Universal DOOM (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by doctorded, Oct 31, 2009.

1. visatf

visatf Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I've been waiting this for some time already! :) Would be still nice if they released a free demo version also. I had a bit of problems with the controls of Wolfenstein and I'm wondering if this has similar problems.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Then don't buy it. :) A brand like Doom is a premium brand that will command a higher price.

Here are my favorite controls:

2 pre-set: Left stick movement, Right stick turning
    and Draw Controls: Off and Auto Use: On (so you don't have to tap on doors to open them),

arn

3. violatizzle

violatizzle Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    hey guys how does this run on 1st gen ipod touch? If it runs flawlessly then instant-buy for me!

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008

various control options. This was before I found the system I liked, which is:

2 pre-set: Left stick movement, Right stick turning
    and Draw Controls: Off and Auto Use: On (so you don't have to tap on doors to open them),

this makes it control like modern combat or eliminate

arn

5. all74

all74 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    #65 all74, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Where's the configurable straff? Please bring it back!

Just got it - love everything except the control choices. Wolf lets you drag forward/back, turn, and straff around independently. I can't believe that that's not an option in Doom! I love the controls in Wolf - I have forward/back and turn overlapped on the left, straff right above that, and shoot on the right. Doom's option 1 is close but there's no straff at all!

Please John C. Bring wolf's controls over to Doom!

6. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    The worst thing about this port is the shotgun audio. The gunshot sound is terrible and then there isn't a click-clack of the shotgun action that we had in the original Doom. It really doesn't "feel" like a boom stick anymore. :(

7. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Can you play online via wifi/internet? or is it just local wifi play?

8. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Can you play your own music, but keep the sound effects? That way I can download and use the doom soundtrack from the playstation game, which is much better than the original soundtrack.

9. idespair

idespair Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Having downloaded Doom Shareware for my Dad's brand new 486DX2-66 on release day, I'm happy to say that this looks, sounds and feels just like the Doom I remember from 16 years ago.

I'm using control set 3 (left: move/strafe, right: turn), with auto open set to on, and I've plowed through a good few levels on Ultra-Violence without any trouble. (3G)

10. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

shown different levels

control is not as easy as in Wolfenstein...

11. droppin' loads

Jul 31, 2009
    Halloween>Christmas

I think the game looks gorgeous. I was a bit depressed that the WiFi is lacking at the moment, but I have faith in Carmack with the update he recently gave out with Wolfenstein3D.

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's a perfect port of DOOM. It's got multiplayer. Nuff said.

13. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I concur, but they're not as bad as duke nukem. I'm using option 3 as well and although the controls feel less intuitive than wolfenstien it's still pretty easy to loose yourself into the game. I'm having fun with it.

14. Hudson RL

Hudson RL Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    England
    i was looking forward to this, but i'll get it if it get's multiplayer. i thought it was meant to have bluetooth multiplayer from its initial release?

15. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Thank you, Candy, from someone who sucks at these kind of games :). Any other codes, like give, work?

16. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Boy, this game really brings me back to when I tried the shareware version back when I had hair, and a waistline that wasn't so close to my age! The music, sound effects, exploding barrels, all in the palm of my hand.

Unfortunately it also proves that FPS's just don't work as well on any platform other than a PC. While I found a control scheme that works for me, and is definitely playable, it just doesn't have the precision of a mouse and keyboard.

In spite of that, Doom still proves why it's being played 17 years later.

17. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

May 12, 2009
    Please don't tell me that they won't release it in germany... :(

18. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    It should be released over there. Doom doesn't have the same "issues" as Wolfenstein does.

19. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm finding the default controls + auto activate just fine. The d pad floats and you can adjust or turn off tilt sensitivity for strafing.

20. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008