Universal DOOM (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by doctorded, Oct 31, 2009.

1. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Thanks for the review Big Albie!!

And also agree on the shotgun reload. Not a big deal, but still.......

2. antosimoni

antosimoni Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    well I have played it enough to say its great to have original doom on my iphone but controls are waaaay worse than Wolf3D and thats because you cant set sensitivity... bad move, why? sometimes it seem slow and often too fast and its not easy to get it right like you need, when you start E1M1 first time its very frustrating to have great difficulties going through straight stairs with dual stick controls, please mr Carmack bring back sensitivity for controls!!

3. IpodLady

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    I had the same issues, but you do get use to controls eventually. But i'm using the single stick method so maybe it's different.

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I experimented with ll the settings, and the single-stick method works the best for me. The controls in general aren't really bad, but they do take some getting used to. But now I'm walking and shooting with abandon. One thing's for sure, these controls are definitely better than what's in Duke Nukem.

5. IpodLady

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    I think anything is better than Duke Nukem. It's disappointing that they have made no attempts to really fix this issue correctly.

6. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Well, so far, this is a fantastic port IMO.
    I love the different control styles.
    So, being a huge fan of these games, this made me very happy.

7. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I deleted Duke after before and after the update. It's just playable although not very entertaining.

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I use the one stick controls too. I could never get away with doing that in other FPS, but it seems to work ok here. It lets you turn in a more subtle way, whereas when you have the right stick for aiming the turning is just too extreme to be accurate. Still, I'd prefer to be using two sticks and be able to adjust the sensitivity of them, but this will work for now. Just can't strafe, but I can deal with that.

9. IpodLady

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Maybe it's just me, but disregarding the bad controls, i didnt find it to have to same "flavor" as the original Duke.

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Well, that didn't help either. Duke was just not nuking'em like he used to.

11. IpodLady

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Yeah i know. It seems they took alot of what made Duke "Duke" out of this version to stay within ratings guidelines.

12. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #152 GregB, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    A 'dead zone' for strafing with the two stick control scheme might work. Problem I had was slipping sideways when I didn't mean to. I'm using the one stick method for now. I'm also fairly sure the game autosaves on exit. And it reloads in a heartbeat making it poifect for quick play.

13. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Yes. Although your music isn't going to be assigned to a level like I would imagine the Playstation songs were.

There is a related bug though, at least on my device. If you're playing music when you jump into the game, it won't turn off the in-game music and the options won't let you either, as it tells you that it's off and doesn't let you toggle it. You have to enter the game without playing music, turn the in-game music off, and then start your iPod music up again.

14. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    it's a shame to hear there's a bug with playing your own music...but not nearly as shameful as people playing this without the original music! really, it's a crime.

i'm sure we'll be getting some tweaks and fixes relatively soon. id has a pretty decent track record in the app store thus far.

15. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I am getting this right now at full price. Carmack is someone who without which most the games I play probably wouldn't exist. What he is doing for the iPhone is impressive and I want to support as much as possible.

16. seanmcbay

seanmcbay New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I agree. I would have waited for a price drop if just some random dev ported this.

17. It was worth the price as far as I'm concerned, no matter who ported it. However, I'm happy to support id in the hopes they'll see good success and bring us more Doom packs, Quake, and Quake 2. :)

And would it be too much to ask for a proper off-rails Doom 3? Clearly it can be done. It just need to be.

18. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Brought. Its DOOM, i have to buy it even though it's a bit pricey. Halloween bonanza shopping spree going on with me :eek:

19. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I cranked the sound and was playing Doom in a dark room on Halloween. SWEEET!!!

20. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

Doom Classis is probably one of the top games. i wish u can put the old codes like idkfa, or iddfg like back in the pc days.