iPad DOOM II RPG (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Mission Europa: A fururistic RPG by the maker of Necromancer Rising

The videos are after a week of work on it, but with the constant feedback he's been getting, this game's going to be sweet. He's been working on it for a long time, and it's nearing Beta Testing in a month or so. I'm excited though. :D

On topic though, how much have you guys played if you haven't leveled up? Is it a slow leveling system? Doesn't really matter cause I'm picking it up later after school, but still. :D

Edit- Shoot! Somerandomdude beat me to it! Haha

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    HAHA!!! I WON!

But yeah, I don't know the exact amount of time, but since I have to start from the first red key card door again (stupid lack of auto-save), I'll see if I can keep an estimate going before I level up.

3. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Ok sweet. I'm gonna pick this up on thursday, just because I'm gonna be going on a 7 hour car ride and want something brand new to entertain me. :D
    I love my iPod.

4. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    You can't control leveling up stats, although you can train on treadmills and do some other stuff to level up certain attributes.

And yeh, the game is short. Very, but still fun as hell.

5. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Did you beat it? How long was it? Was it really the 8 hrs they said?
    Haha even if not, it's only 4 bucks.

6. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, good idea, although I've heard that it's rather short from some, but idk, with other games, you should survive the car ride. Just make sure you have a car charger... I've had my battery die in pretty much 2 hours playing COD:Zombies and Jet Car Stunts.

And as for the last part, I couldn't agree more.

7. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Not yet, I am at the last boss (and trust me, if you played Doom 2 before you know this is the last boss). I will beat him later. The fight looked involved and I didn't feel like dealing with it last night lol. It was about 4 hours, by the time I kill the last boss maybe 4.5 if he takes me 30 mins or more. Keep in mind I didn't die throughout the whole game though.

Again, I would DEFINITELY buy it. Total awesome game.

8. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

So is this just the classic Doom shooting game changed to turn-based combat?

9. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I am worried if this game will be too much similar to Wolf RPG, I enjoyed that one but playing it again will not be that fun.
    And no autosave??? Wolf had it every moment

10. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Definitely not. It is an entirely new game. All the levels are new. None are from Doom 2. The enemies are, obviously, but there are some new ones as well.

It is very similar imo. Its almost like just re-theming a game. Still worth it.

Just beat the game if anyone needs help at all. The last boss did take around 20-30 mins as expected, and was basically a level onto itself.

11. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    So when are we going to see Orcs&Elves 1-2, plus a new 3?

12. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    #72 writingsama, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    What ever happened to Bioshock on the iphone?

EDIT: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:XnPOpuin-KoJ:iphonefreakz.com/2009/02/04/app-store-bioshock-iphone-preview-video/+iphone+bioshock&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (Google cache, the main site seems to be down/gone)

Even the BREW version looks awesome, and BREW games suck (controls). Please whoever is developing it, do your research, use NOVA controls!!!

13. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Wait, is that a video of iPhone Bioshock?:confused: The link is being retarded...

14. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    The project is dead from my knowledge. It was cancelled for copyright claims or something to that effect. Too bad, I'd love to have Bioshock on my iPod.

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm with you guys, Orcs & Elves would be a perfect fit on the iPhone. I actually can't see any reason why they wouldn't port them over, besides JC being to busy to do so. I bet eventually we see all of those games. What would be really sweet is a brand new, made for iPhone O&E 3, with O&E 1 and 2 as part of the package. I'd pay $30 or more for that.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning, this game has crashed on me 3 times last night. I think it might be a memory issue, as it will let me play for a good amount of time and then when some heavy action starts to go down it will freeze up then boot me back to springboard. So, as a friendly reminder, SAVE OFTEN! I had to basically redo the first hour or so because I didn't realize I had to manually save, and it crashed on me after about an hour.

Other than that small issue I'm in love with this game, it's really funny and a blast to play.

16. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Gotta say, I loved Wolfenstein RPG - it easily surpassed my expectations - so I was excited to see that Doom II RPG had been released. After reading up on it a bit though, I'm a little afraid it's too much of the same. Yes, I loved Wolf but do I want to play the same game again? Not really.

So we'll see. As silly as it sounds, if the game drops to a buck or two, I'll snap it up without hesitating.

17. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Never crashed on me and I run many apps in the background at once (usually around 10). But I have a 3GS.

18. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I'm starting to lean in that direction myself...

19. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Doom II is great as a standalone and you will likely blow through it in a few hours unlike Wolf RPG. Having said that, they are similar albeit with a different skin. If you've played Wolf and expect Doom II to be different, then you may be disappointed. Otherwise, Doom II is a good offering, worthy of the device.

20. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    #80 writingsama, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    The 2D one came out. ? wouldn't that have the same issues?

It's a Google cache, with a Youtube video of the BREW version. BREW generally has ipod 2g graphics, and it looks AMAZING. If the 2d one came out why can't they keep working on a 3d one?

You think NOVA made money? Ha.

EDIT: Youtube video direct link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeyZWJeRp2o&feature=player_embedded