Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. fernandocolombo

fernandocolombo New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Very sad...

Please, don't make the game overwrite the itunes sound. I know that you guys make awesome soundtracks and sound effects but please dont forget that this is a mobile game, let the player choose what to listen.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Not a surprise, but this plays in super slo-mo on an iPad 2

3. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

Optimized mode made me feel like a loser :( I played the game in full speed and I suddenly realized I'm not pro in this anymore :( on the other hand I can enjoy the real game now :D

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #344 VirtualBoyFreak, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    That's what I thought. The iPad 3 is capable of playing the optimized version perfectly, but not on lower devices. Therefore, minimum specs are iPhone 4S and iPad 3. I still wonder if on a 4S the boss battle will suffer a lot of slowdowns. When (if) I get there I'll let you know :p

LOL :D Whenever you suffer the "I'm lame at this" feeling, you can always swap to slo-mo and be a ppppprrrrrrooooooo again :D

5. RockyRoooster

RockyRoooster Active Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Independent developer
    LA
    awesome

I enjoy this game a lot.
    However, I want to see more weapons, the current ones are just not enough.
    Be better!

6. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Anyone have suggestions for level four. Those timers are killing me.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Any chance for mid game save? I find myself playing a level waiting on the elevator at work and when I go back to it later I am at the surface.

8. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Level 4 timers? There are only timers in level 3. You just have to descend quickly and not miss any blue clamshells. And once you hit the clamshells make sure not to miss any of the air bubbles that come out of them. Same with the side-caves that have gun power-ups and ruby stashes, they often have blue clamshells in them too. Just a matter of descending fairly quickly, there's no real "trick" to it.

9. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
  10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    99 cent sale. It's well worth the 3€ I paid for it, so for a buck it's a steal.

11. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    So, the game's $1 on here and $2 on Steam. Any opinions on which version plays better? Thanks!

12. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Could someone actually tell me what happens in this game? It looks like the aim is to get as low as possible without dying? Do you need to do it fast?

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don't know about Steam, but this one works amazingly great both on my 4S and iPad 3.

In very few words: 4 worlds, 3 stages per world, go through the 12 levels making as many 25-combos as possible and kill the big bad boss, and something good will happen ;)

14. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I trust the game will be good. Buying!

Now forgive me, but I wasn't sure of what I was looking at when I saw the icon...I initially saw a neutral-faced banana with two arms and a leg, but now I realise the feet are just big :eek:

15. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    extremely addicting game. i only wish 2handed protrait mode wasn't so uncomfortable for my hands...

16. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Okay I seriously need some tips because I'm getting my butt handed to me.
    The game is so faaast!

17. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is not fun for me.
    I've seen so much hype but I guess it's not for everyone .

18. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    #358 SimonMagus, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    I can not bring myself to buy this game even for a buck while its on sale right now.. As many times as I have watched gameplay footage, it just looks like elephant dung to me.. Everyone has different tastes. I lean more towards slower methodical gameplay like Sproggiwood, Templar Battleforce, ect.. But you are correct, the hype is difficult to overlook sometimes.

I will mention, that I currently game on a tablet. If I were on a phone, I would probably feel differently about this game. It's quick/twitchy mechanics combined with the portability of a smaller device would likely make for some fun spontaneous gameplay.

Edited : I was wrong with my first impression, this is a fun game.. In a blink, I lost an hour of my life directly after download, and will definitely be playing it a lot more..

19. I bought it for a buck, played 5 minutes and haven't gone back to it. I guess I should be glad I didn't waste more than that on it. I had a pretty good idea it wasn't for me, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Agreed, 2 handed portrait on iPhone is uncomfortable and is quickly tiresome. Needs portrait on iPhone. Sucks bc it's a dope game rlly.

Edit: Rlly wouldn't mind losing a bit of screen real estate on both sides of my 6s+ for portrait option.