Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    update is out. this game is masterpiece.

2. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Please add landscape mode to iPhone. It would be great on a 6 plus. I find it unplayable on iPhone

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    This!

I keep begging. Please dev. I was hoping so much that the update would allow me to play in landscape. My hands are so cramped on the IPhone 5s. I absolutely love this game. Please allow landscape orientation!

Billy

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #324 VirtualBoyFreak, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Reinstalling on my iPad3 to see if I can play normally using optimized mode. A huge thank you in any case to the dev for making the effort of getting it to work on old iPads. EDIT: it works AMAZING, Thanks! @Dev: what did you do in the end? Load the iPhone version with iPad buttons? I notice the interface puts the lives and such on the top part of the gaming screen when using optimized mode. A very smart move IMO. I'm glad my hacking to run the iPhone version in the iPad helped in the end :) back to playing now :D

5. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    optimized mode works (kinda) on ipad 2 as well. you get the higher speeds, but with the trade-off of frequent lags. ultimately, i think i prefer lags to slo-mo mode, which is intolerably slow after playing for a bit at real speeds on a pc.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The game loses its charm when played in slo-mo. Sure, it's ultra easy that way and it helps you to know what to expect in each level, but with true speed (or at least near-true speed) it's the only way to really enjoy the game.

7. radicalnetwork

radicalnetwork New Member

Nov 5, 2015
    I never posted here but i made an account just to say thank you to Moppin for the update, now the game plays nicely on my iPad Mini, i have Downwell on Steam too but i've been wanting a portable version since release day! Keep up the great work! :)

8. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @Moppin Now that you got it working on iPad 3, may I suggest you update the description with something like this?

Minimum devices: iPhone 4S/iPad 3 (2?)
    Recommended devices: iPhone 5+/iPad Air+
    Will run slower on older devices.

Sales would benefit from this description... At least I think so.

9. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    I was about to buy it after reading VirtualBoyFreak's feedback in his iPad 3 but waited for a bit to see if there are people who tried it on iPad 2. Thanks for the impressions!

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Anyone else think the game could use a fullscreen, portrait mode on ipads?

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    This would be fantastic for those who play with MFI controllers, as well as a landscape version for iPhones for those who only have an iPhone to play it in and don't like having the fingers on the playing zone.

Unfortunately the game is probably loading a game screen with a set resolution/screen size for each device/situation. You have three basic possibilities:

- iPhone game.
    - Normal iPad game.
    - Optimized iPad game for old iPads (i.e. iPhone game with iPad buttons. Check page 19 in this thread to see what I'm talking about).

For an iPad portrait mode and an iPhone landscape mode, the dev would have to develop/configure each of the new situations.

Possibly an iPad portrait mode would be easier, because it could just be the iPhone version at x2 size. When I tested the iPhone version on the iPad (again, page 19 in this thread) to see its performance on my iPad 3, the screen size of the iPhone version x2 occupied more or less all the screen. I posted some screenshots, so you can open them on an iPad and see how it could look like.

The iPhone landscape mode is more problematic IMO, because Moppin would have to not only develop the new gaming screen size, but also the button interface for each of the different screen sizes (from 4S to 6+).

On a side note, I'd like autorotation to put the iPad the other way around.

12. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Awesome! Now, to get back to it...

13. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    21 skins and counting! Has anyone completed the palette?

14. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Loving the Optimization for older iPads. Now I'm finally playing the game properly and getting good too. Pretty cool game for sure

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've read somewhere that it stops at 500,000 crystals collected.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin

Moppin should really do this! It's perfectly playable on those devices. Not always like butter, still endlessly enjoyable. Would help for sales.

17. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    Hrm...

That's great that older iPad's can play the game the way it's intended to be played. I was excited for the update, trying to hope for the best. However, nothing seems to have changed for my iPod Touch 5, same slo-mo as always. I was hoping the optimize option would be in the options menu for every device, but for me it's not. I presume that's where it's located for you iPad users? Anyway, if the devs see this, I know us iPod touch users aren't exactly the majority of the market, but it would be so great if I could play this game again. Because after finding out that I've been in slo-mo, I just can't enjoy it anymore.

18. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The optimized option is in the options menu, but only on my iPad, not on my 4S. My guess is that after I got the iPhone version running on my iPad 3 with some glitches (no life bar, etc.), Moppin tweaked the game so that on older iPad devices the iPhone version with iPad buttons could be loaded, instead of loading the native iPad version, which must be more resource-demanding. This way people with older iPads as myself could get to play the game at the speed at which it was intended, albeit with a light interface regarding the life bar, shooting bar, etc.

The problem with your iPod touch 5 is possibly that it's already loading the "optimized" version, which is the iPhone version, so it can't load an "even more optimized" version simply because that version doesn't exist.

19. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    Ah, ok, that would make sense, I just knew an optimized version had come out and that the update didn't change anything for me. I guess I figured if it could be optimized on one "older" (bought my 64gb ipod new a year and a half ago) device, why not another? Alas, I'll probably never get to play at full speed, unless I buy a computer :-(

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Talking about autorotation, I've just discovered that the game's orientation depends on how you have the iPad set when you run the game. It doesn't autorotate per se, but it respects the orientation at which the iPad is held, which is enough for me.