Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    It's in the first line of the description. The compatibility list is controlled by Apple and notoriously misinformed.

Don't punish the game studio because of Apple.

And if you can't bother to read the first line of the description before throwing money down, well...I give YOU a 1-star.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

to stress this point, don't blame Klei for this, blame Apple. The only thing that attitude will do accomplish is to limit developers from producing on Apple devices.

Do you REALLY want that?

If you want to do something, read and contact Apple to complain about it. Get a refund. But don't be a jerk and rate a game 1 star because you didn't take the time to either read the description or deal with the people who don't allow developers to be more restrictive, Apple themselves.

On another note, has anyone been able to resolve the issues with multiple stacks? Moving them/cooking/etc?

3. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    ##

Reading the reviews in the App Store convinces me there's no hope for man kind.. ###

4. gamecoder

gamecoder Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    USA
    Is there a way to split stacks of items? If I have 5 carrots I'd rather not drop them all for a trap (I do know about baiting a trap but that's no good because you lose the item). Also would be useful for putting some of a stack in a chest but not all.

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I also want to add that the game world doesn't always load with your preferences, i. i choose "long day" and only 1 out of 10 games actually start with long day, the other 9 start with normal day/dusk/night durations.

Please devs, if you read this fix the day/night durations in preferences along with bigger UI options, stack usage, and a V-stick control scheme maybe instead of tapping everywhere.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The best way to get in touch with the devs is to directly post on their forums, tweet at them or use their support email.

By the way, not sure if you know but you can move the character by dragging around your finger, but the movement is relative to the center of the screen. It's still preferable to continuously tapping for movement.

7. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i know, thanks though :) my biggest problem is i've been starting and deleting games for the last 10 minutes trying to get the "long day" seeting to work.. if anyone knows a workaround on that, i'd appreciate it because right now it seems like i have to get really lucky to get the long day even though it's selected in world preference.
    Previously i posted 1/10 games, now i'm not sure about 1/30...

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I've managed to create three consecutively successful long day worlds. To do so, I changed the setting in the World option, applied and then repeated the process two or three more times (basically going into world settings and applying repeatedly). Worked each time, for both with and without Reign of Giants. But yes, the game does have some issues with custom world generation.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #149 Vovin, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

Hm... there definately must be. On PC, holding CTRL while left clicking a stack will give you exactly half of that stack, if the stack is an odd number, it'll give you half of the stack rounded down.
    If you want to drop just ONE item on the ground from the stack that you have, then hold CTRL the click on the ground where you want to drop the item.
    But I don't have the game yet (on iOS), so I dunno how this translates to iOS. Tried double-tapping or pinching, or maybe holding a finger on the item while tapping with a second finger somewhere else?

Oh, another little Suggestion for all you guys. You can carry a little more items than allowed to. Craft a campfire but don't drop it down. It won't take up space in your inventory. And campfires always come in handy. Works with other items, too.

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    There is no way to split stacks on the iPad version. A lot of the stack based operations seem to be missing, I've already tweeted at Klei once about this. Hopefully the small issues here and there will be ironed out in a few updates soon.

Also, this was mentioned on reddit, if you craft and item, don't place it down and then craft another item then you lose the originally crafted item.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #151 Vovin, Jul 14, 2015

Hmm... can't believe this, this wouldn't make sense. No splitting stacks? Who on earth would, let's say, light up a whole pile of gun powder at once? I'll dig into this. Are there options where you can manage controls? PC has an option where you can tether the split action. Or can you try the following? Grab the stacks from inventory to cursor, then tap or double-tap on either the ground or inventory to try to make a single separate stack. Because on PC, if you press control and click on an inventory Slot without bringing it to the cursor, you will divide the stack evenly into two stacks, one in inventory, one on cursor.

Oh yeah, sorry if that suggestion came across wrong. You can always carry one crafted item, and it's always the last you've crafted. I meant to say that it works with a lot of different items, but there's always just one you can hold.

12. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #152 sapphire_neo, Jul 14, 2015
    Just got a tweet back from Klei, they are investigating both issues now.

Also, the options cannot be modified in any way. You can only change UI settings.

I've tried pretty much everything possible I know of in terms of iOS UI and controls, nothing works. The game doesn't even use a double tap gesture, which is sort of a positive because that's one way of adding these operations into the game.

13. Bernzwong

Bernzwong Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 26, 2011
    Thanks mate will look out for it!

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Ok, thanks for trying! Can't wait for this to come to iPhone to try myself.

15. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Is it coming to iPhone?

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Klei posted a picture on their instagrammed, linked a few pages back, as a "joke" comment to the titling of an iPad only version as pocket. They were pretending to put an iPad in their back pocket, but the iPhone sticking half out of the front was running Don't Starve.

Official? Not completely. But based on that there's little doubt it's coming.

17. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    This is so good... I didn't play like this since a long time. I don't care about the icons, the game is so deep, brrrrrr... Such a good game on ios..

18. nhal

nhal New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Are there any plans on mfi controller support?

19. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I play this game on iPad Air iOS 8.4 (no jailbreak) and is crashing every 5-10 minutes. Until an update to fix the crashes this game is unplayable for me. :(

20. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=259448][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265993][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265930][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265908][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266079][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265913][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265929][​IMG][/thread]

Don't Starve: Pocket Edition

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

July 9th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo