Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Coming from the NEW generation I love seeing people bounce because its too hard. Good thing you didn't exist in our day. Every game was like this. Fantastic game

2. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    and sometimes it's literally difficult to stop. like in limbo when there are only a few surfaces to land on to break combos. one trick i've discovered: if you enter a bubble that seems to occupy the entire ledge, if you keep inching towards the edge, you'll eventually be clear enough of the bubble to trigger the combo bonus.

curious if there's anyone else out there who's found a (non-ego) benefit to combos above 25.

3. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    #263 onebigdoor, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    also want to note i'm on an iPad 2, and it seems to work perfectly. the only issue is that I lose progress if I switch apps.

edit: hahaha! i just watched a gameplay vid, and i guess i've been playing "slo-mo" mode without realizing it. no wonder i've almost beat it on hard mode. well, fwiw, it's super fun slowed down, too, so if you have an older iPad, i'd still grab it.

4. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    I got to the boss once, three little attack phases and then on the fourth he started moving really far down and then he stopped, we fought again and I died. Would you say I was about halfway? Also, I can't even imagine trying to do it with anything but a laser.

And yeah, the knowledge of my slo-mo has tainted my enjoyment somewhat, but like you said, it's still fun and a challenge. A bit of a blow to the ego though, I kept seeing things like "Been playing a few days, haven't made it past 2-1" and I was thinking "Really? Amateurs.". Sigh.

5. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Haha that's pretty funny ;)
    Maybe there should be an easy mode that slows the game down but doesn't allow for leader boards. Would be good practice maybe. Or maybe it would just make the regular game seem impossible.

6. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    ha! had same thought about the amateurs. here's some info on the boss battle:

he keeps going down and down as you do damage on him. he'll eventually go through all 4 stages of backgrounds and enemy types. so at the beginning you'll be fighting altered versions of the first world, then the second. eventually, you go into water with him, and finally you go through an altered limbo with all the junk and blobs and stuff. so you can use the background and enemy changes to gauge how far through the battle you are.

7. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    Wow

Holy crap that's crazy. I can't even imagine doing the boss on hard mode. Well, it's still gonna be a hell of a challenge, I'll just measure myself against fellow slo-downwellers on ye olde leaderboards. One of the screenshots on the official webpage shows a big blobby one eyed, like a white Mike from Monsters Inc. Do they introduce previously unseen baddies in hard mode? Ever since i found out that worms can't hurt you yesterday, I've been wondering what other hidden things I haven't found.

8. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    some hard mode info (having only done one run so far):

there are new enemy types in hard mode, but for the most part it's just more. it actually makes big combos easier, but it's harder in general to not get hit. stuff in stores is more expensive. on the aqua level, you don't have to pop things to get bubbles, they're just sorta floating about.

i certainly agree that the slower rate of the old hard mode would make a great "easy mode" for folks with modern devices. it's still super fun and challenging.

9. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Oh...so that's why i stuck in 2-3 and people already finished the game...
    I thought i really suck at this
    So whats the deal with the slowdown?
    Older device?

10. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    Well, that's what funny, is my iPod Touch 5 (64gb) handles 3d graphics and other games perfectly smoothly, so it's kind of odd that a 4-bit game would require so much. I don't know much about programming, but I think it has something to do with the way various Apple devices handle certain processes. This is me being technical and informed. I obviously know what I'm talking about.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The furthest I've made it is 2-2 (on iPhone 6).

12. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Just got WR on steam ! With a 490 combo =] highlight will be on my stream page tomorrow and YouTube soon. (Esty8nine) pretty excited took me a lot of hours.

13. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=273202][​IMG][/thread] [thread=273258][​IMG][/thread] [thread=273257][​IMG][/thread] [thread=273195][​IMG][/thread] [thread=273197][​IMG][/thread] [thread=273242][​IMG][/thread] [thread=273200][​IMG][/thread]

Downwell

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

Oct 15, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

14. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Hints, tips, and tricks direct from developer Ojiro:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Downwell/feature.asp?c=68027

15. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    better than me with greyscale unlocked lol

16. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    finally made it to 3-1 i think the floaty style is very good for making combos and you'll get more gems, and more health items can be bought at the shop...

17. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Why timers on level four. That shit is brutal on its own

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Because if you don't breathe, you drown :D

19. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Sweet! I must be an advanced player as my fave style was always arm swing :p

Btw, did anyone else know you can wall jump! Did it by accident! If you jump into a wall then press the opposite direction and jump you wall jump up! Not found it that useful, but still pretty neat!

20. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    the wall jump will be usefull to reach some high ledges you can not reach by normal jump, like that ledge leading to weapon if you accidentally missed it, but you gonna had to have full charge