with a couple levels to try. Three bucks isn't much money but if I don't like it I might as well have thrown the money away. And that would bother me.

Why don't we have any free demos anymore these days? Nobody actually bought the games after trying them out? That doesn't speak to highly of the product then I suppose.

Hmm didn't mean for this to come off quite so negative. Sorry guys

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm loving the artwork and soundtrack, so good! Might tie with Dust for best game this month :D

11. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    FINALLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY!

First future classic since Ridiculous Fishing!

12. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
  13. rtificial

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    I kinda like the look in its spectrum kinda old school style. I unlocked the gameboy pallete and play in monochrome now. There's a virtual boy pallete if that's your thing.

As for one trick pony, it's a balancing act of shooting, platforming and a lil luck. So far I've seen 4-5+ gunboots that change gameplay. Not to mention the various power ups that can change things in your favor. Drones, heated gun shells, exploding corpses, gems causing reloads and more. THEN add 5-6 more style unlocks, that change your look and game mechanics.

The game will be on steam tomorrow, so see if they put a demo up there. Devolver are pretty good about putting demos for all their games. Hell I still have demos for games I bought cause they sometimes make em special.

Oh and last I checked moppin the 1 guy developer of the game. He was in the top 5 on the leader boards.

14. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Really fancy this but the App Store is down in the UK again..... 3rd time in two days now it's very annoying

15. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I frequently have jumps failing to register when I try to start moving and jump at the same time. Is anyone else getting this? I suspect an input bug. (iPhone6)

Aside from that frustration, the game is super good.

16. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Bought the game, I love it. Hard to play, easy to learn yet complex enough to stay interesting for a while.
    I just wish I could relocate the controls to the top of the screen, as it seems kind of bad to be obscuring a very important part of the screen (the one you're moving towards all the time...) with your thumbs.

The game feels really good, the jumping and shooting mechanics feel extremely satisfying. Movement took a match or two to get used to (it takes a short moment to accelerate) but it's not bad by any means. Powerups are pretty fun and I've never been in a situation where I was disappointed with what I could pick.

17. bearcav

bearcav Member

Oct 17, 2013
    #37 bearcav, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Seeing it in action at 60fps is pretty great, though. The art style may not be your thing, but it moves really well and it has a great "feel" to it thanks to some of Ojiro's game design decisions and Joonas Turner's contributions on sound design. It's very kinetic, hard to describe.

About it being one-trick pony gameplay... The mechanics are simple, but like a great arcade game, Downwell makes maximal use of those mechanics and demands split-second decisions.

Trust me on this one, this isn't your average throwaway game on mobile. It's in the top tier of indie games in general, whether you're on PC or a phone.

18. rtificial

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    If it helps any, you can turn on the virtual controls in the view. It was blocking my view also.

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Does anyone know if this has an ending?

20. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    ThatÂ’s actually my question
    The furthest I go is 1-3
    Is there any endgame? Or is it an endless thing?
    Loving this only got 15 minutes to play this today
    Totally will be a classic hope it will be a success