Universal DOOM (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by doctorded, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Ugh a $6.99 port of an old game? Were any changes made, or was it just pasted onto iPhone?
    What makes this game so good? It seems to be getting a lot of attention, though the graphics looks unplayable to me.

2. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    The tilt slider I see adjusts strafing but not moving per se. I'm using the middle control scheme now. Have not tried resizing d pads. Does resizing adjust sensitivity?

3. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Idkfa- keys and ammo, give- just ammo, idclip- walk through walls, idqd- god

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It was a revolutionary game in its time. That's what all the hype is about. People used to get obsessed over Doom, especially Doom II(coming soon). It's a fun game still. It used to scare the sh@t out of people too.

There were slight changes made, but nothing too noticeable. Just minor improvements.

5. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    The creator posted at one point about the process, choices, and work involved in getting the experience on the iPhone. Not just pasting, but I know what you mean. Yes-it's the same old Doom, in it's perfect glory and with cheat codes, buttery screen rate, and excellent controls for your iPhone. Not to everyone's taste perhaps but job very well done. A price drop certainly could happen but no regrets here picking this up at full price. It loads very fast ad well making it great for quick iPhone sessions.

6. dboobis

dboobis Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    People not knowing Earthworm Jim I can almost understand. But not knowing Doom is unforgivable.

7. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    well, at least he's aware of it(though i don't see how you couldn't be) as opposed to many in the earthworm jim thread. but calling the graphics unplayable and questioning what makes it so good is rather insulting. it's definitely one of those things you had to have experienced and been a part of back in the day to truly appreciate. i'd recommend that that poster spend his 6.99 on Modern Combat or Nova when it comes out as opposed to this. if you don't have that nostalgia factor working for you, you'll be left with something that feels generic and basic in comparison to today's fps titles.

this game really pioneered the first person genre and 3D computer graphics. this is where it all really took off. the game was action packed, had a kickass soundtrack, fantastic lighting effects, and would scare the crap out of you. did i mention the networked multiplayer deathmatch and co-op it brought to the table way back in the day? it is to first person shooters what mario is to platforming games. it's a game that defines the word classic.

8. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    I rather think it's not sensitive enough :p

9. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    Not really that nostalgic for me, but it certainly is nice to have DOOM on my phone. Still just as great as it's always been (except for minor issues with the controls:p)

10. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I'd love to play doom on my iPhone...if it was doom64 or above. :rolleyes:

11. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    just wait 2 weeks, i bet it will drop to 1.99 :D

12. I find your lack of faith ... disturbing.

13. I hope they allow you to change the controls similar to Wolf3D. I know you can move them around now, but you can't arrange them the same way you can in Wolf3D.

I feel this is the far better layout, or at least it captures the WASD layout the best:

[​IMG]

14. Yes, you can rearrange them the same as you can in Wolf3D. Because the sticks are analog and move around in Doom though, you have to allow more space between the sticks and the buttons or you'll get some overlap. I find the default layout with the D-Pad on the left, turn on the right, fire at the top right and map/menu on the top left seems to work pretty well though.

15. Nice, thanks! Turning ramping off helped a ton.

Now if I can just have a little more freedom with moving controls around :D

16. Yeah I know you can move them around, but you cant separate the controls like you can in Wolf3D.. Try to get your controls to look like the picture I posted.. It's not possible. I can't have a strafe left/right in the bottom right corner along with the turning controls on the bottom left.

17. Ah, true, no, you can't separate out strafing. I didn't really mind though. Actually, I find the turn/move controls on the left and the wheel-like control for turning works pretty well. Better than an analog stick for turning anyway as it allows rapid aiming, which I like.

18. Yeah but with a feature that was in Wolf3D, why can't it also be in Doom? I hope there's a release that fixes this!

Okay after trying to pry the controls apart, i got them in the right areas.. however it still doesn't work like wolf3d.. the up and back controls are over top of the turning controls and take priority.. i can't turn left and right.

[​IMG]

19. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    You can wait for a price drop - Wolf 3D has started at $5 or $6; after a while, it dropped to $3 (or $4; it was then that I bought it) and, now, it's been $2 for quite long.

20. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm not understanding the control layout discussion. Is there a preferred control layout in Wolf that can't be done in doom? I use left control to move and strafe ant right control to turn in both games.