Universal DOOM (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by doctorded, Oct 31, 2009.

1. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    wow, eliminate, TP, and doom at the same time. if i were obsessed, i'd be going crazy right now :) well i currently have all 3, but i gotta roll in a bit, so ill post impressions tommorow morning, if someone already hasnt :)

2. drdanick

drdanick Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Student/procrastinator
    New Zealand
    Tap the center of the screen to use objects.

3. For $7 I was hoping for Doom 2 along with it.

4. drdanick

drdanick Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Student/procrastinator
    New Zealand
    Oh, and if ID allow custom .wad mods in a future update, I'd gladly host them along the Wolf3D classic maps on my site.

5. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Graphics look weird, but hey, what the hell, it's DOOM!

6. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Coming from Wolfenstein, the controls will feel a bit weird. Think of them as analog sticks though, and you'll be fine. I turned auto-use on after a few minutes because opening doors got annoying. I'm loving it though, I'm gonna have to beat this game all over again. I have a feeling that like Wolf, this will get a custom mod update in the future, which is where this will really shine. Multiplayer is gonna be great when I get some people together, I'm looking forward to it.

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I leave for a couple hours to go to dinner and all these games come out?!? Where were you all day long when I was bored out of my mind!

This is probably my most anticipated game, Eliminate and TPD will be cool, but this is freaking Doom. Downloading now, didn't even think twice. This is gonna be a fun weekend :D

8. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    ok well ive completed the first couple missions. the gameplay is quite smooth, even on older devices. but the controls get sort of annoying after awhile

9. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I'm getting used to the controls, but um... How do I change weapons??

10. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    tap on the guy's face

11. bdshort

bdshort Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I wonder if this version will make me motion sick... Back in the day, I could play this game all day long and feel fine. Then faster computers and the true 3D shooters came out, and I did fine with those too. But any time I went back to the old 2.5D shooters (Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke 3D) I could only play a few minutes before I started feeling queasy. Maybe the smaller screen would help, I just don't know if I can get past the now primitive graphics! :(

12. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    #52 seantyas, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Wow after all those posts of quite a few people saying yea we use tilt to turn, he took it out?!?
    Edit: ok afte playing a BIT, it's not the worstcontrols, duke really is the worst, but he built in tilt to move, so why not tilt to turn? It simply eliminates the need for one full control on the screen so ur right thumb just shoots

it really does move AMAZINGLY though!! So smooth

13. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    actually, with a smaller screen and fluid gameplay, might make you even more dizzy. i know how you feel, just doesn't have that original feel to it :(

14. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Game is pretty cool, 6.99 seems like alot considering the controls seem fairly easy to make…. Not sure why this port was such a huge deal compared to others… Doom = Win though…

Where is the full on Wi-Fi?? Maybe it will be DLC… but i needz Wi-F

15. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

6.99 is a steal for the amount of gameplay and old times sake the game has.

16. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I've played it a little bit so here are some impressions. On an iPhone 3G the gameplay is fluid on the first few levels that I played. I didn't play Wolfenstein so I can't compare the controls. The controls are reasonably good but it takes some getting used to and customisation for it to start feeling right. Was there supposed to be tilt controls available? I'd like to be able to independently adjust the sensitivity of each stick.

The start up time for Doom is amongst the shortest of all of my games. There is also auto save on interruptions. Very impressive and it makes it easier to pick up and play for just a few minutes.

After getting used to the controls, it feels like Doom, sounds like Doom. Get it if you are a fan!

17. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    I agree totally, unlike duke, I'll still play this cuz the controls are quite bearable, bit really hoping for tilt to turn to be added

18. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I mention it because I had heard that the android google or w/e it is has it for free... and I see no big difference in this port. I had no real issue paying tho. The game is bad ass and I like how u can choose the amount of enemies... Especially after reading how someone liked Doom II more because it had more monsters

19. Seeing as how I've bought this game before back in the 90's.. I feel $7 now for the same game seems a little much, seeing as how dated the game is.

20. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    This brings back major memories for me!! I used to play this with a friend when there was no broadband really aside from really expensive 128k ISDN lines! It was dialup but it was still fun playing Duke!

Btw, God mode still works, just tap your four fingers on the screen and type in God just like in Wolfenstein 3D :)