Universal DOOM (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by doctorded, Oct 31, 2009.

1. antosimoni

antosimoni Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    guys,
    one thing : wheres the "nightmare" difficulty setting?? I see only 4...

2. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    #242 reinhart_menken, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    Er...I just...got Doom 2 on my jailbroken iPod Touch. More precisely, I got Doom 2 levels on my iPod Touch. No, it's not the port that you can get on Cydia.

I don't know why it just occurred to me today - well I do, because I figured iPhone OS would require devs to use different extensions and stuff when converting from whatever you're converting from, and might require different way of packing resources. Should have looked on the first day, but we were all overjoyed at the day that Doom Classic came out. Anyways, I just took a look at the Doom folder on my iPod, and I found - doom.wad. I'm sure at this point a lot of you guys will be able to continue on along my original idea and finish it.

Anyways, for those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, .wad files are Doom series resources file that holds maps, levels, monsters, etc. I'm not that familiar with it myself, but I got the gist of it when I was playing mods on my PC - that it holds most if not all the most important game data.

Anyways, what I did was backup my savegame and the doom.wad (which naturally you should do when you're modifying and tweaking stuff), then I renamed my Doom2.wad to doom.wad (lower/upper case apply), drop it into the Doom folder, and viola.

I can now play Doom 2 levels (just pick a level), enjoy Doom 2 creatures, and have double-barrel shotgun. Difficulty levels even seem to work.

I don't know how many of you have tried it, but I just thought you guys should know. I guess John Carmac's expectation of modding would begin even earlier than he anticipated (when they implement that feature into an update).

ps. Disclaimer: Do at your own risk.

Proof because I know someone's going to ask me for screenie:

[​IMG]
    You have GOT to know what this level is.
    [​IMG]
    Double...- why do I bother?

3. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Interesting.

Anyway, just finished episode 4 on the hardest difficulty...every bit as awesome as I remember.

4. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #244 le'deuche123, Nov 6, 2009
    Okay I couldn't listen to the podcast, so can someone fill me in on when/if we're getting doom two?

EDIT: **** YEAH!!!! Still every bit as awesome as when I played it in the 90's.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Totally awesome.

Can't wait to play through Aliens TC again.

6. reinhart_menken

May 8, 2009
    #246 reinhart_menken, Nov 6, 2009
    Wow. I was hoping more people would find this exciting. Hopefully the lack of response is because people no longer check the thread, or you guys are too busy playing Doom 2 :D

Anyhow, for those of you who are not familiar with the procedure for replacing the doom.wad with Doom2.wad (albeit renamed as doom.wad), here's a rough procedure (since someone's asked me in PM). You'll need a jailbroken device.

Get WinSCP (this is a PC program, not an app). Enable wireless on your iDevice and connect to Internet. Find the network IP of your iDevice, by that, I mean the IP assigned to your iDevice by your router, such as 192.168.1.x.

Now run WinSCP, and input that IP address in there, user: root, password: alpine (sometimes "dottie", if "alpine" doesn't work, depending on firmware). If you're on iPhone you'll have to change SFTP to SCP (drop down menu below user/pass). It'll ask you some stuff because it's a new network key or whatnot, just click either update or yes. Now you're in your iPod's directories.

Go up one directory (the "..'), and find "mobile" -> "applications". Now you'll see a long list with numbers and letters. Those are your apps. Go through them all until you find Doom (there will be a directory in there named Doom). Go through that one and find "base", and you should see "doom.wad" in there.

Now make sure you backup your save file (not that important), and the doom.wad (very important, unless you already have that on the PC). Now get your Doom2.wad and copy it to that directory. Delete the doom.wad, and rename the Doom2.wad to doom.wad, all lower case (iPhone OS makes a distinction).

Now play.

I don't know if we can play TC's just yet though, on this set up. Perhaps we'll have to wait until id's made the necessary arrangements to make the game more modable. I tried using my Hexenher (hexen heretic doom) and the game just crashed. Maybe other TC's would work if they were simpler; I don't know. I'm sure most of us would appreciate knowing which ones work though, if any does.

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow, reinhart, that's sick! It's kinda like swapping the roms out in the Genesis emulator from Sonic. What's the level selection interface like when you do this? And does it actually "unlock" the double barrel in the weapons screen? I'm not jailbroken or I'd try this in a heartbeat.

8. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    For the people asking if Doom 2 is coming out... Of course, but they're still figuring out how they want to do it. An in app purchase, or one big special edition with everything in it. It'll be ready soon enough.

9. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Also, I wish they had Nightmare mode with respawning/fast monsters! That would be a nice challenge, as I'm finding the hardest difficulty too easy.

10. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    some of us are actually waiting for the dlc to come out and play it legitimately, and don't use jailbroken devices.

11. reinhart_menken

May 8, 2009
    #251 reinhart_menken, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    The level selection interface unfortunately is the same as Doom 1, but it still works (so you choose the first map, it'll be first level). And since Doom 1 and Doom 2 has different numbers of levels, you won't be able to just pick the last level of Doom 2. When you're in the maps though, it does show the correct name. I find I have to play on the third difficulty to see the Doom 2 monsters, obviously the second one is too easy to warrant them. Heh.

The level progression is normal too. You go from one level to the next.

And if by unlock you mean being able to choose and use the double-barreled shotgun, yes.

*Groan* I just hope this is not another "jail-breaking" is all bad sentiment...

I can understand if some of you are purists and want to just have a "legit" (read proper) Doom 2 app.

I'm eagerly waiting for Doom 2 dlc (or premium) to come out to play it proper too (proper app and everything), but I've paid for my Doom app, and still I prefer to play Doom 2 - if I can. I just got Doom to support id and show them that there's an interest for Doom 2 and more games from them.

12. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    You can also use a Goldeneye 007 wad with this game :p

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 007.png
      007.png
      File size:
      433 KB
      Views:
  13. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    no no, by all means it wasn't. i was listing two separate reasons as to why people may not be responding. one, proper release. two, lack of jailbroken devices.

14. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yeah, that's why I haven't responded. I love Doom and I am totally looking forward to Doom 2,(and Quake, of course!) but my Touch isn't jailbroken. Love the screenshots, though! :)

15. reinhart_menken

May 8, 2009
    Oh alright :p Sorry for my reaction then :) I can certainly understand that, as I'm waiting for Doom 2 as well. I probably overestimated our jailbroken population, come to think about it.

Wow that is cool. Good find :)

16. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Thanks for the information, Reinhart_menken. I ended up purchasing Doom Classic based on the fact you found that you can also play Doom2. I installed my ancient 3.5 floppy version of Doom 2 and used its wad, and sure enough, it works just as you said. Kudos man!

Seeing those mini-gun toting guys again..good times :p

That aside, somewhat disappointed that the menu system for Doom Classic looks so amature. What is with the giant icons? It reminds me of some Visual Basic program. The level selection and difficulty selection process seems kind of..thrown together. The entire interface could use an overhaul, seems very rushed to me.

But hey its doom, and it controls great. Enjoying it =)

17. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I don't like the selection screen when you die. I keep pressing 'add gear' by accident, and losing my saved position. I suppose I could just stop dying.....

18. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Strange, I think one time I accidentally hit restart instead of Resume save, but after deliberately killing myself and reloading save, I went back to where I last saved.

19. antosimoni

antosimoni Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    are there any plans for Hexen, Heretic and Hexen II ??

some1 knows wheres the nightmare difficulty setting ? I only have 4 icons...

20. Bronson15

Bronson15 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    How do you insert the .wad files to Doom.app?