Universal Door Kickers: Action Squad (by KILLHOUSE GAMES SRL)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Apr 2, 2020.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    LOL, you most certainly should! Bomb Chicken by Nitrome. Anyway, I’m just a few levels from completing it, so I’ll get back to you soon.

I though for a moment that Action Squad is going to be too difficult but I just figured out what this bar is all about, LOL. It gave me a different perspective on gameplay. I already know I’m gonna love this game so so much.:)
    —-

Attached Files:

elanaibaKHG likes this.
  2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ah thank you for sharing that, I wouldn’t have known.

3. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    GOTW or month?
    Incredibly fun game.
    5 stars!

solarnya, ste86uk and elanaibaKHG like this.
  4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    It’s got Bomb Chicken to contend with but it’s a fun game for sure.

5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #65 ste86uk, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Anyone pick their favourite yet? I’m thinking of going with recon after initially hating it, but it is quite soft to start with but looking at its skills and gear it seems to have the most options. But off duty and assault look good too....well everything does.

Also I take it now after using my points on the shared skills that we can’t reset those? Only the ones on class skills?

Edit: although why is picking the lock a bonus with opening the door? I still get noticed right away. It seems better to kick it in but you can’t with recon

6. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @elanaibaKHG ok, so I tried more gameplay and it happened again. And since there’s no way to save during the mission, I’m forced to either quit and restart the game, listen to it which gets pretty annoying real fast or mute the music and gameplay loses its appeal. I hope you can figure out what’s wrong and fix it soon.

7. elanaibaKHG

elanaibaKHG Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2015
    game developer
    Bucharest, Romania
    Thanks, looking into it!

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I don’t mind that. If the team can benefit from those, I’m fine with that. Also their description is pretty straightforward, so there are no surprises later on. You know what you’re gonna get for your skill points.

What I don’t like is star system as a currency for purchasing items. I don’t know yet if it’s possible to reset or return weapons and items and try different ones. Because if not, the game’s basically punishing me to experiment. If I’m about to pay 10 stars for a weapon which I end up not liking, I’m stuck with it anyway. Not to mention, there’s multiple character classes to choose from but if I spend 10 star for a single weapon for a single character, there’s a lot of grinding and replaying levels ahead to earn enough stars for other weapons too. So once again, if there’s no way to get my stars back, this is really unlucky choice of purchasing.

ste86uk likes this.
  9. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i also have issues with music, and some crashes around.

@elanaibaKHG btw, i'm playing on a 6S with the latest iOS atm.

Ijipop likes this.
  10. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Same here, some crashes.
    I could not pinpoint the exact problem. Only happened in Stage #2 when accessing doors to go up or down. (Pressing arrows instead of action button, a reflex...)

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  11. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I really love Bomb Chicken (4/5). But THIS!!!

https://www.148apps.com/reviews/bomb-chicken-review/

I agree on some point and disagree on other.
    That’s why my 4 outta 5.
    It’s beautiful pixel art, plays relatively well on a phone. But the game is just another platformer/puzzle game with a chicken laying bombs twist. I can see myself finishing it, erasing it and forgetting it. Well worth my money though.

on the other hand.

Door Kicker is so versatile on the gameplay side. 3 Star stages, bonus stages, zombie mode, endless mode. Multiple characters thus multiple way to end each levels. Hidden donuts. Door kicking and shotgun in the face?!? Count me in!!!

It’s sort of a blend between 2 awesome games.
    Hotline miami and Not a Hero.

I just hope this game will sell well so we can get DLC or other game by those awesome devs!

(cough cough, bring Door Kickers 1 to phone and not only tablet, cough cough)

ste86uk likes this.
  12. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Completely disagree on that Bomb Chicken review. And how is it “just another puzzle/platformer? Bombs make it an entirely different experience from a game play point of view. Not to mention some great level design. 5/5 from me. Hard but unique and satisfying to get past levels.

That Campbell Bird guy has really gone downhill on his reviews IMO.

Sorry for derailing the thread...

—-

Really like this game but feel like it needs some work. Definitely still would prefer a jump button and maybe a joystick for movement.

13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I do find it hard to run away but I’ll probably get use to the controls. But recon runs out of ammo quickly and for some reason doesn’t auto reload when empty just waits for me to click it. So if I try and run away and up some ladders to reload it’s very fiddly with the movement control to do so.

@macplash I thought the same about the stars, will have to be extremely careful especially with those high price ones.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep, let's keep this thread about Door Kickers please.

Bird does keep an eye on the forum though and apparently took offense to being called incompetent....which that Bomb Chicken review now reaffirms. :p Sorry bud.

OKAY, DOOR KICKERS!

Ijipop and anthony78 like this.
  15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #75 ste86uk, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    I literally just had to use two hands to get my guy to jump into level 4 it really does need a jump button...also with it saying about shield getting a bonus when crouching a crouch toggle would be nice too.

You can drag left and right but to up right jump you need two hands or take your thumb off movement to press it and then take off and back to movement. I practically die just jumping into the level by the time I land and can shoot back.

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    The game should encourage us to experiment with different classes and weapons. But instead it limit us to make permanent choices without giving us enough information on what to expect. I 3-starred 8 levels so far which gives me 24 stars to spend. So if I unlock flash grenades for 4 stars, armor for 2 and a weapon for 10, it's 16 stars spent on just a one single character. What about the other items and weapons? And most importantly, what about the other classes? You see my point?

Okay, maybe it benefits in a long run. I don't know how much of a content is there. Maybe if everything's summed up in the end, it'll allow me to purchase every item and weapon for every single class. But I don't know that. And most importantly, if I start with wrong class or weapon, I can't get my stars back, or can I?

On top of that there are issues. Like the music skipping, random crashes (I didn't experience any, but other players did), odd choice of control scheme - specifically jumping, wrong levels displayed when scrolling through classes etc. Luckily (and hopefully), these are all easily fixable. Even the weird star economy if the option to refund weapons and items is added.

The pixel art is top-notch. Music (when not skipping) is phenomenal. Humor is spot on. Different game modes are great. I really hope the mentioned issues could be ironed out really soon. The game has tremendous potential to be fantastic. It's just not there yet.

ste86uk likes this.
  17. s1543

s1543 Member

May 8, 2017
    Also here on an iPad mini 4 and on iPhone 8 both on latest iOS.

But the game is great! Enjoying it a lot.

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I unlocked flash bangs and it unlocked them for all of my characters that can use them. I unlocked Armor but it doesn’t seem available to all only on some toons but maybe the others can’t use the one I got?

From what I seen online if it’s the same as the steam comments I was reading then you can’t fully unlock all skills for each class. Not sure for gear.

@macplash who’s your go to?

19. elanaibaKHG

elanaibaKHG Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2015
    game developer
    Bucharest, Romania
    There should be enough stars for all weapons and gear. Most gear is usable by all classes while weapons are class specific.

Ijipop and ste86uk like this.
  20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    the random generated Tower mode could be a funny way to have stars, or we can get them on normal mode only?

anyway, the Tower mode makes this game endless, not to mention the huge amount of levels on normal mode.

Ijipop likes this.