Downloading apps directly on Touch without iTunes?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by migo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I'm thinking about getting an iPod Touch, but I hate iTunes and that it autoloads at startup. I could handle doing some initial set up with it, but I'd prefer to be able to uninstall it and keep using the touch. As long as I have a WiFi connection, is it possible for me to download games directly to the Touch and bypass iTunes altogether?

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yup, there is an app store on the touch that you can download apps directly to your device without having to go through itunes.

However using itunes is nice because it backs-up your apps and saved data, so if you ever need to restore or get a new device in the future etc... you can just easily restore from back-up.

Also, some apps are quite large and will take longer to install on the device than if you did it on your comp through itunes.

But to answer your question. Yes.

3. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks.

Out of curiosity, why does it take longer to install on the device?

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It took me a while to make peace with iTunes. Now we get along famously. It keeps all my media (well most media) organized neatly. No more haphazard folders of mp3s strewn about anymore. I wish it did a better job categorizing (and even subcategorizing) my iDevice apps. They are all just thrown into a pile called 'Mobile Applications.' Thanks be to the apple for ubiquitous search bars.

5. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Slower chip, less ram, not as powerful wi-fi antenna. Stuff like that.

6. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    You may want to think about how you pay for your apps (unless you're only downloading free apps). Credit card? Or through some way that requires you to be on your computer to increase your iTunes balance?

I'm not sure if you can enter Gift Card codes in the iTunes app on your device (Downloads tab, Redeem button), you might need iTunes on your computer for that.

7. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I wouldn't mind it if it didn't install QuickTime into the System Tray. It bloats the system and there's no good reason for it. I can keep it from launching at start up, but every time I run QuickTime or iTunes it re-inserts itself for the next startup. It behaves like malware.

So rather than sending the file to the Touch and running the installer there, it handles the installation on the computer and just copies the files and changes some configuration?

That's something to consider. I imagine I'd be doing more free than paid, and needing the extra step to do paid apps would prevent impulse buying to some degree.

8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    No you can enter gift card codes and redeem them there. Works fine.

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yes you can, there is no big problem with that. However, like another guy said, iTunes backs up your purchases which is good, and I generally find it better to browse apps on the iTunes store on the computer. As for download time, It may take a bit longer, however the whole proccess of downloading and syncing usually takes longer than downloading it straight from the iPhone's app store.

10. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Ha. I remember when I had a windows machine and I only wanted QuickTime. My complaints were very much the same, only the exact opposite. :p

As for the unstoppable launch at startup, I don't remember having that problem at all. Are you sure you haven't missed something in the preferences?

11. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I remember it involved hacking the registry. Not something I'm terribly eager to do, since invariably something goes very wrong with it.

12. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    You'll want iTunes in all honesty, for both occasional backups and firmware updates. Having said that though, I RARELY hook my iPhone up to a computer. And I've never used iTunes to buy or download anything, well I've used the iTunes app on my phone, but yeah :).

If I had to count I bet I've only connected my iPhone to a computer a handful of times since buying it in august, and never for purchases.