Universal DOOM (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by doctorded, Oct 31, 2009.

1. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Pardon me for not reading all the details of the front page articles. They're mostly price reduction notices, or always mostly praises about upcoming/just-coming games and less flaws (they may have just coincidentally covered games with less issues, I must admit I did not keep a mental track).

But you're right, our own fault for not reading it all. Good to hear too.

2. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    The original music is pretty poor IMO, though it's not their fault. They were limited by the storage memory available. Once doom was released on playstation, they suddenly had a media storage device capable of storing some actual music, rather than the sythesised music of the original. And the soundtrack they made was great. Maybe they could offer it as dlc. The soundtrack will probably be bigger in size than the game though!

3. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I don't understand why people are complaining about the music. It's part of what makes DOOM the classic it is. Why in the world would anyone want to listen to anything else?
    I'm befuddled! :confused:

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Agreed. Given what they had to work with at the time, they did a great job.

5. WonderingIf

WonderingIf Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Kid herding
    In an alternate reality
    I have some questions that may or not have been posted yet, but here goes:

I love DOOM as much as anybody here. I enjoyed (happily wasted?:p) many, many hours playing DOOM, DOOM II, and all the others. It was a game that redefined how we see action shooters, and indeed video games in general. It was cutting edge when it first appeared, and it set the standard for everything after. I still enjoy playing it to this day.

With all that said, why is everyone so adamant about keeping the original graphics and sound, etc.? Why are so many opposed to having better graphics and sound with the same maps and characters? Sometimes it seems to me that this strange attachment to the older graphics (and sometimes crappier, compared to today's standards) keeps us from getting an awesome updated version of a classic. Nostalgia is fun, but why not have a new spin on an old idea? It is like saying "I'd rather watch Star Wars on grainy, mono VHS, not surround Blue Ray, thanks." John Carmack even said, way back when all this started, that he was considering updating graphics and sound on DOOM, but didn't because of the negative outpouring to this idea. And again, I ask, why? :confused: This is, of course, IMHO, but perhaps one of you out there could shed some light on this.

I'm curious as to what you all think. Thanks! :D

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    When you're playing, tap the screen with four fingers.

7. all74

all74 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    IMG_0082.PNG

Here's my setup on wolf - it works really nicely. Love to have the same in doom.

8. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    this was already done on the psx as well as multiple doom mods like ZDoom, Vavoom, Doom Legacy, and Doomsday. these added a plethora of options to the doom engine including high res model packs, and 3-D model packs, as well as endless soundtrack options and remixes. doom 1 was especially worked over(though only the first episode) on the doom 3 engine later on as a free download.

[​IMG]

so uh...there you have it.

anyways, this right here is Doom Classic, and i love having the original the way it was back when i played it growing up. if you want more, though, it's been out there for ages my friend. :)

9. ENERTRON

ENERTRON Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    wasn't the old code IDDQD?

10. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    +1, Carmack is giving much love to the Iphone/Itouch and I like the games he makes and how seriously treat the iDevice. That update to Doom Resurrection is amazing and now the update to Wolfenstein. Something that other big companies donĀ“t bother to do. ID is like a mix of a big company and an indie developer and with the best of the 2 sides

11. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    For me, Doom's graphics have a unique flavor that would be near impossible to recreate. It's in my opinion not at all like someone preferring a VHS copy over a Blu-Ray copy of the same movie. It would be like someone preferring a VHS copy of the original vs a Blu-Ray copy of a remake. Doom's graphics have already been cleaned up by the GL rendering, which for some is already crossing the line a bit. If they re-did the graphics and sound, I'm not sure it would have the same charm of the original.

Now, if in 10 years they want to remake Doom 3 with the graphics of 2019, then by all means, go ahead. But the original Doom just has something special about it, the graphical upgrades mentioned in a previous post are great, but most of the time I just want to play the classic, relatively untouched Doom.

12. MooKings

MooKings Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    In Earth...
    I'd probably wait for a price drop...to $5...

13. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    #173 AchillesReborn, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    Well, having the option to change the soundtrack wouldn't effect you, would it? They did a good job given the limitations at the time, but they then produced much better music for the psx release. Those of us who want the improved, far more atmospheric music (Imo) would be happy. And those obsessed with nolstalgia can have the original soundtrack, and maybe an option for a fps limit and downgraded graphics to make them really happy! Seriously though, how can anyone be confused that someone else wants a different soundtrack option? I'm not even slightly confused by people wanting the original soundtrack. I would just like the option to switch to the psx version. Different people have different tastes, and in this case it seems quite simple to satisfy both desires. If legally possible, I really hope they add the psx soundtrack as dlc.

Edit: what would be really nice would be an updated version, with classic mode added as a game mode. Although that would be asking a lot!

14. antosimoni

antosimoni Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Im a Doom fan and I have played it more and more : indeed this is a great port but not having possibility to set sensitivity is a major issue IMHO I hear many are playing only with one stick but without strafing youre going to ruin a bit gameplay, you are forced to do silly back&forths
    mr Carmack, please also give us an option to turn off that silly click you hear every time you grab a control its really annoying A LOT, for the rest (besides sensistivity lack)... great job!! ('still waiting DooM II ;-))

15. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Thank goodness this is already in the game. Go into settings, and switch "touch click" to off.

16. antosimoni

antosimoni Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    hahahahahaha hadnt noticed that, do you know what Ramp Turn do ???

17. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Oddly nope it's tilt to strafe. Which feels wierd

18. neon_guide

neon_guide Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Absolutely fantastic port, the controls are absolutely spot on and the whole thing is as smooth as butter on a 1st gen touch. Im going with the two sticks, no draw controls, no tilt combination and it works great.

Slightly let down that doom 2, final doom and the master levels arent available yet. As well as the ability to play user made stuff, but i can wait i reckon.

Notably, the super shotgun is in the weapon select, which as we alll know was only introduced in Doom 2

19. ScottColbert

Then you'd be missing the point of playing something called Doom classic. no one's saying not to enjoy the PSX soundtrack, but it's not part of the original Doom.

20. ScottColbert

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't understand this obsessive need people have to constantly want to update older games, remake movies, or as Ted Turner did years ago, colorize black and white movies.

Updating graphics doesn't do anything to gameplay or content, and it's not necessary. You want pretty graphics? go play something new-some things just stand on their own.