Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Finally beat the damn boss!!! Had one life left and was basically shooting my lazer like a blind mad man when the bugger finally went down!

Don't know if my heart can handle hard mode after that!!!

2. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    There's also bosses ? At which level ?
    OMG this game is hard but very addictive !

3. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Ive been absolutely loving this over the weekend. All the different unlockable colour pallets are a brilliant feature :D
    Fantastic game and would recommend to anyone who grew up playing games in the 80's as the retro'ness of it is pure nostalgia.

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Really? Seems odd that would be a gun pickup but I guess getting back to default is the only way. I'm really loving the Mars palette more than Grandma now.

5. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I can't get past 2-1, so I guess that means I kinda suck...but I'm loving it. I wish there was a way to keep the corpse eater powerup forever. This is my go to toilet game right now. I'm not crazy about the art...I love pixel art but prefer it to be at least 32bit, I guess. More detail would be appreciated, but it's not a deal breaker with this game. I really can't play with any of the monotone color palettes though, I kinda hate them. Not a deal breaker though.

Grandma, and the original are my favorite so far. But I haven't gotten past grandma yet, I'll be happy if there's some that use more than 3 colors.

That little turtle is my buddy.

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Those turtles and the fact that you can destroy blocks with your head must be nods to Mario!

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Pastel is my favorite so far, reminds me of the original Super Mario Bros.

8. wigzisonfire

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    There are 4 levels and then level 5 is a mental boss that basically is like going through the 4 levels again on crack.

When you beat him it unlocks hard mode. Which is damn hard!!!!

9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    can't stop playing, but can't get past 2-2 and don't even get there on a regular basis. The "floaty" style helps but this is hard.

10. wigzisonfire

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    The best style by far for me is the arm spin style. After a few levels you will have more health and gun charge than you know what to do with!

11. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Well, thanks for your answer. i like challenges !

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The boss is not a challenge, it's an insta-death. I lost 6 lives on the iPad 3 when playing at a snail-slow pace, so go imagine on a full speed device...

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the tip

14. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #254 Montanx, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Ok had some time to play this. I mean, I get it, but all I do is fall for a couple levels then die. The action is too fast sometimes to really know where I'm going so I take a hit every once in awhile. You take 4 hits and your dead, starting over from the beginning? Kind of a bummer. Not really sure how people are beating all kinds of stages when you can't really gain back hits too often.

I play, It's pretty fun, then I die. 10 or so runs later ok I got to level 1-3, then died again. Start over? Not really any point, there's no progression or anything. I guess 3 bucks for an hour or so of fun is fine but that's pretty much the game for me. No motivation to play, I'm just gonna die and have to start over. Donno.

I guess this is for the super hexagon crowd who loved that game but I couldn't stand it.

15. Water

Water Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Game Dev
    Japan
    I gave a try and

This game is for noble hardcore action gamers.
    Not for me:D
    NES style,literally.

16. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    i generally dislike twitchy games, especially on mobile. but this one just feels so good. i don't think you have be particularly hardcore to enjoy it. it takes a couple games to decode the things going on. bounce on white. shoot at red. get combos.

what are you guys using for a combo strategy? i've been trying to break combos as soon as they reach 25 so i get all the bonuses as often as possible. i tried for a large combo, and over 100 seemed to give the same rewards. i'm curious if anyone has gotten crazy combos that possibly give better rewards.

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm using the lighter hitting weapons, and jet pack if you get lucky.

18. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    Hello everyone

Hi guys, just made an account. So I've been playing since it came out last week on my iPod Touch 5. One of the App Store reviews I read before deciding to buy mentioned that the game basically had so much old school spirit that it even simulated that old school NES-style slowdown when too many sprites were on screen. So I thoguht nothing of said slowdowns until I finally watched somebody else play on YouTube today and it seemed that they stayed at 60fps the whole time.

I'm curious, is anybody else playing on the same device and have you encountered anything similar? It's not always slow, like I've read iPad 3's or whatever are, it's only after I bounce off enemies and there's a bunch of stuff on screen, but then when I'm falling and such it's totally fast.

I've been loving the game, made it to the boss for the first time today, but now my experience is just a little darkened by thinking I'm not playing at the true breakneck nonstop pace the game is supposed to be, that I'm sort of accidentally cheating. Similar experiences or thoughts?

Oh, one last thing, I found an intereesting new trick today, if you run into a shuffling worm guy in the first world, instead of taking a life, it bounces you up on him. It's a sometimes useful way to start a combo.

19. Loopuze

Loopuze Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Substitute Assasin
    Oregon
    I've started doing the "landing right at or just past 25" thing too to maximize my stats. Although, sometimes it's hard to stop, even though it's not beneficial. It's that damn ego!

20. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

There is progressions in the style you can choose and you can upgrade your health and ammunition as you play longer sessions!