Universal Downwell (by Devolver Digital) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2015 Runner-Up]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Oct 15, 2015.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #181 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    So there we go, the iPhone version running on the iPad 3. Sure, buttons are more uncomfortable there than on the true iPad version, and it's missing the life line because it wasn't intended to run like this on the iPad, but at least it plays fantastic. @Dev: those who don't have alternative would possibly prefer to get to play like this rather than not play at all. Isn't it possible to load iPhone tiles and engine for the iPad 4 and below? Maybe by giving a hi-low res option at the beginning... Just thinking out loud and looking for an alternative.

For those who want to do this and run the iPhone version on the iPad, you have to edit the info.plist in the game's installed directory, and find the lines of UIDeviceFamily. There are two lines with values 1 and 2. Remove the line with the 2. Save the edited info.plist and reboot the device. It should then force-load the iPhone version.

I'm Jailbroken and I used iFile to edit info.plist. I'm not sure if non-JB devices can access info.plist.

In any case, I wanted to demonstrate that owners of old iPads as me have an alternative to play this fantastic game.

Attached Files:

2. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

#182 Puke Aces, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Amazing! But I believe you may be mistaken about one thing, the iPad mini can run it, smoothly too! It's just slightly slower paced than running It on newer devices! Another thing is that I found out that some palettes ( 1 bit and Bokuju) can actually speed up the game so please don't lose hope on older devices ;)

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Moppin, maybe an option that can be explored for non-Air iPads?

4. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    How are the controls on iPhone vs PC and iPad? Would gamepad players have a distinct advantage?

5. Riversub

Riversub Member

Nov 17, 2013
    I'm terrible at this game but loving it nonetheless!

I noticed in reading other threads that it seems possible to "wall climb" on the PC version for a brief distance to rise above enemies (I'm talking about you bat!). Has anyone figured out how to do this on IOS? I've tried all sorts of key combo's, long presses, etc. and can't seem to trigger the action.

Also, I have noticed that if I increase my HP beyond 4, that the white status bar under the HP meter increments. This leads me to believe that you can store up to 8 HP but the game never seems to use the extra HP that has accumulated. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

6. moppin

moppin New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Really!? I have no idea how that works, but ok, I had simply given up thinking that iPads were too old and incapable of the game, but hearing that gives me hope. I'll try and see what I can do! Thanks for going the length to test it, super appreciated!

7. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    My humble iPad 2 and I will be waiting.;)

8. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I can't get the game to rotate on iPad mini 2. Also is there mfi controller support? Btw this game is incredible. A modern classic. Seriously. Nintendo themselves would be happy to publish such a gem.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm no dev, so I might say a lot of nonsense, but this is my logic:

- universal versions distinguish if the device is iPhone (1) or iPad (2) through the game's info.plist archive.
    - iPad version is possibly loading gfx assets which are minimum x4 the size of iPhone assets, which in essence takes more CPU time to manage, etc. This might be the reason why it doesn't work on older iPads.

One possible solution could be to make an iPhone only version which has the iPhone button layout when holding the phone vertically, and the iPad layout when tilting the phone and holding it horizontally. As it is now, and with the little I know from Game Maker, my guess is you've developed a universal version which in reality is two different versions: one for iPhone and one for iPad.

If you want to mass-try my theory, you can make an iPhone-only demo version using this philosophy which only allows to play level 1-1 and submit it to Apple so that we can download and try it in the different devices.

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Moppin,

Might I please request you make it possible for us to play the game in landscape mode so the buttons and my thumbs are to the sides and out of the way? I'm referring to the iPhone's. I would be very grateful. I cannot believe this is your first game. Pretty amazing stuff my friend. I can't wait to see what you do next. You made a fan out of me!

Billy

11. moppin

moppin New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    LordShad0wz

Hi! Yeah people have asked me that, but I feel like that'll make the game window be suuuuper tiny and probably noone would be able to see? Will try doing it though!

Mrwubbs

Hi! There is no portrait mode - I felt like holding it in landscape was the best and should be the only option as that way your thumbs will not hinder the view. That said, I might include portrait mode in the next update to see if people like it.
    MFi is supported! Try using one :)

12. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    You can walk jump, you jump and hit the direction away from the wall at the same time, have to have full ammo and can only be once till you bounce off something again!

13. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thank you for the response! When I said the screen won't rotate, I meant that if I turn the iPad upside down, the screen stays stuck.

14. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Why water for the last two levels? Man water sucks!

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Water is only on level 3. Level 4 hasn't got water...

16. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    How many upgrades are available to unlock? Wondering how many palettes and additional upgrades.

Loving it, just don't want to stop getting upgrades haha

17. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    Grandma is my favorite palette so far.

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I also love Grandma! I have zero complaints about Downwell, it's everything I expect from an arcade mobile game. I really love the attention to detail from bullet casings, to the little character glitch when you reload, to the shopkeeper's angry face when you jump on his merchandise. Best $2.99 spent on the App Store in months.

I almost made it to World 3, I'm guessing the difficulty is a lot easier to manage on PC than it is on the iPhone 6 plus. I'll keep trying to beat it the legit way, I know some people here are exploiting some slow down on the iPad 3.

19. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Would love to see some creepy big ass bosses in the game.....and to devs if you are listening?
    I hope and pray you make another downwell but a platform version with the night scenery when you are on the surface, i know it would be different game mechanics but man that surface scene is awesome, so well made!
    Would love to see this is as a platform story with rpg and horror elements.
    But for the time being this game is getting ridiculously hard to put down, without a doubt my game of the year so far and that coming from someone that does not play these type of games. Bow to the devs!

20. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Hahaha, just came back to ask the same!! Just unlocked Glow (the inverse version to Downwell, quite cool) and I don't want it to end. And secretly I hope for a final palette with full coloring! :) But seriously, how many are there?

And I also would suggest to reward higher combos! Since knowing about this combo system I only play for long streaks and it's amazing. Such an adrenalin rush when you're above 30. So, getting more rewards for bigger combos would be fantastic! Crazy crazy game! And the longer I play the more realize how close this game is to perfection. Dead serious, it will be soooo hard to release anything that kicks it from my GOTY throne. Way too good. Already a classic.