Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    How did you get that high of a combo? Very nice.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Just a quick tip regarding controls: even though the controls appear on screen separated a few mm from the bottom part of the screen, the tactile input is configured to the very end of the screen. What I do on my 4S is turn off showing the buttons and mentally divide the bottom part of the screen in 3. It works great!

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for that, Freak, and your absolutely right, but to make them invisible was my first move after checking the options, lol.
    In the end, i guess pretty much most players have seen, played and feel this control design when played in portrait mode.

But still (and i'm even on a bigger 5s screen), in the heat of the game plus the crampy holding, it wouldn't hurt to have those extra mm.
    Btw, i jump/shoot with my index finger and not with my right thumb, never.

No missunderstanding folks, i play the crap out of this gem until my left thumb is ready to fall off after each session, since release.
    Just reached 2-3 for the first time :eek: instead of "rocking" the top 1% of the leaderboard...

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I play with Levitation Style (falling slower) and then just a good mix of only landing on enemies, destructable objects (doesn't count as well) and entrance bubbles while maintaining a free path with your bullets. It's sooooo much fun.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #225 crunc, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    I really like this game, but the controls are still frustrating for me. Periodically I tap to go right and I go left or vice versa. And in general there's this vague feeling to the controls, for lack of a better way to describe it. For me it's a trait of touch-screen digital controls, not a flaw specific to this game. If we can't get this on Vita or PS4, then how about controller support? I might pick up a controller for my iPhone 6 if it has that or is going to get it, because it is an addicting little game.

EDIT: going back a few pages I see this game already has controller support? I guess I need to research controllers for the iPhone 6. Though I'd still like to see this on Vita/PS4 too.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Any plans for iCloud support? Feel it's a real nice features for games the feature progressive unlocks for game play.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    After looking at the available iPhone controllers, I think I'll keep hoping this comes to Vita. Would be a nice fit with that platform.

8. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    #228 J.R. Jalapeno, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Thanks! I didn't unlock that style yet. Time to get busy#. Also. FYI. PayPal digital cards is offering 20%off iTunes. Just got 25 dollar card for 20.

9. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Just made a video made it thru the game (landing once by accident) and had a 421 combo I believe it was. If you guys are interested I'll get ya a link to video =] so hype

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #230 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    421 combo?!?!?! WTF!!!! Amazing! EDIT: Can't find you in the leaderboards. You'd be number 1 prior to hacked scores. Why not upload it?

11. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    The score is on steam leaderboards =] iOS high score coming soon!

12. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    Does anyone have a list of the rewards for combos? Right now it seems to me like I should usually go for 25, which is when you get 1HP, 1Energy and 100 credits. However I seem to remember getting 2 of each from an insane combo at some point, so maybe I'm wrong.

13. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    I think I'm safe to confirm that there is nothing higher then the 25 haha

14. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Does anyone know how to use the fork and knife power up ? I'm lost

15. collasta

collasta Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2014
    When an enemy dies they turn white and lay down. Land on that sprite and you might eat them and get 1 hp.

16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Certain enemies leave a faint corpse behind when you kill them. If you collect enough, you will gain one HP. They disappear pretty quick though so you gotta be fast about it. You'll know it worked when it says "OMNOMNOM" on the screen.

17. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks!!

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Okay I'm starting to get the hang of combos now - Levitation mode + default pistol or Nobby/Machine Gun + Jet Pack will help. I've only reached 20 but with practice it's getting easier. The cavern is the easiest world to build up combos as most of the falls are predictable (except for 1-3 where you run into a lot of walled off falls). Only tips I can think of are to not completely shoot through floating blobs when you see them. A couple of shots to knock them downward and then a stomp will give you some good momentum, as well as reload your boots at the same time. I love the laser for progression but that and the shotgun or punchy kill enemies and shoot through blocks too easily ending any combo momentum. And I would love to see a screenshot of that 421 combo or some video.

IMG_7755.jpg

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I see. I'm SO tempted to pick this up on Steam... I bet keyboard controls are a winner here.

20. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

The starting weapon is actually the machine gun ;)