Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I second this. The scenery is soooo beautiful! This as a sidescrolling platform game and you are my GOTY 2016 hope :D

2. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #202 Montanx, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    So is there any plan to make this work on IPad Mini 4? The controls are in iPhone mode and not off to the sides like IPad should be.

Edit: Ok I see he's aware of the problem and should update. I'd prioritize this, IPad mini is the best platform in mobile gaming.

3. mc355

mc355 New Member

Jan 23, 2015
    I have to agree with everyone. Was hesitant to get the game but after so many positive reviews, I got it and so glad I did.

This isn't one of those "throw away" games on iOS, that you download, play a lot for a few days and then forget about it (I'm looking at you Horizon Chase!!)

Anyways love opening new palettes and play modes. My favorite palette so far is the Gameboy one. Talk about nostalgia!

4. collasta

collasta Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2014
    What is everyone's favorite gun and why is it the nopy? I love the ammo, recoil, and ability to wreck with exploding blocks. Also, what the heck is a noppy?

5. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Wish there wasn't timers on the third and fourth levels

6. pizzapoke

pizzapoke Member

Jan 17, 2013
    How does this work on iPhone 6? Looks like things could get a little hectic.

7. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Been playing on my mini 2 with the Mad Catz CTRLi for a good 3 hours straight. Had no idea there was MFi support until moppin_ mentioned it earlier. He really didn't miss a trick here! I've unlocked up to the "Winter" palette (#20). Also managed a 36 hit combo. Huzzah!

Learned a lot of little tips watching Carter's Mobcrush stream last night. I suggest you guys check it out (He's even wearing that awesome Maglor shirt). He was really killing it!

My most despised enemies are the red eyeball, the floating red blob thing, and those stupid frogs! :D

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Favorite gun is the laser with knife & fork, and rocket boots upgrades.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #209 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 19, 2015
    I guess "some people" = me (at least the only one who has admitted it on a post several pages back :p) Even though I beat it on the iPad 3 using the slow down exploit, my playing device is the iPhone 4S. I did that only once because I wanted to see the whole game and what I was missing due to my lack of ability with platform games.

On the 4S I usually get to level 2-2 or 2-3 maximum before getting killed. I got to 3-1 once, but of course I'll continue trying to beat it on the 4S, since it's the enjoyable way. Doing it on the iPad 3 is very boring, although in my case it gave me experience on making combos. Now, on the 4S I usually reach 10-12 combos before touching a platform. Before the iPad 3 playthrough I got 3-5 combo chains.

In any case, thanks to the iPad 3 playthrough I know what to expect, and for me it's going to be nearly impossible to beat, specially with the ability needed on level 4 and boss level. That fight reminded me a whole lot to the final boss fight of
    Super Contra/Super Probotector on the SNES when played on the hardest level. In fact, I'd say that the basic idea in Downwell of going through a vertical tunnel killing an enormously big and ugly monster below you could have come from this game.

I read somewhere that not even the dev knows what a Noppy is. It was in an interview they made him, I think... In any case, my favourite weapon is the Noppy or the Triple Shot.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    A Noppy is a type of sandal with small rubber bead/knobs intended to improve blood circulation in the feet. Maybe the high rate of fire has some sort of correlation to the small beads. It being a type of shoe has a relation in any regard.

[​IMG]

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks!

12. Sheo

Sheo Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Russia
    This little game is such a great fun! You can literally "feel" the game, "feel" every single action of your character. Absence of that feeling is what put me off from the Dust for example. It is a joy to play on air 2 but feels uncomfortable to play on iphone because it all looks tiny.
    As for ipad version I would like to play it in portrait mode just because I like to hold it in my hands in this way but not at full screen like on iphone. Looking to the future content updates

13. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Downwell is definitely in my top ten of 2015!
    This game is just fun & very addictive.
    And it shows that you don't need hyper realistic graphics or a big production value to make a good game.
    I tried the iPhone version but I prefer to play it on my iPad.
    Keep up the good work!

14. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Purchased on iPhone 6. The controls are very responsive and I don't have an issue with the size of the screen.

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Hey moppin, wellcome to TA!

Thanks for beeing with us, and thanks for such an addictive (very close to) perfect game!

(iphone 5s talking)
    Have you thought about the possibility to cut off the life/gem counter and therefor have these 10 mm needed for the thumbs to not obscure the screen on the bottom? You know, slide the screen up a bit.
    To see your lives/gems, simply pause the game, or when you're in a shop, it automatically shows up for you to know what to buy (more lives etc.)

Landscape
    Of course i wouldn't mind to try out this option, but i very much doubt it to enjoy this little screen/enemies. But if you do so, please give us the option to customize all the buttons in size, place and visibility by ourselves. Oh, and screen orientation is a must have.

I'm still very, very far away from beating this hard game ever (2-2 my best, ouch), but i'll keep on playing every free minute possible.

Big ouch, so am i, still.

The wall-jump needs a bit of exercise to trigger the exact momentum, imho.
    Ok, you're doing a normal jump to the right sided wall. The right direction button is still pushed, you hit the wall, and with a pretty much simultanious sliding from right to left AND pushing the jump button again you'll join the jumpers club (or vice versa of course). Definitely a very wellcome move if you should have missed a store or to gain some height again...Got it?

The health bar.
    Let's say you had 4/4 lives and an empty bar below. Now you reach a cave with a new gun plus 2HP. You still have 4/4 lives but a half full bar below. Now you reach the levels' end and you're taking the 4HP reward. Now it adds 2HP to the bar, that makes it full and gives you one permanent life to make it 5/5 (for this run only), and the other 2HP would go into the bar again. You'd have 2/4 again. Go to the next store and buy 1HP, and your bar shows 3/4...and so on.
    Was it that you were looking for?
    (Someone correct me please if wrong)

16. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Guide to Weapons & Upgrades?

Still no clue what a bunch of these things do. Has anyone compiled a list yet?

Thanks!

17. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Great game but still a little bugs : on my device (iphone 6 with ios 9) music don't play from times on times.. Am I the only one with this problem ?

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #218 JCho133, Oct 19, 2015
    How exactly does the combo system work?

Nvm, I've got the hang of it.

What's the 4th Style, and how do you unlock it? I have Boulder, Levitate, and Arm Spin

19. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I suck at combos something awful. Getting rusty in my old age. My highest is 6.

20. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I think u have em to keep jumping on bad dudes without hitting a platform.