Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Anyone know what the level cap is? I think I'm at 100000-something and the next level is 110000. I have 23 or 24 palettes unlocked. Just wondering, since I sometimes forgo spending gems at the shop in hopes of reaching the next level sooner. Completionist. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I also wonder this, but you can spend gems without problem. After you die, the account of gems is for all those obtained during that playthrough, it doesn't matter if you spent them or not. I once got 2k gems in the counter, even though I had only 100 left when I died.

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Oh, never realized that. Thanks for the great info!

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Me neither. I've never used a shop yet as a result!

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    That boss level! Holy....

6. ion677

ion677 Member

Aug 28, 2012
    New palettes stop at 500,000. Beat the game for the first time at around 400,000

7. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    Hrm

I wonder how many players are like I was and play with it slowed down, without realizing it. I didn't know my iPod touch 5 was running the game laggy until I watched a YouTube video of some Downwell in action. Now, even though I've made it to the boss on normal, have 25 palettes, and would love to see hard mode, I just can't enjoy the game like I did that first week and a half, knowing that I'm not playing at full speed. I wish there was a solution besides "get a faster device". I tried all the tips for speeding up my iPod, but it didn't make one iota of difference as far as Downwell is concerned. Ah well, maybe someday I'll get to play it the way it's meant to be played...

8. David1886

David1886 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    So much fun and style! Great game!

9. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    To be honest, I have completed it on normal mode on my iPad and iPhone and have made it to the boss on hard mode.

My iPhone 5s lags like crazy, my iPad plays perfectly no lag.

I actually find it easier playing with zero lag. The slowdown makes things unpredictable and often leads to unnecessary deaths for me.

So, in fact don't be hard on yourself. You are playin it in a harder way if you ask me! (And I know what I'm on about, I'm ranked #83 in the world haha!)

10. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    This is completely untrue that the game is easier when played normally. When playing on an older device in "solo-mo" I can easily do 100x combos and clear the game. Meanwhile, I can't even make it to the third world on my new device, or do a combo over 10x.
    So...just... no....

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    The progression curve is amazing. Needed forever to reach the boss for the first time. Since that moment I'm breezing through to him every single time, weird and amazing at the same time.

Now I only need to finally kill him. I'm close.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Fully agree. I played on my iPad 3 to the end on the first run. I can't get past 3-1 on my iPhone 4S even though I've tried a lot. On slo-mo I made 25 combos over and over, ended the game having 11 lives... It's much easier in slo-mo that in real speed (and I'm not 100% sure on the 4S it's always real speed or some slowdowns are due to the device.)

13. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Are you playing on phone or tablet? I really wish I was good at this game, but I think playing on the phone is making it difficult.

14. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    I'm playing on iphone 6 plusand qhat he said is true
    Firstine played i only got like 1-3
    After few tries i got to 2-2
    And now i'm constantly can reach 3-1/3-2
    I still suck at it but everytime we play subconsciously we gain some skills to play better
    Now on the caves i easily make 20 combos

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Any news on an update planned?

16. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    first one was submitted already, according to the developer twitter.
    just bug fixes, i think.

17. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Cool thnx

18. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I was hoping so much for landscape on the iPhone. Argh. :(

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    From what I understand, the iPhone and iPad versions are different, i.e. They are 2 different game versions in one app.

I told the dev to see if he can get the iPhone version (which is faster) running on the iPad, and he was going to check it to try and get the game running on old devices, but I'm not sure if it's possible or not.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I want to see a portrait option for ipads, especially since this game has a well implemented MFi controller support. Using an MFi controller the spaces on either side with the virtual buttons are just real estate made useless.