Universal Doug dug. (By The Electric Toy Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 6, 2014.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Yea, some kind of story mode would be cool. Just anything to keep playing for besides a high score.

I do the same thing. Digging straight down won't get you a lot of money, but you can get a lot of distance. Besides, there's nothing to buy with the money right now anyway. Having some sort of store or upgrade system would make you want to start taking chances for gold. This game has HUGE potential.

2. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    There should be some bonuses on causing collapse because it's an important element of this game imo.

3. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    I love this game ! So addictive !!!!!

4. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    This is a terrific game. Everything you guys ever bring out is an instant first day buy.

5. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Can't stop playing it with also PIXA which is in front page ! Congratulations !

Need an advice please : how can I get off mummies ?

6. ChrisBranscome

ChrisBranscome New Member

May 14, 2014
    Hey all. Chris Branscome here - I created the soundtrack for Doug Dug, and I'm happy to see the positive comments here. I've only worked on a couple of handfuls of games so far, but I'd love to do more in the future, and I want to get better and better at creating soundtracks that are engaging, that fit with the mood of the game, but that sit comfortably and unannoyingly in the background. If it happens to be catchy enough that you find yourself humming it during the day, then that's great too.

But since getting better requires getting feedback, I'd love to get your input. I realize that music is a highly subjective thing, and I'm not just looking for pats on the back, but if you have any critique - positive or negative, I welcome it.

I'm just happy to get to work on such great games!

7. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    I like it. I think the light, irreverent tone is a good fit for the slapstick, dying-constantly gameplay.

8. ChrisBranscome

ChrisBranscome New Member

May 14, 2014
    Ha! That's an apt description of the gameplay, and I mean that in a good way.

9. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Music is funny and didn't get as boring as other games !
    This little game is a full alchemy of art, gameplay, pixel art and music good vibrations!

Did I mention that the one finger gameplay is perfect ? :)

10. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    I always see my top score but I see no Game Center button. Am I missing something? Is there a leaderboard? If so then where is it? I see a twitter button, a settings button and a button to the game site.

Thanks for any light you can bring to this.

11. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Seems like you have to manually go to the Game Center app and pull up the game's details.

12. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    Bleh, alright. Thanks for the quick reply. =]

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Echoing everyone else's comment about how fun this game is. Good risk vs reward system. Excellent controls. There's much for me to still discover. I like how you just have to go down without the tedium of hulling stuff back up.

One double edged sword thing is whether the game should have upgrades to me.. Having an upgrade system helps extend wanting to keep playing for the next upgrade. But I like the way it is too as I'm just focused on tactics instead of feeling like the game is a "grind" up to the highest gear.

Overall, this scratches the discovery part in "mining games" minus the tedious part of inventory management and hulling items back up to town for me.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    #54 slewis7, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Good game. Thanks to all the folks who commented here letting us more cautious folks know this is a good game to dig on.

15. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    How do you avoid/kill mummies?!

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thread bizump. Congrats on the well-deserved Gold rating on Pocket Gamer. Touch Arcaders, get this game if you haven't yet.

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I've heard great things from a few friends, and that review sealed the deal. Time to pick this up!

18. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Great game, but I'm awful at it.
    It would be helpful to know a bit more about when landslides can occur. Some sort of warning at least.

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#59 Bronxsta, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
    This game was not on my radar at all. The posts here and some impressions from members I trust convinced me to get it. I've only played a few short rounds and I'm really enjoying Doug Dug. The controls are simple and responsive, charming graphics, and the cave-ins are awesome, adds a lot of tension and urgency to the game

20. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    As Guise says somewhere above once you get into it it really does have a lot of depth (no pun intended) for such, on the face of it, a simple concept. It's like terraria with all the rubbish bits taken out.