DOOM: How soon is "fairly soon?"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gekkota, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Any guesstimates on when Doom will hit the App Store? :confused:
    I'd rather get Doom than Wolfenstein 3D, but I don't want to wait toooo long!
    :rolleyes:

2. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I would think awhile. Wolf3D has just been submitted and they are starting to make Doom in the spare time. Just depends how often id gets around to the side projects :)

3. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Boss Man
    Mid Michigan
    Hate to burst your bubble, but Wolf 3D is in the App Store now. Just downloaded it last night. It was submitted last Tuesday.

4. Gamingfun

Mar 23, 2009
    Yeah I just downloaded it too :D I'm just saying it'll still be awhile as these are just side projects for them

5. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Side projects? I think they are just as eager as any other company to get their games to the iPhone. It's unbeleivable the amount of hype the iPhone has. Mobile Gaming sites are always all over it and have a new game announcement(s) (planned and released) every day.I'm sure iD wants a slice of Apple pie too.

6. Gamingfun

Mar 23, 2009
    I just keep digging a bigger hole don't I :cool: Well with the 4.99 price tag on Wolf3D I can see that iD wants in on the iPhone but there mobile/portable stuff has always been a fun side gig hasn't it? I read his interview for Orcs and Elves and he just made the basic layout of the engine in a hotel room by himself for a day or so. So sure Doom could be all set to be done today but it's just when he gives himself time to do it.

7. Crimsonpaw

Crimsonpaw Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    #7 Crimsonpaw, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    I would agree and call Wolf3D and Doom on the iPhone side projects. I'm sure they don't have a huge team dedicated to these projects and are using these classic games as a way to test the waters. This is Carmack we're talking about, if and when he brings out a new IP to the iPhone, you will see the device do things you never thought possible.

Also, the message with the Wolf3D release statement said Doom would be out "soon" for the iPhone, considering the device's typical development timeframe I would guess we'll see it sometime in April.

I'd expect ID to release info on a full-bore iPhone project at E3 after they see how well these classic games take to the device.

Edit: A guy here at work said Carmack noted it took him 4, that's FOUR, days to port Wolf 3D ... Doom may be out sooner than I thought (still sometime in April though, but possibly early April).

8. Gamingfun

Mar 23, 2009
    I believe that. It's just how it was with Orcs and Elves in a way. Carmack has said that going to these portable devices with hardware he use to work on way back when is actually refreshing as he now has ways around problems that had deterred him before. It just makes for a much easier making of a game on hardware, while new, is still very old to him.

9. Varkman

Varkman Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I think we'll hear more on Doom when they have assessed the sales curve of Wolfenstein 3D, which i guess would mean news should be forthcoming in around 3 weeks to a month? Totally speculative really but hey, it's fun!

10. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

God just wait

11. Spitfire3775

Spitfire3775 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Earth
    I want this so badly. I am playing wolfenstein 3D now.

12. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    It took Carmack four days to port and finish Wolfie for iPhone.

Four days. It shouldn't take that much longer for DOOM. If it's not out by the end of April, I'll be very surprised.