iPad DoubleDragon - (by Bow Mobile Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Is it downloading for any of you guys? I hope I don't get screwed with a modification to the launch price. :/ 1mb left for my download, I'll post impressions in a few.

2. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Still a no-go here in the U.S. 40 minutes later...
    Same modification error.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is $3.99 suppose to be a "sale" price?

(Don't get me wrong, it's not an unfair price just considering the App market seems a little higher for a sale).

4. Creepshow

Feb 10, 2011
    No you're right, this game should be no more than $1.99, if that,
    from what I've seen so far.

5. Dyelon

Dyelon Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Im dying to know if the games decent or not!

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #46 metalcasket, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    After an hour of playing, I can safely say...I finished it. >_> The game is definitely playable, but man, oh man are there some issues.

- Clunky controls.
    - The HUD: 1) Gets in the way in some places. 2) May be huge, but the buttons are small. >_> Go figure.
    - "Packaging" feels cheap. It's not polished and the menus scream "poor man's iOS SFIV".
    - Typos? Apparently you're saving Marain at one point.
    - Getting beaten up/dying...If I'm beaten to a pulp and I'm about to die, why exactly do I have to get up on my knees just to fall flat on my face again? Takes too long.
    - I'm pulling out the retina card, but yeah...not retina enabled.

Even with all that, like I previously said...the game's playable. Not for $3.99 though.

7. Dyelon

Dyelon Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    ^no0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o!

damn. i was hoping for a semi loyal/polished version of double dragon for my itouch. grrr!

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    When people play that card it really makes me laugh.

9. Dyelon

Dyelon Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Any other impressions?

10. Creepshow

Feb 10, 2011
    Thanks for the update, you summed it up perfectly and just like the demo
    portrayed. Unfortunately the title name will earn some quick sales to some
    less than par effort put forth.

I don't think even a retina update can help this Marain... :cool:

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #51 metalcasket, Mar 3, 2011
    I edited my post and put it at the end of the list. Better? Considering we're this far into the current generation of iDevices, it is an issue and is worth mentioning.

On an unrelated note, I hope people don't use my post to decide whether or not to get the game before there are more opinions, but if it makes a difference, I do feel like playing through it again. That's gotta mean something.

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    So it's as I feared to be honest the huge HUD was a give-away they had taken less than a professional approach. The control layout of the buttons looks very poor as well instead of simplifying for IOS they actually added extra ones.

Skipping this now although I'm a little sad to have to.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think it's worth mentioning that there are 2 control options. Manual where you have the clusterf*** of buttons everywhere, and an Automatic option where punch and kick are combined. I'm glad I decided to try Automatic a second ago, because it makes the game that much better. Like I said guys, please don't base your purchase solely on my post.

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Meh its just opinions. I am still not to the point where I think that games need retina. Its funny to see people demand or complain about it when the game is retro based, pix-elated, or uses a lot of sprites.

Finally the d/l is working.

I still bought it just for the nostalgia. The controls were the only thing that had me worried. But luckily app store games seem like they get patched more and faster that other video game devices.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Totally get where you're coming from. Honestly, the game looks fine. The HUD and it's blurry f***ing control pad and PAUSE button don't however.

Just curious, is it still $3.99?

16. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    #56 jsrco, Mar 3, 2011
    Ya.

I am gonna say the controls are better with auto. But manual plays like I remember it from the arcade and NES. They still feels clunky compared to modern games. I dislike the button placement though greatly.

Take that back.... everything works great. My complaint with the controls is not having a control pat or joystick to feel under my left hand and thumb. But I just pulled off some wicked combos. This is bringing back some memories alright!

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well got this this morning. Am happy with it, i like the proper retro Double Dragon tune playing throughout. Plays pretty well.

A few niggles !...

After i completed stage 1 there was a typo in the text - 'friiend'

Also after completing the first stage and stage 2 started, i quit. Went back in hoping i could resume or save my progress from earlier but nothing. Do i have to always start from the beginning ?

The joypad takes up a lot of space, other Double Dragon games theres more room to go down. But i must admit it plays very well, has a great retro feel to it but also at the same time it seems like a cool update. Despite the huge joypad its still very addictive

But interested to know about the resume

18. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #58 Jenohart, Mar 3, 2011
    I actually feel this is a fairly decent game.

Yes there are typos but that isn't really a big issue. The DPad feels a bit too small but otherwise the controls are fine. You have a _lot_ of moves you can pull off (more in manual control), and you shouldn't get too badly beaten if you make use of the jump attacks and take care not to get surrounded. The diving jump (jump forward, down+attack) is not only good for clearing groups of enemies, but can also hit enemies on the ground, making some boss fights quite easy.

I also have to point this out, there are a lot of playable characters. You start out with Billy (who now almost looks like Kenshiro) and Jimmy, but the character select screen has 4x4 slots and three screens, and I'm willing to bet that most will have unique attacks (the bosses definitely), which certainly ups the replay value.

It could be more polished, maybe with a different HUD or a zoom mode, or at least make the buttons bigger for such a huge HUD, but so far this is a pretty good beat-em-up.

PS: My Double Dragon knowledge isn't the best, but was Burnov always "Mr. sexuality issues" ?

19. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I completely went back on what I said about skipping it and found myself pressing the buy button. The levels are definitely Double Dragon the characters and moves aren't though I think the original had a lot more charm in both, But the original moves might be in there somewhere as I did manage the hold and knee once I'm not sure how I pulled it off though I couldn't repeat it.

It's not terrible and there looks to be a few interesting additions like exp to unlock new moves (only seen in help I haven't had more than a brief play) and unlocking other characters to play with.

While I was being nostalgic I grabbed Streets of Rage as well I know it's the megadrive version like the Golden Axe I have but still.

I don't like the buttons much but it's playable if they hadn't named it Double Dragon I'd be far less harsh on them.

20. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    The tiny buttons are really what hurt the game, making it slightly unresponsive. Nothing a minor update wont fix.
    After beating the game on easy with no continues I unlocked Abobo and a bunch of henchmen enemies. I have yet to determine what controls character unlocking (# of clears, character used, difficulty or more specific conditions).
    First person to unlock all characters, post your gamesave.