Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I bought this game because of the hype and like I though I didn't like it. It has no depth.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It has tons of depth, and one of the best releases of the year on both mobile and PC.

3. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    *rimshot*

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Yup, no denying, it's an awesome game. Great game period.

5. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    #365 Duivs, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    I'm not entering the debate on how good the game is, but I do wish there was something other than skill that carried over to the next session besides experience, which doesn't do a great deal except unlock new palettes and characters as far as I'm aware.

One thing I have noticed is that I sometimes feel cheated out of a life. Unlike wayward souls I feel entirely responsible for my death but in this I can't help but feel like I shouldn't have been hit from the angle I jumped on an enemy or that the game is unfair. Maybe I'm just a noob, who knows.

6. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    #366 SimonMagus, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    We hear over and over.. 'it's a great game - period', but never much detail to back that up.. I am not disputing its greatness, nor am I in agreement.. What I am curious about, is what are some of the games that you fans are drawn to outside of this release?

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Spelunky. Catacomb Kids, Towerclimb, Dandy, Magicite, Enter the Gungeon. The list goes on. There are many amazing action rogue-lites out there right now.

8. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Bottom line, it's a fun lil .99$ game. What more do you want. Take it or leave it but certainly not perfect and certainly not worth quibbling over for a single second. K

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's actually really deep. Like, multiple floors deep, with bosses every few floors. :D

10. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    The games I have mostly been playing alongside this -

Binding of Isaac. Rogue Legacy. Dark Souls 2. Bloodborne. Fallout 4. Spelunky. The last of us. MGSV. Risk of Rain.

There are few mobile games that entertain me these days like my steam and PS4 games.

Downwell is one of the very few that has

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The people who are saying they don't get the hype or it lacks depth, I felt the same way initially. It seemed cool but I didn't understand what I was supposed to be doing, and didn't really feel like I had any control. Then I read this on Polygon: http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/16/9550205/downwell-is-the-best-game-ive-played-in-2015 and once I took the time to understand the combo system the game completely opened up for me. Since then it's become one of my favorite games of all time, on any platform.

If you only put 5 minutes into playing this game and instantly dismissed it as lacking depth or just being overhyped, you're doing the game, yourself, and anybody who reads your impressions a huge disservice.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This post x1000.

13. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    This is just one of those games I accept isnt for me. It was about 10min of fun then I knew it was just too frustrating to bother to keep playing. People also said super hexagon was the greatest game in the world and that thing is fun for about 5 seconds then becomes like kicking myself in the nuts. Im an old school nintendo player too and have played plenty of tough games. i feel like I fall for a bit, get hit 4 times and im dead. Repeat. Dont get anywhere.

I can see how people like it, but its just not for me. I felt the same about Wayward souls, just didnt like it and it wasnt fun whereas I absolutely LOVED mage gauntlet.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Again, like Jared said above: You can't judge the game based on the first few minutes. It really opens up once you've unlocked the different styles, get used to the one that suits you most and you find yourself getting farther and farther. To each his own though, I'm not here to convince anyone.

15. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    I think im just infected with the entitled gamer handholding virus.

16. Water

Water Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Game Dev
    Japan
    coffee break

;)
    You like coffee, I like tea.
    That's all and that's nice.

17. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I wonder if the developer is millionaire yet. With all the popularity (and probable sales figures) of Downwell he should be and if not, there is a problem with the game development industry.

18. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Nah, if he wanted money he should have made the game free but implemented expensive premium currency you use to continue when you die.

19. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    My only issue with this game is that I suck at it and can't get past the catacombs. I would love a level randomization each time you play so those like me could still experience the rest of it. I don't seem to get any better at it no matter which style or perks I choose.
    I heard a rumor that the dev was going to add a palette editor. That would be so cool.

20. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I picked this game up yesterday. I saw this game at launch but I wasn't sure with it so I never bought it. But WOW! I totally misjudged this gem. I'm in love now..