Universal Doom and Destiny (by Matteo Nicolotti)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 12, 2013.

1. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Man this is game of the year for me, and I don't even like RPGs much, thank you for pointing this one out

2. Hound16

Hound16 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Great rpg suddenly appearing out of nowhere. Tons of entertaining secrets, hilarious dialogue, cool skill based character progression. Definitely one of the best games this year. I recommend playing on hardcore difficulty though if you've played rpgs before, otherwise combat is too easy.

I would have liked some input into assigning character classes (although you can conceivably just use different skills to customize each character just as you want, for example the "pirate" can either be a damage dealing bard with debuff and damage skills, or a priest type setup with just heal and buff skills. This setup isn't very clear though and you sorta need to figure it out for yourself... Then again that might be part of the fun).

All in all fantastic time sucking beaut.

3. jontas

jontas Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Can anyone clarify how turbo mode works during battles? I'm aware that holding down the right side auto attacks and speeds everything up, but it seems like it is a little more involved since if you hold down + a direction you get different icons. But all four icons just seem to auto attack--I figured they'd give more choices like auto guard or auto skill.

I guess the only thing confusing me is the different icons depending on the direction you hold that all seem to do the same exact thing. Anyone figure this out?

4. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    lol I never really noticed that. I always did turbo in one direction. It looks pretty broken to me. I'm guessing it's supposed to be Skills/Attack/Magic/Flee. Holding down the right button also does auto attack but without the increased rate.

Hardcore is really starting to get to me. I managed to clear the first arena past the bridge with Judas (lol@that character) but Mike died like 20 times in that last battle from all the hate he generated via healing. I regret having stacked one stat each character. ><

5. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    My iPad's "Language" setting is "English". But the game ignored that setting and instead auto-selected its language based on "Region Format". I don't think that's a good way.

6. defunct32

defunct32 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Try killing the app via multi-tasking (ensure to save your game first), then on the main menu under "Extra" there's a language setting, play around w/ that... Unless this is a glitch then, let's hope for a fix in the next update.

7. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I've wiped twice so far on hardcore. Once at the red ninja's house and the other at old grey's demon on the bridge. I gotta get better skills to clear Red but I managed to drop the demon after changing my setup. :D I can't believe I'm using potions!

What time did you guys clock in on hardcore?

8. defunct32

Jun 25, 2013
    #128 defunct32, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Speaking about clock, is it just me or is the in-game timer on the save screen was kinda fast or something? And I noticed some part of the game aren't optimized for iPhone 5 screen resolution, there is still borders by the side.

Anyone of you spotted any typos, yet? I'm a bit nitpicky when it comes to great RPGs having bad grammar and typos, haha. Otherwise this is a game NOT to be missed! I'm having a blast and am planning to play this real slow...

9. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    There are a few typos/spelling mistakes but not many; not frequently enough to annoy.

Jamie

10. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    It would be awesome if there was some way to know what the heck the gear actually did. Is there some way to know and I'm just missing it?

I mean, the descriptions are amusing and all, but I'd really like to know the stats on a bone or 2x4 or hammer. What on Earth does a Tankard do and why do I have to choose between having either that or a cardboard-box helmet?

The inventory system needs a lot of help.

11. defunct32

Jun 25, 2013
    Try to equip it and before selecting to actually equip the item you can move left/right over other characters to see the stat differences, although when it comes to a character specific items you can't compare. Guess, you're right, a brief description of the item's stats would be great like ATK +20, DEF +15. But as a general rule as long as the equips increases my stats I just equip them.

12. defunct32

Jun 25, 2013
    I see, what's great about mobile app is the fact that patches, fixes can be made to make an app as perfect as possible, they should polish this game as much as they can

13. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Kemco should hire this guy to teach them how to do a rpg without choppy and laggy animations when walking in the cities and overworld.

14. defunct32

Jun 25, 2013
    Hahaha, I think the problem is more than just choppy and laggy animations, this guy need to teach KEMCO how to do a brand new RPG altogether w/o rehashing, re-using any elements from their previous titles.

15. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I agree. I actually enjoyed Symphony of the Origin a lot, the combat is great and the graphics are a step above their other games, BUT it still has the jerky scrolling when you're walking around.

16. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    What the heck? A decent length old school rpg that's actually good and it's only a buck? The price is all wrong, should be minimum 2 bucks.

17. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Yeah. $2 would have been a steal, even.
    This is a great game. I sort of hate most RPG's on the AppStore, with the exception of Chaos Rings and ports. This game is really good though.

18. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #138 Echoen, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    You can check what exactly an item does by going to Menu > Handbooks and then selecting the appropriate header and scroll through the lists and look for the item. Tedious, but you'll get the info you want with every discovered item, whether you bought it or just browsed over it in a store. No direct way to compare though. I wish there was! And it would be nice if a skill's element and attack type showed up while selecting skills in battle.

Gear per tier often come in 2 flavors. For weapons, it's either stronger hits or more mana/sustain or for melee, either blunt, sharp or piercing. For armor, it's a choice between more power or more defense

19. defunct32

Jun 25, 2013
    #139 defunct32, Oct 21, 2013
    I still haven't got that one, yet. On the fence, I bought Alphadia 1 and 2 and they're the same game, I don't feel like I'm playing a sequel, it's more like an expansion/DLC, way tooooo famliar, there's no difference it's scarily alarming.

Oh! This game was powered by RPGMaker, interesting!

20. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #140 The Gamer Dude, Oct 21, 2013
    Ha ha, if true one of the best RPGs I've played in recent memory is made with RPG maker :)

This easily beats all the Kemco ones I've played. Probably the best one on IOS I've played. Love the dialogue in San Moriaz- oh you look poor, lol